MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Monroe County DHS Problems

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe County DHS Problems  (Read 2426 times)

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
Monroe County DHS Problems
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »

Is anyone out there having major problems with the Monroe County Department of Health and Human Services lately?

I know of THREE people now, who have recently recieved letters informing them that their Medicaid insurance has been canceled, due to the fact that they are ILLEGAL ALIENS.

No, I'm not joking.  I've known these people my entire life, and I KNOW they are born in America.  These people have major disabilities, to the point they can barely survive, let alone work.  They have been on Medicaid for over 20 years.  They survive on a SS check under $800 a month - TOTAL income.

You would think that it would simply be a matter of going in with a copy of your birth certificate...

Nope.

Not good enough.

The system is SOOOOOOOO screwed up, these people (who are in desperate need of the coverage) don't know where to turn.

One has hired an attorney to help them out, and the attorney can't even get the worker to return his phone calls, or meet with him.

I don't want to give away too many more details, but I was curious...

Has ANYONE else ran into any problems like this with the DHS?

If so, please contact me.  Send me a PM if you don't want to post it here.

I've talked with several other people who had similar issues, and we might be looking at a class action lawsuit.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:10:12 PM by livewire »
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe County DHS Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »

Live -

Is that Monroe County doing it or our kind and benevolent Federal Overlords?

You know the ones that some people want to be in charge of more and more - because they are the solution to all of lives problems?

Just Curious....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »

Medicaid is more state than federal isn't it. Although the Feds have their fingers in everything.

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:40:07 AM »

Is anyone out there having major problems with the Monroe County Department of Health and Human Services lately?

I know of THREE people now, who have recently recieved letters informing them that their Medicaid insurance has been canceled, due to the fact that they are ILLEGAL ALIENS.

No, I'm not joking.  I've known these people my entire life, and I KNOW they are born in America.  These people have major disabilities, to the point they can barely survive, let alone work.  They have been on Medicaid for over 20 years.  They survive on a SS check under $800 a month - TOTAL income.

You would think that it would simply be a matter of going in with a copy of your birth certificate...

Nope.

Not good enough.

The system is SOOOOOOOO screwed up, these people (who are in desperate need of the coverage) don't know where to turn.

One has hired an attorney to help them out, and the attorney can't even get the worker to return his phone calls, or meet with him.

I don't want to give away too many more details, but I was curious...

Has ANYONE else ran into any problems like this with the DHS?

If so, please contact me.  Send me a PM if you don't want to post it here.

I've talked with several other people who had similar issues, and we might be looking at a class action lawsuit.

Thanks.

Have them talk with the Social Security Administration. Someone may have hijacked their social security number. The SSA can go back in years and check on any activity for their numbers. Like debit/credit card numbers; getting stolen and used, so can social security numbers.
everyday is a new beginning....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »

The only contact I've had with them is about 3-4 years ago when our youngest daughter (partially physically disabled) went through a 'rehabilitation' job search and placement program there.  She went in first and took an 'aptitude test' and from there DHS did a search and sent her out for a 'trial' placement.  It worked out so good she ended up staying right there for a couple of years.  She ultimately moved to Florida to help care for a family member and she is now working for the State of Florida.  Everything with DHS was very smooth and I really have to say they went above and beyond any level we even expected them to perform at. 

I do realize this is a completely different scenario and probably different staff members and certainly a different timeframe but everything down there isn't 'messed up' either.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 07:37:24 AM »

Live -

Is that Monroe County doing it or our kind and benevolent Federal Overlords?

You know the ones that some people want to be in charge of more and more - because they are the solution to all of lives problems?

Just Curious....

The notice came from the Monroe County DHS, but it appears that the State DHHS is the one that determined they were "illegal aliens".  I have no idea how involved the feds are with this.

