MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 17076 times)

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »

When my "Bud" and I were integrated to a Unit we were always treated with suspicion. But once "my team" proved ourselves out in the field we got treated like royalty. Downside is that you were always targeted by the Bad Guys

Thanks BRD for your 10:45 post. Hit it on the head.

I now live in an apt. complex with a dog area outside. 4 out of 5 couples are amazed that I can teach their dogs to obey commands within 15-20 minutes. Everybody here says I need to get a dog.

Still too soon in my heart. If you've ever had a real working dog, not just a companion, that would and did take a bullet for you it takes awhile. And  I bet bet your wife and kids say they would do it, but in real life they may not.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:41:52 PM by arpydave »
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:26 PM »

We lost our Jack Russel last week. She was only 7 years old but put up with a lot over them years. She was vaccinated back in May which caused her immune system to go nuts, then it was disease after disease. Finally got them under control, then had to taper her off Prednisone which took 6 months. Two days after stopping the Prednisone she got Pancreatitis. Spent 3 days in the hospital and came home worse than when she went in. She couldn't eat and got weaker and weaker till we had her put down. She slept with us every night and I held her everyday.  :'(

I feel for you Tiny.  I lost Reese when she was only 6 to cancer, and I still think about what a grand old dame she would have made.  She was "my" only dog, I got her when I was single, and it was just her and me for a few years until I got married.  I still remember when I took an assignment in Japan how excited she would be when she saw me come out of the airport - and then five or ten minutes later she would remember she was mad at me for leaving and ignore me for awhile, but she always warmed up after a few hours of being mad.

Hardest thing I ever did was to take her to the vet the last time when she was just not enjoying life anymore.  I wanted more time, but it wasn't fair to her anymore.  I've had to do it since then, and it doesn't get any better, but I'll take the bitter end for the journey, even when it was as short as it was with Reese.

After Reese my wife said she would never do another dog - losing her was too hard.  Within two weeks she told me that someone was bringing some puppies over that evening for us to see, and that night we had Maggie, and a 12 year relationship started - certainly not the same, but equally delightful in its own way.

Now we have Moxie - who sometimes we swear is Maggie reincarnated into a Chessie - which is strange to have a Chessie act like a Golden.  I see a little bit of Reese in her too - she has a mischievous side to her, she likes to get into trouble.

She could certainly use some training from Arpydave.  She knows what I want her to do, but she has to be in the mood to do it sometimes.  We have to establish that I am alphadog at times.

Anyway - I had a good cry thinking about Reese and Maggie.  Its still tough and I still miss them, but like I said - it was worth it.

Hang in there - and get yourself another pooch when you feel the time is right.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »

MN and Tiny I feel for you both.

Get over the bad time and move on. Trust me  :'(

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »

We had a Rat Terrier before this one that lived to be 16 years old. My wife said the same thing. NO MORE DOGS too hard when you lose them.  It took a few years but my wife finally wanted another dog. Now she is saying it again but I think she will change her mind later.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »

Tiny, choosing to invite a pet into your family is not like deciding to become pregnant. Both are, and should be, long term obligations.

Glad you guys are communicating and deciding.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:45:30 AM »

MN: ya don't need expensive things, like Beggin' Treats. A couple of pieces of regular dry kibble at intervals is all it takes. That and a favorite play ball or whatever. 

They have a firm memory. But think of them as autistic 7 year olds. Not meaning to be offensive, but realistic.

They love to be loved. Just like all of us.  :)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I look forward to seeing my friends again.

Here's a YouTube about Rainbow Bridge...

different words but similar idea!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3COrHRJuo9Y

Here's another YouTube for dog owners...   but if you search YouTube you will find something for just about any pet!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_fSeQ6CbyA
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »

I've downloaded this graphic and have printed it out or made a sympathy card for friends when they've lost a critter...

Plenty more to choose from just by searching 'Rainbow Bridge' ;) ;) ;)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »

LOL.....I may have to block this tread, too much of an emotional roller coaster for me.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »

LOL.....I may have to block this tread, too much of an emotional roller coaster for me.

The videos can get to me pretty quick!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »

On a happier note I see on a friends Facebook page 2 dogs were found on his friends front porch.  Turns out the dogs wandered about 3 miles from home in Ottawa Lake.
The dogs were located with Facebook page:  Toledo Area Lost and Found Pets.
I wasn't aware of the page.  It works

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

MN: ya don't need expensive things, like Beggin' Treats. A couple of pieces of regular dry kibble at intervals is all it takes. That and a favorite play ball or whatever. 

They have a firm memory. But think of them as autistic 7 year olds. Not meaning to be offensive, but realistic.

They love to be loved. Just like all of us.  :)

I know!

Reese - the Golden I had when I was single - I worked with for an hour or two every night.

She had it down pat - and was eager to please.  I could command her to do something that was driving her nuts, but she would sit there and wait until the release before she would go.  She would have been a great hunter.

Moxie - my Chessie - first one I've ever had - I must admit I don't give the time to, I just don't have it, but I love her and have fallen in love with the breed.  She picks things up fast, but she doesn't appreciate the repetition, you have to mix it up with her.  Sometimes she decides that a battle of the wills is the way to go, and perhaps you are not the master, and no doesn't mean no, and that rule you gave her perhaps doesn't necessarily apply to her today.  She will quickly fall in line if you pull rank on her, but she just decides that a little test is in order. 

Her favorite is my wife decided when we got new furniture that it should be a dog free zone, and that seemed like a good idea.  Both dogs tend to disagree with this rule, but Bailey prefers to be sneaky about it - doing it when she thinks no one will catch her.  Moxie on the other hand doesn't really care.  She will lumber on up there when you are watching her, and then look at you to see what you are going to do about it.  If you give a voice command to get down, she takes it under advisement, weighs the risk against the reward, and the likelihood of someone getting up to enforce the edict.  If you walk over - she might even think about making a threatening sound - but she knows that will bring down the wrath of alpha dog on her (me), so she tends to stay away from that move anymore.  Typically anymore she will act like a two year old cripple getting off the couch, getting down while making moaning and crying sounds, and my wife will bemoan that she is going to have hip dysplasia, and die young of this or that disease, and that is why she was around for us to pick as a puppy.  I know she is just playing to the crowd like the ham she is.  She has personality, which is why I like her.

My wife took both dogs to dog training at the local public school.  She took Bailey the Golden, who eager to please did everything she was told right away, and she would do it over and over.  I got Moxie, who was far more interested in the room full of puppies, but would pay attention to the instruction, but didn't really feel like doing any of it for me.  I got disgusted and said it was a waste of time - I'd train her on my own, not like I didn't know how, and less distractions was better for Moxie.  My wife took Moxie, and sure enough, just to tick me off, she did every command for her, no problem.  It's not a matter of knowing them....  it's a matter of being willing to do them. ;D

Man I love that stubborn dog!

But believe it or not - she is a sweetheart.  If you don't feel good or you had a bad day - she is right there for you.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »

We took Sadie out to Petsmart for training, they did a pretty good job but I strongly suspect Sadie is a Liberal Democrat and would vote for Hillary if she could.

Barlow on the other hand was a mellowed out middle of the road kinda dog like me and most likely would have voted Independent if they would have let him enter the booth with me.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »

We took our Jack Russel to a training class, but determined she was ADHD because she was always bouncing off the walls. She had no time for training.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »

We took our Jack Russel to a training class, but determined she was ADHD because she was always bouncing off the walls. She had no time for training.

I always heard good things about Jack Russels.

Energetic, Stubborn, Smart.

My kind of dog.

If I ever decide to downsize - I think I'm going to try one.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up