MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > History next door

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: History next door  (Read 14941 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: History next door
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »

An Mlive article this morning with several photos around Michigan when lumber was the major industry. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/vintage_lumber_camp_photos.html

I've never read anything about lumbering around Monroe County.  I'm guessing it was settled before the lumber era and they pretty much clear cut the land to be able to farm it. 

Right after WWII ended my Dad tried hauling logs in the UP north of Newberry.  His parents were there already and he actually met my Mom there so we've ended up going there my entire life. 

His Dad owned a gravel pit and they had old dump trucks but they hadn't been run much during the war.  They lifted the dump box off the truck and extended the frame and put stake pockets on it and they had a log hauler.  The biggest problem my Dad had with the truck was they couldn't buy new tires for it yet.  They had scrounged the best tires they could off the other trucks but a blowout or a flat was a very common problem.  After months of doing lots of work and not making very much money he finally gave up on logging and eventually moved to Midland and went to work for Dow Chemical.  He worked there his entire working days. 

The logger he worked for was 'Moonlight Smythe" or Schmidt.  There are books and articles written about him.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Interactive farm museum to be constructed in Blissfield
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2018, 11:04:36 PM »

I don't intend to dilute the thread but couldn't help but post this tidbit on what happened to the Confederate leadership after the war........slanted opinion, but the crux of the history is there.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/553359/where-did-confederate-leaders-go-after-confederacy-was-defeated
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2018, 08:40:23 AM »

I don't intend to dilute the thread but couldn't help but post this tidbit on what happened to the Confederate leadership after the war........slanted opinion, but the crux of the history is there.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/553359/where-did-confederate-leaders-go-after-confederacy-was-defeated

I don't think you're diluting the thread.  Monroe County sent a lot of soldiers and a few gallant officers to the Civil War. 

I know Custer's statue on the river is meant to depict him during the Civil War but have often wondered what his statue might look like had he not been killed the way he was :-\ :-\ :-\
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up