MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Stock Investments

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock Investments  (Read 7230 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Stock Investments
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

I'm more interested in stocks that are devalued and have the potential to rise again...  (that gambling)

Ford a few years back

Marathon Oil  recently

But I also love the steady eddy blue chips that pay a dividend and grow over time

I'm thinking of gifting some stock to my grandchildren - so it can grow over the next 20 years for them to enjoy even more
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »

My brother in law inherited $400,000 worth of Ford stock 10 years ago or so.  Maybe a little longer.  A broker he hooked up promised him he would double/triple his investment if he sold the Ford and diversified.  Then came the crash and he ended up with about $200,000.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »

You only lose with stocks if you sell lower than you paid,    the company goes under (gm),  or you don't sell when they are more than you paid... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »

Was curious if any of the other automakers will use Aluminum in their body/frame -  -   and how the added demand affected the price of Aluminum if any.   Alcoa Aluminum is the only company I've looked at so far
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »

Was curious if any of the other automakers will use Aluminum in their body/frame -  -   and how the added demand affected the price of Aluminum if any.   Alcoa Aluminum is the only company I've looked at so far

I'd be careful with that.  Industry scuttle butt is the Chinese are going to dump millions of tons of aluminum on the United States this year, just like they did with steel last year.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:31 PM »

My opinion is that aluminum is only viable for a frame if, all the mating (to that frame) materials are also aluminum or non corrosive inducing plastics and thats not gonna happen.  I see the effects of steel on aluminum with road salr as a catalyist all the time in aluminum trailers.  It's no good without a strict regimen of concentrated maintenance and that ain't gonna happen with a car or pickup truck.

Most idiots are lucky to check the air in the tires or refill the washer bottle.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

It has been out on the market in cars for years Flip.....

Crash demands are up, and fuel economy requirements are up.....

I would say the demand for lightweight alternatives will continue to be there.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »

It has been out on the market in cars for years Flip.....

Crash demands are up, and fuel economy requirements are up.....

I would say the demand for lightweight alternatives will continue to be there.

No doubt.  I see the collaterial damage that comes from neglect, something American owners are real good at.  Not all, but a good portion are.

The body business is a good business now.  It's all high tech adhesives and bonding and no bondo anymore.  You pull a panel with a heat gun and put on a new one with 2 or 3 part epoxy, clamp it up, let it cure and coat it with water based paint.  The only thing that keeps the paint on is the clearcoat.  New low VOC coatings are piss poor but it's green.

We make a fortune in the body business on heavy trucks because the repair methods are the same (as new aluminum / steel cat bodies)and trucks have worn aluminum bodies, long before car makers ever considered then mainstream.

Always keep in mind that electrolysis is quietly working away on the underbody, aided by road salt and dirt and lazy owners and everywhere steel is in close proximity to aluminum, electrolysis is there too.  It's the bodyman's friend and your wallet lightener.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 10:56:53 PM »

I was very suprised when I got under my new Focus and saw the forged aluminum suspension components.  Didn't know that stuff made it into the 'economy' class.  No electrolysis there.  They are rubber bushed.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »

No doubt.  I see the collaterial damage that comes from neglect, something American owners are real good at.  Not all, but a good portion are.

The body business is a good business now.  It's all high tech adhesives and bonding and no bondo anymore.  You pull a panel with a heat gun and put on a new one with 2 or 3 part epoxy, clamp it up, let it cure and coat it with water based paint.  The only thing that keeps the paint on is the clearcoat.  New low VOC coatings are piss poor but it's green.

We make a fortune in the body business on heavy trucks because the repair methods are the same (as new aluminum / steel cat bodies)and trucks have worn aluminum bodies, long before car makers ever considered then mainstream.

Always keep in mind that electrolysis is quietly working away on the underbody, aided by road salt and dirt and lazy owners and everywhere steel is in close proximity to aluminum, electrolysis is there too.  It's the bodyman's friend and your wallet lightener.

A lot of that is the same same basic technology we were using in the marine industry in the 70s and 80s although there have obviously been some changes over the years.

Most of those epoxies originated or still come out of Dow Chemical in Midland.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 10:38:39 AM »

I just had to expedite delivery of two large billets of aluminum for a press bonding tool.......last time was a little less than a year ago and the price was about the same back then.

The tooling industry uses a lot of Aluminum......very good heat disposition allowing consistent tool temperatures, and quicker disposition than steel.  Gotta watch the application, particularly if high tonnage compression is required but for vacuum forming and foaming tools it is the beaver's ***.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »

I just had to expedite delivery of two large billets of aluminum for a press bonding tool.......last time was a little less than a year ago and the price was about the same back then.

The tooling industry uses a lot of Aluminum......very good heat disposition allowing consistent tool temperatures, and quicker disposition than steel.  Gotta watch the application, particularly if high tonnage compression is required but for vacuum forming and foaming tools it is the beaver's ***.

Plastic and structural fiber tooling for sure.  Certainly not steel and alloy.  By the way, what is a billet?

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »

It is what comes out of the foundry with the cube surfaces cleaned up from the casting process.

For instance.....if I wanted to make a mold of "X" dimensions, I would go to say a Henkle and ask for a billet of XxYxZ.  I believe they generally cut them down off of much larger castings.

Aluminum is a wonderful tooling for thermoforming applications that don't require a lot of clamp tonnage......aluminum coins too easily at the parting lines. 

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 06:11:44 AM »

Makes great soda and beer cans too

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:22 AM »

Anyone track and/or invest in health care related companies?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up