MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Am Searching for good butcher shop

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Am Searching for good butcher shop  (Read 2963 times)

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
Am Searching for good butcher shop
« on: September 18, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »

I am wanting to work on getting our large freezer stocked for the winter and need some good recommendations on butcher shops - am mainly looking for hamburger, boneless chicken breast and thick cut pork chops. I want good deals so I can buy larger quantities and use the vacuum sealer :-)  I am in the Newport/Monroe area so anything local would be great.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Am Searching for good butcher shop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »

I am wanting to work on getting our large freezer stocked for the winter and need some good recommendations on butcher shops - am mainly looking for hamburger, boneless chicken breast and thick cut pork chops. I want good deals so I can buy larger quantities and use the vacuum sealer :-)  I am in the Newport/Monroe area so anything local would be great.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

Whatever happened to the little meat shop just east of Newport on the south side of the street...  would be out near the post office.  I haven't been in there in years.  Never bought much meat from them but did buy quite a bit of their jerky. 

Monroe doesn't have much in the way of an actual butcher shop.  Danny's is as close as you'll get in my opinion. 

I also recall a place in Lambertville where we would stop and buy some stuff for grilling on the way home from the kids' sporting events.  Again, haven't been in there in years.  Maybe blue2 will know where I'm thinking about on that one.

My wife works at Kroger (I know, not always the best meat) so it's convenient for her to just bring home whatever we need for dinner that night.  She watches for the specials and we freeze those.  If we need to buy meat for a big BBQ we usually go to 'House of Meats' in Toledo.  They have multiple locations.

My by far favorite meat market down there has long ago closed up.  I believe the name was Woelfert's.  It was in town but on Airport.  Best German sausage maker (outside of Germany) I've ever been to. 

Interesting that in an 'advanced society' we now buy most of our meats from Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, Costco, etc :( :( :(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »

Dunbar Meats in Milan is pretty good if you are looking for a big time butcher shop.

I think they will generally help you find a pig or cow from a farmer to get butchered.

Not sure about Chickens.....

Otherwise I'm a fan of House of Meats in Point Place.

I know they sell packages - and their prices and meats are good.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:46:12 AM by Monroe Native »
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »

Whatever happened to the little meat shop just east of Newport on the south side of the street...  would be out near the post office.  I haven't been in there in years.  Never bought much meat from them but did buy quite a bit of their jerky. 

Monroe doesn't have much in the way of an actual butcher shop.  Danny's is as close as you'll get in my opinion. 

Interesting that in an 'advanced society' we now buy most of our meats from Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, Costco, etc :( :( :(

Thanks BRD: most of the time I do buy my meat from Meijer and Wal-Mart but since I am looking for a bit more in quantity, had hoped I could find someplace a bit better.  I have seen a lot of people that really like the meat from Danny's so may give them a shot and see what they have.  As for the one by the Post Office, we go down there so rarely but I know there is Lee's Market? I think it is but not sure what they have.  There is a store in Flat Rock (Jim's Butcher Shop) and he used to have some awesome chicken breast (they were huge).

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:27 AM »

Dunbar Meats in Milan is pretty good if you are looking for a big time butcher shop.

I think they will generally help you find a pig or cow from a farmer to get butchered.

Not sure about Chickens.....

Thanks for the info though not really looking into having anything slaughtered on the spot nor would my freezer be able to hold that much meat.  Thank you for taking the time to offer suggestions :-)

MarissaMGB

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »

In Point Place Ohio (right over the state line) there is Lee Williams Meats
use to go there with my grama when I was a kid, good stuff.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »

Thanks BRD: most of the time I do buy my meat from Meijer and Wal-Mart but since I am looking for a bit more in quantity, had hoped I could find someplace a bit better.  I have seen a lot of people that really like the meat from Danny's so may give them a shot and see what they have.  As for the one by the Post Office, we go down there so rarely but I know there is Lee's Market? I think it is but not sure what they have.  There is a store in Flat Rock (Jim's Butcher Shop) and he used to have some awesome chicken breast (they were huge).

Yes, Lee's Market was the place.  But like I said I haven't been in there for years.

Here's their website:

http://leesmarketrentalcateringmi.com/

They don't mention much about their meat selection so it may not be so good :-\ :-\ :-\
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »

In Point Place Ohio (right over the state line) there is Lee Williams Meats
use to go there with my grama when I was a kid, good stuff.

Thanks; will check it out if we get out that way :-)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »

The place in Lambertville is Howard's...   no website but plenty of info from a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=howards+meats+lambertville+mi&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS481US482&oq=howards+meats&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57.3944j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Lee Williams and House of Meats are the same in Toledo...   I think there may have been a buyout somewhere along the way because seems like they were two different businesses when we first moved here. 

https://www.houseofmeats.com/

They do have one location inside the Anderson's Market on Talmadge.

Or take a big cooler with you and go to Lambertville and hit Howard's and then on down to Alexis to hit House of Meats although my preference is their shop in Point Place on 131st street.  Take a ride on out to Lost Peninsula and take a look at all the boats.

I see their store on Alexis has wine tastings most Saturdays if that's  a draw ;) ;) ;)

https://www.houseofmeats.com/locations-1.html

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »

I look for meat stores and butcher shops that buy from local farmers instead of from the big meat producers.
Howards is one of them.  And there is one on Sylvania ave just north of Douglas in Toledo.  Zarboskys or something like that.  You can smell the garlic before you open the door.
There are two in Ohio, one in Elmore and one in Pemberville they buy local and do their on butchering.  And they make all their own lunch meats.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:07:44 AM by blue2 »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »

I look for meat stores and butcher shops that buy from local farmers instead of from the big meat producers.
Howards is one of them.  And there is one on Sylvania ave just north of Douglas in Toledo.  Zarboskys or something like that.  You can smell the garlic before you open the door.
There are two in Ohio, one in Elmore and one in Pemberville the buy local and do their on butchering.  And them make all their own lunch meats.

We get down around Pemberville once in a while...

will have to scout them out!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »

Halo Girl, I buy all of our fresh meat from Milan City Market.  Might be a little drive for you.  It's located in Milan, just off 23 on Dexter Road (Carpenter).

It's worth the drive.  Their meat is very fresh, very high quality, and cheap.  If you're looking for freezer deals, they have those as well.  Boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are HUGE.  They make their own sausages...  Their breakfast links and their sweet Italian sausage are the best I've ever tasted.

Take a drive and check them out.  I don't think you will be disappointed.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »

Kilgas Meats is a GREAT German meat shop.  I love going there to get Weiswurst, Garlic Knockers and the natural casing wieners!  Yesterday they were having a Kielbasa sale, $3.99 a pound. They also have German breads that are out of this world! They are located at 3346 Laskey.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »

I've used Dunbar as well, and i think they offer 1/4's of beef ---  that would fit in most medium freezers if you have a separate freezer.    If they don't have any they could let you know if someone is looking to sell when they butcher. 
If you were to speak with a shop like Danny's and ask if you bought in quantity - what they could do as well.    Family owned allows for more freedom-   haven't tried - but its worth a shot. 
There are several house of meats in Toledo - one on Alexis near Talmadge if you happened to be in that area...   they do have nice specials from time to time.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »

House of Meats gets most if not all off the market out of big stock yards.  Nothing wrong with most of it but I prefer places like Howard's and one in Pemberville. Milan might be local too.
I once ask for baby back at Howard's.  I was told they weren't the usual and they had to buy a from distributor.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up