MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Weatherizing

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weatherizing  (Read 1244 times)

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Weatherizing
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:17 AM »

I couldn't think of a better topic to start this thread in, so I'm putting it up here. I thought we may all want to share thoughts, ideas and questions on this topic.

What spurred me on to this is a friend's dilemma in a southern state. I need a sounding board and some tips or input. They are renting a portion of a duplex that from their description sounds like a wet or standing water crawlspace underneath. Several sinus and respiratory issues between them, their guests and the dogs. Also showing signs of mildew (perhaps mold). To reduce heating costs I mentioned that I'm putting up some of those blow-dry window seal kits, but their sister points out that doing that may make things worse, trapping even more moisture inside. I kinda believe that winter heating dries out air and may reduce it, but the sisters point of view causes me to step back and think.

Their property owner, the landlord (AKA slumlord  >:(  ) isn't responsive to dealing with the issues, even though I point out that standing water is ruining the structural integrity and will cost even more in the long run. They are on fixed income so they don't want to "rock the boat" and call them out on the base issue.  :'(

What say you? Is window sealing helpful or harmful in their case?   :-\

TYIA on their behalf.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Weatherizing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »

I agree with the sister that 'only' sealing the windows may make things worse. 

Is there any way to ventilate the crawl space so the water vapor level is reduced before it get up into the living space.  If that could be done then it may be just fine to seal the windows. 

The ideal (and of course most expensive) answer is to remove the standing water before it can vaporize up into the crawl space. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »

I agree draining or removing the water is the easier fix...   do they know the source of that water?

Hopefully it's not runoff from the tub or sinks - as it's common in some areas to not have those tied in to a sewage/septic system. 

Not sure if a large sheet of Visqueen (sp?) plastic placed on the underside of the home would help prevent further moisture - but it couldn't hurt.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

i would look for another place to live. 
I'm on a crawl and occasionally my sump quits and i don't know it.  I'll find standing water.  Mu first clue once was i found some mildew/mold on some of my leather shoes setting on the floor of the closet.  So yeah the moister can find it's way into the living quarters easily.  in the winter here in the north the furnace likely to take care of it.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »

Thanks to those who have replied. I have forwarded the info obtained to them. Not that I didn't trust y'all, but this was an immediate answer kinda situation. So I did cross-post (gasp!) to another Forum, but not another thread. Overall consensus reflects the same response from them is in order.

While still reluctant to relocate they are now better prepared to discuss with the property owner, in an informed, non-adversarial manner. That it's in his best interest including theirs, to at least rent a submersible pump to get rid of any standing water in the crawlspace. And take it and any underlying issues from there. If mildew, mold and their sinus issues resolve and no leaky plumbing chalk it up to drainage issues from an unusual wet season.

But I did remind them they have 2 pushed-in nose dogs and how I dropped a few hundred at an Emergency Vet once for my (late) Shar-Pei for a sinus condition. I think they'll drop the "we're gonna have to move" trump card if they don't get any semblance of action from him.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »

Thanks to those who have replied. I have forwarded the info obtained to them. Not that I didn't trust y'all, but this was an immediate answer kinda situation. So I did cross-post (gasp!) to another Forum, but not another thread. Overall consensus reflects the same response from them is in order.

While still reluctant to relocate they are now better prepared to discuss with the property owner, in an informed, non-adversarial manner. That it's in his best interest including theirs, to at least rent a submersible pump to get rid of any standing water in the crawlspace. And take it and any underlying issues from there. If mildew, mold and their sinus issues resolve and no leaky plumbing chalk it up to drainage issues from an unusual wet season.

But I did remind them they have 2 pushed-in nose dogs and how I dropped a few hundred at an Emergency Vet once for my (late) Shar-Pei for a sinus condition. I think they'll drop the "we're gonna have to move" trump card if they don't get any semblance of action from him.

The land (slum) lord needs to tread very lightly around anything that might even be perceived as 'black mold'... 

could be some heavy duty judgements if there are some actual damages to the tenants.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »

BRD: I did "volunteer" to place a call to their County Health dept. that as I stayed there i had issues and they indicated to me they had some drainage issues that the Landlord was slow to respond to. And perhaps they should "look into" whether this was an isolated instance, or if he was non-responsive to code violations.

I've learned along the way that local's complaints often get swept under the rug in the good 'ol boys networks. But out-of-towners that are lucid, unemotionally attached and know the system bring great credence and are more difficult to ignore. They are a BIG fly in the ointment.   :o

A trump card to lay upon his trump card.  8) 8) 8)

Pages: [1]   Go Up