MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Anyone ever had their mower decks 'undercoated' with spray truck bed liner?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ever had their mower decks 'undercoated' with spray truck bed liner?  (Read 6104 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.

from BRD:....

..........I do have a power washer and have a lift frame outside so I can lift either mower up to clean them but it's still time consuming plus at some point both of these decks are eventually going to rust through.  My primary objective is to prevent more rusting and the secondary is to make the cached up grass release easier whether it's still wet or dried on................ 

Because we know each other personally, I'll refrain from being obtuse and saying....  get off your lazy arse and clean it, but I won't.  It's your deck, not mine.  My zero turn is about 15 years old now and minimal under deck rust because I pressure wash it to remove the damp caked on acidic grass clippings and it gets coated with slip plate every fall...

Like all power equipment, if you don't want to maintain it, sooner than later it shittes the bed.

Seems like you're missing the big point here...

I started right off saying I've taken good care of these decks (the Swisher I bought new and the CCs I inherited what was there when I got them). 

The whole 'point' of what I'm getting at is that my son's 'plastic' Honda deck the grass falls out from under when it dries...

I'm trying to both protect what rust damage has happened over 30-40 years plus trying to make it easier to clean when I do use it.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Seems like you're missing the big point here...

I started right off saying I've taken good care of these decks (the Swisher I bought new and the CCs I inherited what was there when I got them). 

The whole 'point' of what I'm getting at is that my son's 'plastic' Honda deck the grass falls out from under when it dries...

I'm trying to both protect what rust damage has happened over 30-40 years plus trying to make it easier to clean when I do use it.

......... and my point is, one, you know I'm a hardhead and two, you have no choices but to clean them regularly and coat them every year (fall).  Entirely different design from the rice mower.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Honda builds so nice and pricey stuff, I'll give them that but they also build some pricey junk too, like the GC line of engines.  Predators (Lufan's) are better and a helluva lot cheaper too.

Your son'r push mower is a long way from the big rider's you own....  Lots different airflow design and neither are compatible with your stuff, except they both cut the grass (or in our case, green weeds)....... ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

You are still my buddy and you still get that apple wood.............. ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

......... and my point is, one, you know I'm a hardhead and two, you have no choices but to clean them regularly and coat them every year (fall).  Entirely different design from the rice mower.

True for the original design but there are times when plastic does a better job...

this would be one of those cases 'if it works'...

I'm finding a few people online that have tried it but not sounding like anyone around here. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

Thats it.  Mine had a 2 cycle Tecumseh that finally crapped out.  Was the ultimate mulching mower, no clipping whatsoever and you could attach a rope to the handle (had rope eyes in it) so you could mow hillsides by standing on top and guiding it with the rope.  Pretty neat.

I hope it was easier to start than this one:

Flymo Lawnmower Fail

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

Here's one that starts and runs pretty good for as old as it is:

A 1980 Flymo hovering lawnmower Cold start and mowing

Looks like they're still in business but now they're doing robotic mowers:

Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200R - Lawnmower start-up

Here's a Toro 'HoverPro' (sure looks like the same concept) mowing on a small hillside:

Toro® HoverPro® Series Mowers

This one starts real easy:

Flymo Husqvarna HVT 40.AVI

Here's more on the robot mowers...   

they'd be neat to have if someone has a small yard and doesn't need the exercise of getting out and mowing!!!

Husqvarna Automower vs competitors

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Here's one that starts and runs pretty good for as old as it is:

A 1980 Flymo hovering lawnmower Cold start and mowing

Looks like they're still in business but now they're doing robotic mowers:

Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200R - Lawnmower start-up

Here's a Toro 'HoverPro' (sure looks like the same concept) mowing on a small hillside:

Toro® HoverPro® Series Mowers

This one starts real easy:

Flymo Husqvarna HVT 40.AVI

Here's more on the robot mowers...   

they'd be neat to have if someone has a small yard and doesn't need the exercise of getting out and mowing!!!

Husqvarna Automower vs competitors

The Toro is a dead wringer for the one I had except my deck was charcoal colored.  They work real well.  Wish I had it today.  Sidewalk to grass to sidewalk is no issue, never dinged a blade.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

The Toro is a dead wringer for the one I had except my deck was charcoal colored.  They work real well.  Wish I had it today.  Sidewalk to grass to sidewalk is no issue, never dinged a blade.

Seems like the air blowing down which gives it the 'lift' would also push the grass down that the blades are trying to 'suck' up to cut off evenly...   I'll keep my eyes open for a used one sitting in someone's barn.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Seems like the air blowing down which gives it the 'lift' would also push the grass down that the blades are trying to 'suck' up to cut off evenly...   I'll keep my eyes open for a used one sitting in someone's barn.

If you happen on one, I'll take it, engine running or not.  I have a Lawnboy 2 stroke in the barn in perfect running condition.

Actually, what happens is the grass gets blown down around the edge, but the fan that provides the lift sucks it back up in the center.  They work real well and no clippings, a true mulching mower... no bagging.

blue2

• Hero Talker

Not thinking about mowing grass today.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Probably whip up some dandy sno-cones....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

Now I'm wondering if the bed liner would work on an old snow blower?

blue2

• Hero Talker

I just use spray silicone in the augur housing and chute ahead of time and let it dry.  Spray it on my snow shovel too.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

I just use spray silicone in the augur housing and chute ahead of time and let it dry.  Spray it on my snow shovel too.

PAM cooking spray works too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up