MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 18692 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »

All my in laws are resolute Democrat Trump haters and that don't stop me from getting in their faces.  I enjoy it actually.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »

Enbridge has argued that the UP needs line 5 to supply part of their propane.  This report argues that it would cost very little to bring the propane in by rail or truck.  More reports to follow soon.

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/report-michigan-doesnt-need-line-5-propane
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »

That is rank bullshitte on Enbridge for even saying that.  Line 5, from Superior, Wisconsin is untapped for product.  None of the product carried is used/ cracked here in Michigan and has no impact whatsoever on the UP's propane supply.

They should be ashamed of themselves for advancing a blatant lie, but then they lie all the time, anyway.

Don't believe everything you read, I don't.  Pretty easy to follow Line 5's route and see if there are any production facilities along it's route...  there aren't.  Just compressor stations and valving facilities.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »

Hard to believe that there has never been a Federal ban on anchoring near the pipeline and power lines.  Now it will appear on charts.

I wonder how this will impact Schuette's lawsuit against the tugboat company?

The only 'notice' prior to this was the signs posted on the shore.  Those could be 2.5 miles away which would certainly make them hard to see.  On the other hand the tugboat operator was somewhat local so should have known what all was down there!

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/08/feds_move_to_ban_anchoring_in.html
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »

Enbridge is now being allowed to operate Line 5 at full pressure for the first time since the anchor strike.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/06/line-5-maximum-pressure-federal-regulators/917610002/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »

candidly, I don't care if and when it comes apart and how much pollution it causes.  No point in worrying about something that is a political football anyway.  I hope when it blows people come to the realization that they had a chance and blew it.  Probably not though.  People are STUPID.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »

Your tax dollars at work preparing for the potential disaster...

no where does it say this is about Enbridge's pipelines but based on location it's not too hard to figure out. 

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/coast-guard-partners-perform-recovery-training-exercises-in-straits

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »

To shut down the pipe line it would take a decision by Michigan politicians.  Anyone think that's going to happen.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »

To shut down the pipe line it would take a decision by Michigan politicians.  Anyone think that's going to happen.

Not until all the environmental groups become better funded and are able to 'lobby' the politicians with the same amount of cash that the oil companies use.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Not sure how much impact this will eventually have but Senator Peters is hold an investigative hearing on Line 5.  I'm guessing it's mostly an opportunity for photos and sound bites but if it goes somewhere then more power to him. 

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/sen-peters-holding-public-hearing-in-traverse-city-about-line-5

I saw yesterday that the feds are in the process of turning all of the clean air regulation back to the state level so we may see the same thing with water quality in  the near future. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »

We got up early Monday morning in Grayling and drove to Mackinaw City for the bridge walk.  We parked at the DNR Marina and could see the Enbridge dock and building but there was nothing at all going on this year.  One pickup in the locked up fenced in paddock.  After the walk we drove to the other side of town where the pumping facility is.  When we got there we saw a large group of young hippie looking people all standing and looking around.  Several had cameras taking photos and one young man had a very sophisticated and expensive looking video camera.  Of course they gave me the 'evil eye' when I drove up as they had no idea who I was and maybe wondered if I was there to hassle them.  I got out of the truck and walked over and said "well obviously this isn't a stockholders' meeting" and they thought I was 'cool' so we talked environment for a bit.  They are with a group that is doing environmental studies in the lower 48 and are focused on water quality.  They didn't know a lot about the anchor striking the power cables and the pipes themselves so I filled them in some. 

Some pictures I took at the pump station.

This is the robotic gate guard.  It kept asking me to insert my card for entry.  I kept telling it that all I had was my library card but it didn't seem amused!  The very bright LED lights near the top by the cameras kept flashing so I figured I'd take a picture of it since it was obviously taking pictures of me!  I wonder if they have photo recognition that will tell them who I am?

A general view of the pumping facility.

Obviously they don't want anyone digging around their old pipes!

I would not want to pay their electric bill.

I guess if the crude oil doesn't get you the hydrogen sulfide gas will ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »

A major gas line explosion out in PA this morning.  Took the operator 2 hours to shut down the flow.  I'm not sure why Enbridge thinks they can shut down Line 5 any sooner that that.  Took them much longer than 2 hours to shut a smaller line down in Kalamazoo.  Like any big business they decided they had to 'study' the situation before shutting it down. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2018/09/10/pipeline-blast-fire-leads-to-evacuations-in-beaver.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »

Even if you could instantly shut the valves at both ends of Line 5 off, all the product in the pipes would still leak out and pollute the Straits.  What people don't take into account.  There is a lot of product in the pipes at any one time and it's all pollution worthy.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »

Of course not.  Just like the no fault insurance and MCCA.  Money always talks first in Lansing.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »

Apparently it wasn't a good day for pipelines.  This was the same day as the natural gas pipeline rupture and explosion out in Pennsylvania! 

This is a Buckeye line and may be one of a few that runs across Monroe County.  If you keep your eyes open you realize there are pipelines throughout the country as they make the big turn skirting Lake Erie.

https://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-spill-indiana-river-2603647566.html

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up