MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > More water woes near former Wurtsmith AFB at Oscoda

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: More water woes near former Wurtsmith AFB at Oscoda  (Read 1744 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: More water woes near former Wurtsmith AFB at Oscoda
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »

Bottom line with me is...  We live and die in an industrialized nation and because back when, there was little or no controls over hazardous chemicals, we now get to live (or die) with the aftermath.

Why I'm opposed to injection wells in Summerfield Township and Monroe County in general.  You pump toxic crap downhole and it's gone.  Question is, for how long and if it will ever pollute the water supply.  Just too risky.

The main reason we are forced to live with these hazardous chemicals in our waters is due to greed...

more profitable to just bury it or flush it down the drain or not bother recovering it.  In most cases there is a way to safely dispose of any of these chemicals  (burning at a high temperature is frequently used) but it's expensive to recover the product and then to transport it to  facility that can actually handle it safely. 

Fortunately in the case of the contaminants at the former or still operating military bases we have the ultra deep pockets of the US Government to turn to. 

One of these days it may be 'bottled water' for everyone in Michigan too.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »

Lake Margarethe is where I am at. The problem was discovered a couple of years ago. Some contamination has been found in local wells and of course the foam. 70 parts per trillion is the threshold set for it to be an official problem. One 1 well so far has exceeded that but any well where it is detected at all gets the free water filter installed. I'm not checking my wells. All of the neighbors did and are clean so I'm not wasting my time with it.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »

The main reason we are forced to live with these hazardous chemicals in our waters is due to greed...

more profitable to just bury it or flush it down the drain or not bother recovering it.  In most cases there is a way to safely dispose of any of these chemicals  (burning at a high temperature is frequently used) but it's expensive to recover the product and then to transport it to  facility that can actually handle it safely. 

Fortunately in the case of the contaminants at the former or still operating military bases we have the ultra deep pockets of the US Government to turn to. 

One of these days it may be 'bottled water' for everyone in Michigan too.

That might be not too far fetched, especially if Lansing sides with the lobbyists and ignores the obvious, something they are really good at.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »

Lake Margarethe is where I am at. The problem was discovered a couple of years ago. Some contamination has been found in local wells and of course the foam. 70 parts per trillion is the threshold set for it to be an official problem. One 1 well so far has exceeded that but any well where it is detected at all gets the free water filter installed. I'm not checking my wells. All of the neighbors did and are clean so I'm not wasting my time with it.

If all your wells are tapped into the same aquifer they you should all be getting similar results.  If you have a well that is much deeper or much shallower then it's probably in a different aquifer and you might want to get that one tested.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »

Apparently Wurtsmith is the tip of the iceberg.  The map shows a blue dot for Monroe County and it is a fish eating advisory for Lake Erie. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/page/michigans_water_crisis_pfas.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »

I think Schuette is too busy running for governor to be bothered with suing anyone!

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/snyder-wants-ag-to-sue-3m-to-recoup-costs-of-contamination
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up