MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Windows 10

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 17217 times)

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

Just glad I have Win 8.1
 I resist giving in to the Evil Empire!!!!

Microsoft finally kills support for Windows 8. It's the end of an error

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/15/technology/microsoft-windows-8/
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 08:26:40 AM »

Just throwing this out there so others may be aware.

Latest Windows 10 Update Reportedly Removes Some Software Without Authorization

http://hothardware.com/news/latest-windows-10-update-reportedly-removes-some-software-without-authorization

I finally updated my 'old' desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 yesterday.  No issues so far and it actually seems to have (at least for now) cured a minor (but irritating) issue in Firefox.

I had done my laptop not too long after the update started.  I hurried on that to stay within a 'warranty' situation but had no issues.  I don't use it very much although my wife uses it quite a bit and we haven't had any problems (other than having to figure out a few things).

The last few steps of the update yesterday informed me that the update had 'removed' a few programs and apps!!!

Not a notice that they were disabled and what issues they might cause if they were re-activated...

just that they had been REMOVED!!!

None of them were anything I had paid for and a couple of them were really bloatware from HP when the computer was brand new.  One was a wifi management assistance program that win 10 must have replaced.  I haven't really looked into it yet but I'm using that machine to post and obviously it's working!

The one that bugged me the most was SpyBot...  I use that fairly often but it was free anyway. 

Anyone know if it really won't work or it they have one that will work on Win 10? 

I'll dig into it and try to figure out a work around.  I really do like SpyBot...  simple and it works!

I guess at this point I'm just happy the machine survived.  I did back up all my photos and any docs and files that couldn't be duplicated. 

The next thing is to see if it will last.

Our oldest daughter has a tablet with Win 8 and the last I talked to her she's just going to leave 'good enough' alone ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »

I'm still running a desk with XT and a laptop with VISTA,  I'm sticking with it.  I've not read anything that 10 will make either one better

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »

I'm still running a desk with XT and a laptop with VISTA,  I'm sticking with it.  I've not read anything that 10 will make either one better

So, am I.  Chrome don't support Vista anymore but I have no issues at all, same with XP.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »

I used to use Spy-Bot but CCleaner is much better and it supports everything...and it's free too.  I use that Defraggler and Recuva, all Piriform products, all freeware in File Hippo.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:21 AM »

So far I'm doing just fine with it!  I probably should have updated sooner ;D ;D ;D

I'm still trying to figure out how upgrading corrected the issues I'd been having with FireFox :-\ :-\ :-\

I was also having some problems in the Windows video editor...   I'll have to go check and see if that is working now!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »

I'm not updating primarily because my computers are old, have no memory and slow processors.  10 isn't going to help load thousands of ads every page i go to.  The video's suck up all the capacity.. If I try to load something before all the ads get loaded the computer is likely to lock up.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »

I'm not updating primarily because my computers are old, have no memory and slow processors.  10 isn't going to help load thousands of ads every page i go to.  The video's suck up all the capacity.. If I try to load something before all the ads get loaded the computer is likely to lock up.

I put Ad Blocker on my computers, works fantastic and it's freeware too....  Really cleans out MT (showing 4 ads right now).

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »

I'll look into it.  Ads are annoying. I don't mind the ones that sponsor something I'm looking at.  But they load hundreds just to have then there in the event I happen to tap or click inadvertently

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »

Since I purged it last month, it's blocked over 69,000 ads.  5 on this site while I'm posting this.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »

Geesus,  It's like i have a new computer.  It just flys now.  those damn irritating ads gone.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »

Geesus,  It's like i have a new computer.  It just flys now.  those damn irritating ads gone.

I got reamed verbally by CL.  She said I never told her about AdBlock.  Thought I did, guess I didn't.  She has it now as well.  It's a great free program.

I like CCleaner too.  been using that for years now.  It has some neat custom features like a registry clean up and I use Defraggler to defrag the drives.  Defraggler lets you choose which files to defrag so it's quick.

I hate pop up ads.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »

The regular defrag runs half the day.
You did the right thing in admitting you probably didn't tell the wife about the ad blocker..  Things go easier that way

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »

Besides...he didn't.   :)
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up