The appeals process (assuming these people didn't just run across the border) is handled through the county DHS, and according to the notice, will take months, at least.  All the while, they are going with no insurance, and they are only able to get the medications they have the funds for, since they are paying for them out of their own pocket.  The workers listed on the Notice are never available, and will not return phone calls.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »

Now on the other hand if these people were illegals coming from Asia or Mexico every federal organization would be helping them with everything they needed.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »

Call channel 7 out of Detroit or Channel 13 out of Toledo and the Blade and see if they can do anything to help.

I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »

good idea.  Once a TV station is convinced there is something fishy things change quickly

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »

Have them talk with the Social Security Administration. Someone may have hijacked their social security number. The SSA can go back in years and check on any activity for their numbers. Like debit/credit card numbers; getting stolen and used, so can social security numbers.

I agree that might be a strong possibility...

I'd also send a letter (probably even an email) to Senator Zorn and Representative Shepherd requesting their intervention. 

When I was in the Army one of my 'jobs' was to handle 'Congressional' calls...

When we received an inquiry from a Congressman I had to drop everything else I was doing and pull out all the stop to take care of it 'no matter what'...   

If they both push it off as being a 'Fed' problem then you'll have to move on up to that level. 

You can probably write and submit the 'letters' but they should be 'from' the person (s) being victimized as opposed to a third party.  The better it's written and the more facts you can provide the quicker they can help with the issue.  More than likely they just cut and paste your letter and forward it to the congressional contact for DHS. 

If nothing else I can almost bet you'll start getting some 'returned' calls from the local staff.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »

I gotta agree with BRD, a call or even better a letter to officials can help greatly.

After I got out of the Navy, my wife (also a Sailor) was getting stonewalled by her Admin people on some issues. And yeah, some could have labeled me as a Sea Lawyer  8*, but these things had been ongoing.

Long story short, I remembered that as a teen in Boy Scouts I served a Pancake Breakfast fundraiser to my Congressman, who was now the Secretary of Defense. Wrote him a letter reminding of it and our plight.  >:(

Shortly after, I was getting calls for appointments to resolve things. Not when they had time, but when was it good for me.  8) And definitely no negative issues to her and her duties, they knew we had a more direct line.

a) "Stuff" flows downhill.
b) Minions and peons are there to protect the upper levels. They get raises, bonuses and promotions by being the "stuff" filters.

Get the media or those in real control actually involved and and the pipe to the cesspool is no longer clogged.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!!!

The people involved are trying one more course of action at the DHS level, and if that fails, they will be taking your suggestion (which I relayed to them) of contacting their representatives, Senator Zorn and Rep. Sheppard.  That suggestion came from MANY people.  There are two different "workers" involved at the DHS.  One is a total Asshole, and the other seems to be much more professional, and that is where they are hoping to accomplish the fix.

We will see how this shakes down. 

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »

Live, just let them know not to use these suggestions as a "threat". Those folks will get defensive, snuggle in and set up to get their ducks in order on the issue. That's why when you're on the phone after asking to talk to their Supervisor you're on hold for however how long.

These tactics work better and have better results as a hammer.  8)

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »

Yeah, it's tough to go to bat for someone else...  If it was me that was directly affected, I would go in there like a bull in a china shop, and I WOULD get results.  The one that is affected the most in this situation is older, and much more timid, and less likely to stir things up...

But I'm educating them on how things really work.   ;)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »

The issue stems from the fact that the republican right demanded special waivers to expand the medicaid program:

The "Healthy Michigan" plan, as the governor calls it, includes several state-level reforms that differentiate it from Medicaid expansion programs that have been adopted by other states. Some of those reforms will require approval from the federal government, and the state already has begun writing its first waiver request.
http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/09/with_medicaid_signed_snyder_ho.html#incart_river_default

Let's not forget that the Republicans in Michigan control the House, the Senate, the Attorney General, the Supreme Court, and the Governorship.

So while LW is a frequent cheerleader for the republican right...I hope this little bite in the behind is a reminder that a vote for a republican is a vote against your own self-interest.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up