MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Stock Investments

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock Investments  (Read 7235 times)

retrobot

• New Talker
Stock Investments
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:43 AM »

I have always wondered about the stock market and the companies with the high valued stocks, Here's the list of most expensive stocks in the stock market today. Does anybody even buy such stocks since the future value cannot be great and whats the use of buying this much stocks when you can buy more stocks from good growing companies.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Stock Investments
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:15 AM »

I have always wondered about the stock market and the companies with the high valued stocks, Here's the list of most expensive stocks in the stock market today. Does anybody even buy such stocks since the future value cannot be great and whats the use of buying this much stocks when you can buy more stocks from good growing companies.

Various people buy stocks for various reasons but the two typical are:

1.  Short term gain which is what I believe you are asking about above. 

Buy low, sell high...   very simple ;) ;) ;)  If that is your scenario then the stocks on your list are probably not ones you are going to be looking at.

2.  Long term growth and return of dividends.

If that is your scenario then all of these stocks certainly may be worth taking a closer look at.  You need to do some more analyzing than what is provided but with the internet that is fairly easy to find that information.

Good luck...

please don't forget us 'little people' here on MonroeTalks when you strike it rich!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »

BRK with an annual return of 20% for the last 50 years, and an annual dividend?
One share would net you over $40K per year with just under a $200K investment. Pretty good return if you have that initial bump!
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »

BRK with an annual return of 20% for the last 50 years, and an annual dividend?
One share would net you over $40K per year with just under a $200K investment. Pretty good return if you have that initial bump!

No dividends from Berkshire Hathaway, just a solid return.  I think it was Kopke's doomsday thread where I posted that you could have purchased one share in 1969 for $43. It's about $210,000 today.

They (starting about 20 years ago) offer B class shares (BRK.B) which now track at 1/1500 the price of the regular (BRK.A) stock.  At $139 a share, they are a little more accessible to regular investors.  Even the class B shareholders get to attend the annual shareholder meeting which is quite entertaining.  Last year, Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger answered shareholder questions for five hours.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »

I switched to individual stocks long ago - as the "Funds" will churn and the fee's will kill the returns...

You can go with a broker - and get advice or do your homework.

Long ago a small group of us on the FD started buying one share of a company then register it into the Dividend Reinvestment Program (DRP)
where you can then buy shares as you can afford - and over 30 years the results have been nice...   
Quarterly I got statements and a form for adding a minimum amount.   

BTW - The wealthy barber is a good book to learn the basics of investing - and investing in yourself.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »

Good or bad, for better or worse, do with this info as you care. I'm not endorsing it, it just caught my eye and I thought I'd pass it along.

Eye-Catching Stocks: Duke Energy Corporation, (NYSE:DUK), DTE Energy Company, (NYSE:DTE)

http://wallstrt24.com/eye-catching-stocks-duke-energy-corporation-nyseduk-dte-energy-company-nysedte/243957/
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »

Companies in the firearms business like Colt, Ruger, HRA, Smith and Wesson, Savage Arms and Magpul Industries offer handsome returns on investment.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

Good or bad, for better or worse, do with this info as you care. I'm not endorsing it, it just caught my eye and I thought I'd pass it along.

Eye-Catching Stocks: Duke Energy Corporation, (NYSE:DUK), DTE Energy Company, (NYSE:DTE)

http://wallstrt24.com/eye-catching-stocks-duke-energy-corporation-nyseduk-dte-energy-company-nysedte/243957/

Thumbs up on Duke Energy!
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »

And DTE hasn't been too bad for a long term with a dividend yield currently 3.26%  when banks are holding money for nothing.

DUK is 4.14% div yield... 

Here's a site if you don't want to use etrade or other brokerage sites.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/duk
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »

No dividends from Berkshire Hathaway, just a solid return.  I think it was Kopke's doomsday thread where I posted that you could have purchased one share in 1969 for $43. It's about $210,000 today."

That's true. However, you can also win many millions in the lottery in just a few weeks after buying a lottery ticket today. By the way, did you purchase any Berkshire stock back in 1969? Very few did. Course very few hit ever hit a lottery jackpot just like only a small number hit the Berkshire lottery back then. 

John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »

Warren Buffet may be an azzhole politically but he's an astute businessman and he knows who to schmooze.

You'd be amazed as to what all he owns.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »

My laptop is running on Duke Energy right now.  We are just about as far south as they reach in FL.  We had a bit of a storm last night and the lights never even flickered.

Probably 20 or 25 years ago my mother in law bought a bunch of DUK and held it for a long time.  Finally when it was up close to $150/share she sold it off and it literally collapsed in just a few weeks.  I've told her many times she should have bought at least part of it back but she was happy with her little 'nest egg' she made from it.

When you're on 75 and crossing the Ohio (hard word to write) River at Cincinnati don't waste your time looking at the Bengal's stadium and you'll see a big building with Duke Energy on the front of it.

I know they're in several states from Ohio down to Florida along the east coast.

Go here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=DUK&rlz=1C1TSND_enUS399US399&oq=DUK&aqs=chrome..69i59l2j69i57j69i60j69i59j69i60.5758j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

click on Max and you'll see how they've done since 1978...

I'd think they're getting ready for another 'run up' pretty soon ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13510143/1/valeant-pharmaceuticals-international-vrx-is-todays-pre-market-laggard-stock.html

I think this is the stock that Hillary has been saying she would destroy because the CEO raised the price of one of the drugs astronomically...   Apparently the Clinton machine and mismanagement has done the job

52 - Week Range   25.985 - 263.81
3/21/16 - 8/6/15

Apparently a mutual fund was heavily invested - and taking a toll there (Sequoia)

At some point this stock could be a buy just on the potential...   If you like gambling
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »

I noticed one of my pharmaceutical mutual funds took a big hit the last month or so.

You are saying blame Obama, or is it blame the Clinton's?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »

I noticed one of my pharmaceutical mutual funds took a big hit the last month or so.

You are saying blame Obama, or is it blame the Clinton's?

Clinton gets this one...  She's actually called this company out in her campaign ads... 

Now all those associated with the company or the mutual fund that was heavily invested in the company are all seeking new jobs - as something fishy was going on and apparently the buddy system let slide a huge fall in price.

I think if my 250 stock slid below 200 I'd start taking my losses...   but all the way down to 30 - heads would roll/  and they are.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up