MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 18567 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »

Sounds like we may be keeping an eye on these 'old' pipes another 10 years or so.  I'm wondering how much this tunnel will end up costing the taxpayers before it's over.  I'm guessing the money would rebuild a lot of roads and sewers across the state!!! 

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Concern-and-anticipation-surround-possible-Line-5-Pipeline-Tunnel-Proposal--493882481.html
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »

I'm for just shutting line 5 down and scrapping the pipe.  We all know who will pay for a tunnel and it ain't Enbridge.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »

This article is of the opinion that the USofA is "awash" in oil...

so why is Snyder so intent on helping Canada push their oil across out waterways and lands?  Let them just purchase what they need from the US production sites and shut down Line 5.  If they really, really need it they can build a pipeline around the great lakes and hopefully when their pipes leak it will only pollute their own back yards!!!

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/09/22/pipeline-companies-are-racing-to-solve-this-100-mi.aspx
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »

Maybe because the nerd is getting greased by the oil lobby here in Michigan....  Seems as though money talks and voters and Michiganders walk in this state.  Loomkat Randy Richardville as an example.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »

I see Snyder reached a 'closed door' deal with Enbridge concerning the Line 5 fiasco.  Enbridge is to build out, over the next 10 years at a cost of 50 million, a tunnel under the straits to carry a newly constructed Line 5.  It will be 100 feet below the bed of the Straits and large enough to drive a vehicle through for inspection.  Enbridge plans to offset the cost by 'leasing' the space to other utilities so they can receive rent payments.

My issue with it is, Line 5 stays in operation, unabated, for the next decade while the tunnel and new pipeline is constructed.

Enbridge stated that no tax dollars will be used for construction.  I also have an issue with that.  In as much as the State of Michigan receives no compensation from Line 5 whatsoever and all the crude from Line 5 goes to Sarnia, Ontario for Canadian consumption, not domestic consumption, I think Enbridge should be paying rent on the ground the pipeline takes up, based on gallons of flow per day.

They are getting a helluva deal right now and what happens if Line 5 pops it's cork in the next decade?

Issues to ponder.

Of course not a word about it in the Monroe News.  It was however, in the Toledo Blade on the front page on Tuesday.

I sometimes wonder about the level of professionalism at the MN.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »

Interesting that there is no comment.  I'd say that besides the poor choice for governor this election, Line 5 is the hot subject....

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #261 on: October 26, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »

I don't think most people care about line 5 or even know what it is

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »

People in Michigan especially need to be aware of the implications of a Line 5 rupture.  If it lets go, the entire upper lakes will be impacted, including any drinking water coming from the lakes.

I was very surprised that the MN never put anything in the paper concerning it.  The Blade had it on the front page...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up