MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > IKO PLant on West Elm

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: IKO PLant on West Elm  (Read 6150 times)

cullet

• Active Talker
IKO PLant on West Elm
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »

Anyone know what's going on at the old plant on Elm? Thought it was closed, came by there the other day and there must have been a dozen semi's in there, saw one waiting with doors open trailer was empty so they must be picking up.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: IKO PLant on West Elm
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »

Anyone know what's going on at the old plant on Elm? Thought it was closed, came by there the other day and there must have been a dozen semi's in there, saw one waiting with doors open trailer was empty so they must be picking up.

Roger Homrich bought at least part of it a few years ago.  Seems like they're just using it for warehousing space.  Sounds like that might fit with what you were seeing.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »

I noticed activity over there as well and thought it looks like warehousing.   There's often trucks there, but not many cars if any so there isn't any manufacturing go on.   There's a Haynes sign up too, so it looks like he'd gladly sell or lease it if he could find someone who wanted it.    The northern end of the property is a pretty big mess and parts are very overgrown.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »

I noticed activity over there as well and thought it looks like warehousing.   There's often trucks there, but not many cars if any so there isn't any manufacturing go on.   There's a Haynes sign up too, so it looks like he'd gladly sell or lease it if he could find someone who wanted it.    The northern end of the property is a pretty big mess and parts are very overgrown.

Here's the cpix listing on the property.  Only being offered for lease at this point.

http://www.cpix.net/listing/9697821/1151-W-ELM-AVE-Monroe-MI-48162-2801

I don't know about any manufacturing currently going on there but 6-7-8 years ago (they start to run together so not sure exactly) Loretta Flour Milling (they bought the former Amendt Milling on E Front street) expanded over to the building.

They still show up on the assessor's website as having personal property at that address although there can be a time lag with that.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »

I remember when the neighbors whined and IKO moved out.  Whining seems to be a popular pastime in and around this area.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »

When I first moved to town I was about 7 blocks West of that operation and on those rare days when the wind was out of the East I didn't have to look at a flag to see what direction it was blowing from.  Terrible Sulfur odor.....I always felt bad for those poor folks that lived right up next to it. 

Was never sure which came first, the purchase of those homes or the smell coming out of that plant.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »

When I first moved to town I was about 7 blocks West of that operation and on those rare days when the wind was out of the East I didn't have to look at a flag to see what direction it was blowing from.  Terrible Sulfur odor.....I always felt bad for those poor folks that lived right up next to it. 

Was never sure which came first, the purchase of those homes or the smell coming out of that plant.

Here's a 'time line' of events at that plant from an article in the MonroeNews:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2011/apr/17/paper-mills-a-monroe-way-of-life-part-1-timelines/

July, 1997 â€" IKO Manufacturing Inc., a roofing products maker, buys the recently closed Jefferson Smurfit west side mill.

I'm guessing there may have been some strange odors back when it was a paper and packaging plant but I don't recall the uproar until IKO started production in the building.  The time line mentions that when the plant originally was put there the field to the west (where all the homes are now) was a vacant field.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »

Thanks, that was interesting.

I lived in the City back when all the complaints were brought to Council.  Entertaining to say the least.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »

Always interesting when you see people drive a business out of town...   

Kind of like Bedford driving Whitman Ford out.  I'm sure there are other examples
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »

Always interesting when you see people drive a business out of town...   

Kind of like Bedford driving Whitman Ford out.  I'm sure there are other examples
IKO made defective roofing shingles
http://gotaclassaction.com/iko-manufacturing-named-in-class-action-lawsuit-over-defective-shingles/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »

So did Certainteed:  http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/
And GAF: http://www.roofsettlement.com/
And there's a case out there for Owens Corning too but they might get out of it due to the timing of their asbestos-related bankruptcy.

But at least those are made in someone else's back yard.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »

So did Certainteed:  http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/
And GAF: http://www.roofsettlement.com/
And there's a case out there for Owens Corning too but they might get out of it due to the timing of their asbestos-related bankruptcy.

But at least those are made in someone else's back yard.

Thats the key phrase...'Someone else's back yard'   All roofing plants stink, it's the nature of the business.  Drive out the Ohio Turnpike east past the Route 250 exit and take a whiff.  The Certainteed plant on the north side of the pike stinks too.

No one wants any detractions in their backyard so they run out the industry and then complain of unemployment and lost wages.....  Go figure, a nation of whiners.  I rest my case.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »

I can certainly understand not wanting that smell in my front or backyard all the time.  I hate to see job loss too, but a manufacturing process that puts out that odor right in the center of a town would be outright disturbing and deserve complaints. 

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

No one wants any detractions in their backyard so they run out the industry and then complain of unemployment and lost wages.....  Go figure, a nation of whiners.  I rest my case.

So you’re in favor of the brine injection wells out in your area now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up