MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What kind of a tipper are you?

Poll

Do you have an average percentage for good service?

A straight 10% across the board...   good, bad or ugly!!!
- 0 (0%)
15% but only because I have a calculator in my phone...  otherwise too hard to calculate!
- 0 (0%)
Most of the time 20% as long as everything goes pretty well.
- 8 (80%)
I always carry a nice shiny penny and that's all I'll leave no matter what!
- 0 (0%)
Some other amount...  please describe your criteria in the thread!
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of a tipper are you?  (Read 883 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
What kind of a tipper are you?
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »

We'll focus on restaurants since that is a 'normal' tipping situation for most of us. 

What about your hairdresser or barber?

What other businesses or service do you usually tip for?

Do you tip the owner of a business (or a member of their family).  I've heard both sides of this one...   the owner or their kin are all just 'people' and it's the people you're tipping so they should get at least something.  And the other side is the business is of course just rolling in profit$ so the family already made a huge gain from your visit.

As a business owner most of my life I've received tips over a wide, wide range of circumstances.  I always 'respectfully' decline and explain that I always provide a high level of service.  Some people still insist and others thank me again and move on. 

The best 'tip' I ever got was dinner at Mancy's!!!

Don't ever recall only getting a penny though!

Please expound on your personal experiences or any good stories...

good, bad or even ugly ;) ;) ;)

One more question...

lately I'm seeing lots of restaurants are doing the hard math and putting 'suggested' tip amounts at the bottom of your check.  Do you appreciate that or do you find it offensive?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

CatLady

• Hero Talker
Re: What kind of a tipper are you?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »

My hairdresser gets a 50% tip because her charge for a haircut and perm that takes at least 2 hours is, IMO, too low.  I tip the newspaper carriers $50 at Christmas and again July 4th.  The blacksmiths get a Christmas tip of 50% of their regular charge for trimming. Normal tip for restaurants is 20%  - I don't distinguish between owner/family member or employee since I'm tipping for the service.  If the service was poor (which, actually, rarely happens), the tip can be 5% to 15%.  Exceptional service, I tip 25%.  I do not tip based on the quality of the food since the server didn't prepare the food.  As to the suggested tip on the bottom of the check, I don't find it offensive or helpful particularly.   

My waiting table days were so long ago, I don't remember if I got good tips or not.  I just remember it was hard work!

If the tip is included in the check and I feel the service did not merit the tip, I pay it but speak to the manager.  If the service was exceptional, I also speak to the manager (and increase the tip).
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »

Almost always 20% to a waiter/waitress provided that the service was normal, I have dropped it to 10% if disappointed.

Haircut is usually 40% or so.

Topless table dance generally gets a flat 20 bucks.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »

The gal that cuts my hair for $12 gets $5.
Almost always 20% at restaurant.  If bill was only $5 or so i leave a dollar or two.
Usually when i take the family the tip generally included at 18% and i put all on debit card.
If the waiter did a really good job and they usually do i'll leave and extra $5 or so on the table for them because they more than likely share the 18% with the servers.
Haven't been to any topless joints lately..

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »

Almost always 20% to a waiter/waitress provided that the service was normal, I have dropped it to 10% if disappointed.

Haircut is usually 40% or so.

Topless table dance generally gets a flat 20 bucks.

The big question is what would Kim get?
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »

Usually 25% +.
Some of my bartenders get 50% or more...
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »

The big question is what would Kim get?
A tip!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:02:26 AM »

Wait staff usually 20% and the ones that tack on that 18% for a party of X  - generally loses on that one...

I tip the Sushi chef - separate from the wait staff

I tip bartenders

I do tip the paper delivery twice a year

I'm fortunate enough to still have the needs for a hair cut - and do there as well -

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »

My hairdresser gets a 50% tip because her charge for a haircut and perm that takes at least 2 hours is, IMO, too low.  I tip the newspaper carriers $50 at Christmas and again July 4th.  The blacksmiths get a Christmas tip of 50% of their regular charge for trimming. Normal tip for restaurants is 20%  - I don't distinguish between owner/family member or employee since I'm tipping for the service.  If the service was poor (which, actually, rarely happens), the tip can be 5% to 15%.  Exceptional service, I tip 25%.  I do not tip based on the quality of the food since the server didn't prepare the food.  As to the suggested tip on the bottom of the check, I don't find it offensive or helpful particularly.   

My waiting table days were so long ago, I don't remember if I got good tips or not.  I just remember it was hard work!

If the tip is included in the check and I feel the service did not merit the tip, I pay it but speak to the manager.  If the service was exceptional, I also speak to the manager (and increase the tip).

CL usually leaves the tip when we go out (infrequently) but if the service is over the top and the waitstaff can put up with my arcane humor...  they get more.  It's' hazardous duty' waiting on me....  ask CL. ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up