MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 19020 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »

Our pup has many issues besides being blind but she knows out UPS driver and when he drops off any package, she's right by the gate to get her biscuit and her tail is about falling off...

Must be something on the pre-employment test that has to do with dogs because our previous driver who retired, was the same, dog friendly.  Even the Fed-Ex guys all have dog treats and the pup is always waiting.

Now the mail person, she could care less about and the mail person and her have no interaction at all.

Being a dog person, I can tell right away if any dog is friendly, scared or just nasty and I always act accordingly.

One of my chipper customers has a not so nice Doberman that I was warned about right away.  I have always ignored him and now he comes right up to me and wants to be rubbed.  I always let the pup decide.  I never decide.

A dog is a much better judge of character than a human is anyway.

Great pictures BRD...
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »

We were heading north on Monroe St yesterday and had to stop for the light at Dunbar.  A Blue Escape turned the corner heading north.  Their back window was down and there was a huge dog hanging his head out the window and enjoying the nice fresh air.  Not sure what it was but looked like maybe a Malamute.  Once the car got back up to speed the dog did pull it's head back in but he gave us a big smile when we pulled up beside him at the next light!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »

I just went to let the dog out as EMD was starting the 'last Wednesday' siren test.  The recording was talking and it seemed especially loud...   maybe the cold still air?

The dog stopped in his tracks and was really listening.  Must be confusing to a critter!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »

This is pretty cool if you're into training your dogs to do some complicated things.

This appears to be in Madrid and looks like some kind of a demo at a sporting event. 

The pup is an official police dog and you can see his little blue bubble light on his back. 

It appears to be a Rottweiler so he will definitely have enough weigh to perform effective CPR when he grows up. 

https://twitter.com/SAOFreq15/status/1010878829567643648

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Dog Names
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »

https://thestacker.com/stories/1477/most-popular-male-dog-names#1

I guess we're pretty normal.  We've had a lot of critters over the years and plenty of male dogs on that list.  We've had 5 of the 50 names they're listing.

Not so many female dogs but my big red dog was hands down my favorite all time dog and she knew it.  I definitely played favorites with here.  Snickers didn't break the top 50 on the list but she'll always be #1 on my list.

These are worth looking through just to see some beautiful dog photos.

https://thestacker.com/stories/1475/most-popular-female-dog-names

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »

Wow,  #50 Gunner looks identical to the last dog we had,  His name was Mace..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »

Wow,  #50 Gunner looks identical to the last dog we had,  His name was Mace..

I went through all the pictures and saw a couple that looked like dogs we've had over the years.  Definitely brings back some good memories.

I don't think 'Mace' made the top 50 list in either gender but that is an interesting name.  How did you happen to choose that?

We've had some interesting family discussions naming puppies but usually a name just naturally sticks!  We had a registered English Setter puppy (lived to be 17) and we were having a cookout in the back yard while we were all debating a name.  Someone had carelessly tossed an empty Bud Light bottle aside and the puppy started sticking his tongue down the neck of the bottle.  All at the same time I herd 'Bud' and 'Bud Boy' and both stuck.  He was Bud for short and Bud Boy when he misbehaved.  That really wasn't very often other than he went deaf fairly young so he was hard to control by voice.  Still obeyed hand signals though 'if' you could get his attention.  He was our outdoor guard dog for years.  We had ducks too and the ducks would rarely all sleep at the same time so they'd start talking if they saw something and then Bud would happily announce it to the world!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »

I'm  not sure about Mace. My wife chose it. It was her dog. I only fed it, groomed it, trimmed nails, walked it,bathed it and took to the vet. And it sat in the chair with her every evening

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »

I'm  not sure about Mace. My wife chose it. It was her dog. I only fed it, groomed it, trimmed nails, walked it,bathed it and took to the vet. And it sat in the chair with her every evening

That's about the way it was with our big red Snickers.  My wife did all of the above except I took her on long, long walks.  She was a hunter at heart and loved to walk and explore.  Some days we'd walk 3-4 miles and she was still always ready to go for one more lap around the woods if I would take her.  She liked my wife and would be very protective of her but there was little doubt whose dog she ultimately was. 

One day I was taking photos of a woman's house and she busted me.  One of the few times I ever got busted but this gal got me good...   or so she thought.  We had our Ranger pickup which had jumpseats in the back and Snickers loved to sleep in the back.  The woman must have seen me when I was taking pictures out the truck window when I was out in front of her house.  When I went around the block and went through the alley she was waiting for me by the garage and she decided it would be a good idea to get in my face and yell at me.  Snickers went from sound asleep to full on 'defense' in about a half a second.  Fortunately the dog was just too big to get out of the back through what little opening there was in the side window.  That woman sure went into full retreat in a hurry.  She was still talking but I was so busy laughing and Snickers was barking so ferociously I couldn't hear the gal as I drove away.  The dog just turned around and laid back down on the floor and let out a big 'sigh'.  She had done her work for the day.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Tiny Piglet and Tiny Puppy Become Best Friends
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »

Tiny Piglet and Tiny Puppy Become Best Friends

Another twitter find.

My Dad raised pigs on the farm when I was little.  They're an incredibly smart and crafty critter.  Occasionally the electric fence around their pen would short out and when it did they were like escape artists.  If there was a place they could squeeze through or bust open they'd find it. 

http://time.com/4234079/abandoned-piglet-friends-with-puppy/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter&utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

Saw a picture in an article where a cop was saying goodbye to his dog just before he was put down. Took me back to when I had to have my Buster put down 7 years ago, and even after all these years tears are streaming down my face. Man I loved that dog. Best friend I've ever had.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:29:19 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »

Problem with dog's in general is they live a much shorter lifespan than you do, so you get to watch them 'grow up', get old, and finally expire and it's always heart wrenching.  We right now have a 9 year old 108 pound chow / lab mix 'Mr. Quincy' that is a wonderful dog that someone abandoned in our driveway over 2 years ago for what reason, I have no idea.

He's well trained, housebroken, loves cats and kids and people, sleeps in the bedroom with us every night, looks mean and nasty but in reality is a milk toast.

Great dog that CL and I are very attached to.  Problem is, he will die here just like the others have and get laid to rest out back with the others.

We look at it as we are just providing him with a nice end to his life.  Being comfortable and wanted is a good thing for any dog (or cat) for that matter.

He's laying by my feet right now, taking up a lot of room and snoring away.  Very content.  Great pup, glad he came to us.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up