MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Countdown to Thursday... Amazon starts collecting sales tax on purchases...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Countdown to Thursday... Amazon starts collecting sales tax on purchases...  (Read 5479 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Starting at 12:01 AM Thursday morning, Amazon.com starts collecting Michigan Sales Tax on any online purchase made on it's website.

Because Amazon has a physical presence in the state (Ann Arbor and soon Detroit).

Guess I'll be changing my online buying habits to online retailers that don't have a physical presence here.

Just a heads up, Buy it before Wednesday at midnight or pay 6% to Snyder (to help defray the cost of the new office building and support the Lansing dysfunctional cabal........) ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
Re: Countdown to Thursday... Amazon starts collecting sales tax on purchases...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »

Starting at 12:01 AM Thursday morning, Amazon.com starts collecting Michigan Sales Tax on any online purchase made on it's website.

Because Amazon has a physical presence in the state (Ann Arbor and soon Detroit).

Guess I'll be changing my online buying habits to online retailers that don't have a physical presence here.

Just a heads up, Buy it before Wednesday at midnight or pay 6% to Snyder (to help defray the cost of the new office building and support the Lansing dysfunctional cabal........) ;D
Technically you should already be paying tax on items purchased out of state on your yearly tax return...although I doubt that many do this. With all of the shipping records, credit card use, etc., I'm surprised that states don't track and enforce this already, since it would be a huge revenue stream to them.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »

Or, just pay what you would pay at any store in this state. Why is that so hard?

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:49 AM »

Or, just pay what you would pay at any store in this state. Why is that so hard?

Some of the items I buy online you cannot get locally for one.  Secondly, I shop price.  I find better deals online.  It's not hard and I do buy locally (except gas and diesel which I buy in Ohio 'cause it's cheaper).

Nothing hard about it.  Just giving a heads up that Thursday will be tax day on Amazon, take it for what its worth...

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »

Technically you should already be paying tax on items purchased out of state on your yearly tax return...although I doubt that many do this. With all of the shipping records, credit card use, etc., I'm surprised that states don't track and enforce this already, since it would be a huge revenue stream to them.

Honestly, do you actually believe anyone would do that?  I don't.  Of course it's a huge revenue stream for the state.......to piss away.....

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »

Thus why the States are looking at ways to make the businesses keep track of sales by state -

Shopping price is one thing - there aren't that many states that don't have a sales tax if any...  as some use it in lieu of property taxes and it's even greater!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 04:02:56 PM »

Thus why the States are looking at ways to make the businesses keep track of sales by state -

Shopping price is one thing - there aren't that many states that don't have a sales tax if any...  as some use it in lieu of property taxes and it's even greater!
Wonder how that would play out in Michigan? At what sales tax level would they be able to not charge property taxes?
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

Wonder how that would play out in Michigan? At what sales tax level would they be able to not charge property taxes?

After Prop A - would you trust the State Government to fully fund your local Government from the sales tax?

I wouldn't.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »

I just filled out a very long survey from MSU concerning hunting of Feral Swine here in Michigan and a part of the survey asked if I trusted the state government.  You know how I answered that question...

Interestingly, under Michigan law, you can pop a feral pig anytime, anywhere with a CPL, no hunting license needed.  Handgun or long gun.

Maybe if Lansing gets enough revenue stream, they'll upgrade the new office building even more for the dysfunctional legislators....

I have no issue paying sales tax and I collect and report sales tax receipts that I collect on in state sales to the State as well.

My issue is, it's arbitrary.  It's only if the entity has a 'nexus' in the state do they fall under the collection premise.  Thats Amazon and no one else.

If I order online from Cabelas I pay sales tax, same with Wallmart.  I like Amazon for the variety, I've had them approach me to sell my stuff on Amazon but I declined.  I do just fine the way I am.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »

Rest assured, that will NEVER happen.  The Lansing boys will always have new and creative ways to piss money away.....

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »

That would be an interesting figure... 
Sales tax in Pinellas County - the State rate is 6.00%  and the County gets an extra 1.00%... 
By law the local governments can add up to 1.5% for a max of 7.5%
http://www.sale-tax.com/ClearwaterFL
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Hell, Lucas County is at 7%.....  but then the roads are smooth (for the most part).....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Hell, Lucas County is at 7%.....  but then the roads are smooth (for the most part).....

Take another look at your next receipt...   Lucas County hasn't been at 7% since Jan 1st!!!

http://www.sale-tax.com/ToledoOH

There's a nice county by county map for Ohio here:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/tax_analysis/tax_data_series/sales_and_use/salestaxmapcolor.pdf

I have no idea if any of their sales tax goes toward road funding though. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker

I think the no income tax is supported by these higher taxes and then higher property taxes as then the state doesn't "help" local governments - so it removes that dependency and reliance - 

And we all know that throwing $$ at roads won't fix anything - if the system is broke...  it just supports or perpetuates the problem
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

I think the no income tax is supported by these higher taxes and then higher property taxes as then the state doesn't "help" local governments - so it removes that dependency and reliance - 

And we all know that throwing $$ at roads won't fix anything - if the system is broke...  it just supports or perpetuates the problem

Yet the only fix I keep hearing the "Full Time" Legislature work on - in between Political Sex Scandals - is funding.

They never bother to address the broken system.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up