MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 17159 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Dog Stories
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

I have two dogs right now - but I don't recommend it to anyone.....

They don't listen to me when they are distracted, they are more interested in each other most of the time, but they are the best of pals.  They have their own little pack.

But I could totally see them doing something like this!

VASHON ISLAND, Wash. (AP) - A Washington state animal shelter says a dog dutifully stood guard for a nearly a week on Vashon Island to protect another dog that had fallen in a cistern.

Tillie, a setter mix, only left Phoebe's side to try to alert people of her trapped friend.

Amy Carey of Vashon Island Pet Protectors says the two were found Tuesday after they were reported missing by their owners last week. Vashon Island Pet Protectors says volunteers looking for the pair received a call about a reddish dog being seen on someone's property a few times before promptly heading back into the ravine.

Carey says the Pet Protectors followed the tip and found Tillie lying beside an old cistern. Inside rescuers found Phoebe, a basset hound, on a pile of stones above the water.

The dogs were cold and hungry but otherwise unharmed.

"It's really quite remarkable," Carey said.

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/sep/19/dog-stands-guard-for-week-protecting-trapped/

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »

Great story......and one that reminds me of the first book to ever make me shed a tear, Where the Red Fern Grows!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »

Great book, and it makes me cry every time I read it.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »

LOL.......I was devastated for the entire summer the first time I read it.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »

This is one of the things my wife finds on Facebook and sends me early in the morning:

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

Amen......to this day Barlow touches my heart several times a week.  I catch myself calling Sadie Barlow often.  Getting dumped by my high school love didn't hurt this bad for this long.  RIP my friend!

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »

Not looking forward to that day! My black Lab is 14-1/2, but still going. Her eyesight is fading, and she is deaf as a rock. She can't duck hunt anymore, so that made me stop as well. Just not the same.

Want to know who loves you more, your dog or your spouse? Lock them both in a closet for an hour...then see which one is happy to see you when you let them out!
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

LOL

That was about the age of my little buddy when things started shutting down on him.  He was a lab mix as well and I only had one regret in how when the time came that I waited a day or two too long.  The last few weeks I would see signs that he was doing OK, and I believe I was in denial that he could make it longer.

I had the vet come here to the house to put him asleep, but that last 36 hours he didn't deserve at all.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

We lost our Jack Russel last week. She was only 7 years old but put up with a lot over them years. She was vaccinated back in May which caused her immune system to go nuts, then it was disease after disease. Finally got them under control, then had to taper her off Prednisone which took 6 months. Two days after stopping the Prednisone she got Pancreatitis. Spent 3 days in the hospital and came home worse than when she went in. She couldn't eat and got weaker and weaker till we had her put down. She slept with us every night and I held her everyday.  :'(
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I look forward to seeing my friends again.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

Nice!

I bet my Barlow is up there right now chasing kitty cats around that meadow.   ;)

We lost our Jack Russel last week. She was only 7 years old but put up with a lot over them years. She was vaccinated back in May which caused her immune system to go nuts, then it was disease after disease. Finally got them under control, then had to taper her off Prednisone which took 6 months. Two days after stopping the Prednisone she got Pancreatitis. Spent 3 days in the hospital and came home worse than when she went in. She couldn't eat and got weaker and weaker till we had her put down. She slept with us every night and I held her everyday.  :'(

My condolences Tiny.......wish I could say the pain goes away soon, but it doesn't.  Took me a long time to be able to think of my buddy and smile,,,,,but the day comes.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »

I still remember all the dogs we had and wish I still had them..you never stop thinking about them but the pain will go away

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:48 PM »

Boy did this open a Pandora's box of emotion for me. Give me a few minutes.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:56 PM »

Nice!

I bet my Barlow is up there right now chasing kitty cats around that meadow.   ;)

My condolences Tiny.......wish I could say the pain goes away soon, but it doesn't.  Took me a long time to be able to think of my buddy and smile,,,,,but the day comes.

It's bad at certain times like when we come home she would howl and squeal in the window excited because we were back. Then she would paw at the door knob trying to open it up. If we carried in any bags she would stick her nose in each one to see if we brought her anything. The kids called her bag inspector. In the evening while sitting in the Lazboy she would curl up in my arm. She would sleep between my wife and me every night right tight up against my leg. These times are the hardest.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:10:14 PM by Tiny »
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »

I greet my girl twice a day as I go by her grave.  I still have my horse's blanket hanging in the barn - it doesn't smell like him any more but it makes me feel like he's still here.  I miss them all - the big and the small, the abused and the neglected.  Mostly I miss the unconditional love.  They are all very special.  My condolences, Tiny. 
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up