MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 27000 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »

I know someone who was digging in the side yard and hit a pipeline that was less than a foot underground, less than 12"......  Unmarked and shallow....  (was Panhandle Eastern btw).
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »

These old lines are time bombs waiting to explode, rupture or worse...  polluting the ground or water...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »

I know someone who was digging in the side yard and hit a pipeline that was less than a foot underground, less than 12"......  Unmarked and shallow....  (was Panhandle Eastern btw).

They tend to be the worst I run into around here on a regular basis :( :( :(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 06:55:16 PM »

I was in Southeastern Ohio when my cousins neighbor decided that he needed a pond in his cow pasture.

He is a can do kind of guy, unhindered by the thought process, so he immediately proceeded to get the dozer and head to where the thought the pond needed to be, and he started to dig himself a hole.

About the time he had removed 2 or 3 feet of top soil there was a tremendous bang, and it appeared he hit himself a big rock.  He banged it a few more times, but the darn thing simply wouldn't budge. 

They were scratching their heads, thinking about getting explosives or a back hoe, and that was when the Tenneco Helicopter showed up, with an emergency crew to find out what the big vibration was that they picked up in the Natural Gas Pipeline.  It wasn't long after that when the ground crews showed up - and they took over his pasture for the rest of the summer, and I think he even got threatened with violating an easement, and the consequences that goes along with that if he even raised a fuss about that.

It was very entertaining.  Glad it didn't rupture.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2016, 08:52:19 PM »

This is an interesting and ongoing scenario down in Alabama. 

We hear all the time how these pipelines are so safe because they have sensors that will shut them off in the event of a leak...

the theory is they will shut down before thy pump any major amount of product out onto the ground or into a stream or river or whatever...

apparently that didn't happen in this case!

252,000 gallons of gasoline leaked before it was discovered and shut down...

that is a lot of 'product' to lose!!!

A lot more difficult to clean up gasoline than it is crude oil due to safety concerns!

http://www.wtol.com/story/33093665/colonial-pipeline-252000-gallons-of-gasoline-have-leaked-in-shelby-county
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »

Sounds like Kalamazoo...  I see there is a big stinko over the Waterville gas compressor station too.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 09:32:14 PM »

one thing about gasoline, it will vaporize but one spark and it's 'off to the races'...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »

I went back 'after' I posted and read the article and all the attachments...

it still wasn't the pipeline's equipment or staff that found the leak or shut it down automatically.

It was someone walking in the area and smelled gasoline...

at least they didn't light up a cigarette to wait for responders to get to the scene!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »

I read that as well.  You'd think that the pressure monitoring devices would have recorded a pressure drop and alerted employees....  If they worked....  That is Federal law that the monitoring devices are installed...  Working is another story...

Just like Kazoo...  pump it to nowehere....

When the NG like ruptured out here some years back, the automatic shutdown did work, but not before the fire turned the ground to glass.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »

I read that as well.  You'd think that the pressure monitoring devices would have recorded a pressure drop and alerted employees....  If they worked....  That is Federal law that the monitoring devices are installed...  Working is another story...

Just like Kazoo...  pump it to nowehere....

When the NG like ruptured out here some years back, the automatic shutdown did work, but not before the fire turned the ground to glass.

The major pipeline, one pipe of which has been severed, provides gasoline for an estimated 50 million people on the East Coast each day, according to company estimates. The cause of the leak has yet to be determined, according to the company's most recent statement.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/16/investing/gasoline-prices-shortage-pipeline-leak/

This article is really about how gasoline prices are already jumping along the east coast but I did catch this part about the pipe being 'severed'...

my first thought is just what does it take to 'sever' a pipe?

I realize that with the pipe completely severed it wouldn't take long for several thousand gallons of product to escape but on the other hand it should have caused an absolutely instantaneous drop to 'zero' on the downstream pressure sensors which should have triggered an almost instantaneous complete shut down!!!

Something happened here that Colonial is not talking about so far...

will take some time for them to 'whitewash' the incident I'm sure :o :o :o

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »

I'd say it's gonna take a lot of whitewash....Is Colonial a sub of Enbridge?  Besides, how does one 'sever' a pipeline?... and of course, no one was at the 'off ' switch either.  Probably playing Euchre...

Dam lucky no campers or motor vehicles nearby.  Can you imagine what kind of explosion and firestorm 250,000 gallons of weasel pee would make????

I cannot wait for Line 5 to 'sever'.  It will at some point and even if it gets shut off immediately, all the product in the line will still leak into the Straits.  Just because you turn it off (even at both ends) don't do anything for what the line contains and, it's pressurized to boot.

Great thought isn't it?  When it happens, there will be much finger pointing and political postulation, all at the enviromental expense of the Straits themselves and the tourism and the fish and the trees and wildlife...

Enbridge puts me in mind of Hillary Clinton.  Lies. lies and more lies.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »

The oil lobby in Lansing is very strong (as in whitewashing our elected  leaders with money and favors) that was proven to Summerfield Township with Trendwell and that fiasco.

Neither Lansing or the oil lobbyists give a dam about the citizens or the enviroment, it's all about money, big money.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »

I'd say it's gonna take a lot of whitewash....Is Colonial a sub of Enbridge?  Besides, how does one 'sever' a pipeline?... and of course, no one was at the 'off ' switch either.  Probably playing Euchre...

Dam lucky no campers or motor vehicles nearby.  Can you imagine what kind of explosion and firestorm 250,000 gallons of weasel pee would make????

I cannot wait for Line 5 to 'sever'.  It will at some point and even if it gets shut off immediately, all the product in the line will still leak into the Straits.  Just because you turn it off (even at both ends) don't do anything for what the line contains and, it's pressurized to boot.

Great thought isn't it?  When it happens, there will be much finger pointing and political postulation, all at the enviromental expense of the Straits themselves and the tourism and the fish and the trees and wildlife...

Enbridge puts me in mind of Hillary Clinton.  Lies. lies and more lies.

Do they play Euchre in Alabama?

And now they're upping the estimation on the size of the spill:

Al.com notes that the same statement quietly increased the estimated amount of oil thought to have been spilled. Previous reports had the amount at 6,000 barrels, which is equal to about 252,000 gallons, according to

Al.com. But the news site notes that Colonial's most recent statement puts that estimate closer to 8,000 barrels, or 336,000 gallons.

http://newsmasterapp.com/article/i6331653087559680515?app_id=1106

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »

Good ole boys all play Euchre... ;D

I don't believe Colonial knows how much actually spilled and never will.  Evidence of that is it wasn't shut off.  Just kept pumping away....

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »

Leaks and failures are gonna happen no matter what.  The issue is, who is monitoring the lines..  We know no one at Enbridge...  Colonial?  Anyone's guess.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up