MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 26990 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »

Sounds like Enbridge may be 'investing' even more of their $$$ into Michigan...

not necessarily in a good way though!

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/nancy-kaffer/2018/05/13/michigan-chamber-enbridge-donation/590519002/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »

Sounds like Enbridge may be 'investing' even more of their $$$ into Michigan...

not necessarily in a good way though!

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/nancy-kaffer/2018/05/13/michigan-chamber-enbridge-donation/590519002/

Called 'greasing the ways to get what you want'....  Considering Enbridge makes millions in profit from line 5, a couple hundred thousand is chump change.

Besides, when it ruptures, those on the greasing side can change their opinions in a flash and still smell like roses..

Money has always talked and politicians have always listened to the 'Swan Song' of it.

Nothing new there.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »

Called 'greasing the ways to get what you want'....  Considering Enbridge makes millions in profit from line 5, a couple hundred thousand is chump change.

Besides, when it ruptures, those on the greasing side can change their opinions in a flash and still smell like roses..

Money has always talked and politicians have always listened to the 'Swan Song' of it.

Nothing new there.....

Just because it's not 'new' doesn't mean it should become acceptable! 

We wonder what is happening to our country and part of the problem is we have become way too complacent to just let the politicians run the country and pocket the profits!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »

I agree 100%,  Tell me how we break that cycle, inquiring minds want to know.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »

I agree 100%,  Tell me how we break that cycle, inquiring minds want to know.

Change the laws to where legislators can not accept anything from a lobbyist and can't go to work in the lobbying field after their legislative career is over. 

I doubt they'll ever go that extreme on their own so the people are going to have to do it ourselves and I don't think enough people are that concerned about it. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »

I would agree.

Watching CL and the Township and how that plays with citizens, this scenario constantly replays itself....

People only become concerned and active in politics when it directly impacts them or they have a 'dog in the game' and when that happens, they get real active but it never lasts long.  Usually it lasts just long enough for them to air their discontent and when it don't go exactly their way, the 'fade back into the woodwork' and become non participants again.

I've watched that play out countless times.

I find it amusing and sad at the same time.

People 'elect' officials and then forget about them until the cycle repeats itself and then they 'elect' the same people again without ever even  taking a look at the candidate's voting record or affiliations or what they do or don't do.  Seldom is an elected official elected on their merits and track record.

Case in point, John Conyers or Walberg.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2018, 08:04:26 AM »

Problem is, the elected officials won't legislate anything that negatively impacts them.  Why would you cut your nose off?

A good example of that is insurance reform in this state.

While the state garners little from the line 5 pipeline directly, the state gets a ton of revenue in the form of 'donations of dark money' from the petroleum lobby.

Greasing the ways and pizz on the state, ecology or the citizens that will bear the brunt of any disaster.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »

Some people starting to wake up.
Article in Blade praising Marcy Kaptur for bringing so much to Toledo in her years of a politician.
More than one comment about she didn't bring anything.  It was our money to begin with

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Article in Blade praising Marcy Kaptur for bringing so much to Toledo in her years of a politician.
More than one comment about she didn't bring anything. It was our money to begin with

And they're right...   

it is taxpayer money to begin with.

Would those same people that don't like Kaptur have preferred all the money that came to Toledo instead had gone to Cleveland. 

There are websites that will show how much 'pork' every federal legislator was able to 'bring home' to their district. 

The bottom line is the taxpayers are going to pay no matter where the funds end up so might as well get some good out of them versus no good whatsoever.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »

An independent study shows the potential for what might happen if Line 5 leaks.  The crude oil could foul hundreds of miles of shoreline and cleanup costs plus lost tourism could top $2B.

Enbridge had an interesting response that this case 'could never happen'...

I'm sure that is what they would have said about the Kalamazoo spill before it happened too.  Just a reminder we were at the scene of the Kalamazoo spill last December and there is still restoration work being done with plenty of large pieces of excavation equipment on the scene and working!!!

More at:

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/report-lake-oil-spill-in-michigan-would-cost-nearly-2b-07-19-2018

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »

Was in the paper today as well.  False claim however.  It stated that almost 1/2 of Michigan's propane comes through Line 5.  Not true.  Nothing comes through Line 5 that Michigan uses.  All goes to Canada.

I expect no less from Enbridge.  It can never happen...until it does, just like the Kalamazoo River.  Could never happen, but it did.

Hopefully, I'll be passed when it does, but it will eventually, unless it's shut down.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2018, 09:55:55 PM »

More than one comment about she didn't bring anything.  It was our money to begin with

Kaptur is just another turd in a dress.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

The Toledo Blade has bragged her up for 40 years or whatever it's been.  She does nothing..  I always had to be careful what i said because my father-in-law was always on he reelection committee as they were neighbors.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »

Kaptur and Maxine Waters come from the same mold.  Do nothings but with Maxine, she has a big mouth too.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up