MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Question regarding new ownership of property

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding new ownership of property  (Read 601 times)

halo_girl

• Active Talker
Question regarding new ownership of property
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »

I am seeing rumors floating around concerning new ownership of where we live and am wondering if there is a way to find out if true?  I'm certain current ownership is not going to say anything until we get hit with huge surprises or something so just trying to find out ahead of time.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Question regarding new ownership of property
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:42 AM »

I am seeing rumors floating around concerning new ownership of where we live and am wondering if there is a way to find out if true?  I'm certain current ownership is not going to say anything until we get hit with huge surprises or something so just trying to find out ahead of time.

In Michigan all property ownership records are 'public' records.  There are basically two ways to approach the info.

If you know the current (assuming sale has not closed yet) owner then you can watch the register of deeds records for a record of sale...  usually within a few days after the actually closing.  You can do that 'online' and for free!  If you know the name of the prior owner you can also go back as far as the 80s and find records of sales and you can actually follow the 'chain of title' along to see when sales occurred. 

If you don't know the owner's name then you have to dig a little harder.  Usually by going to the local municipality office and looking at a 'plat map' (it isn't truly a plat map but that seems to be what most call it).  Pick out the property and it will have an ID number (look on your own tax bill and if the property is near you that number system does follow a sequence...  sort of :-\ :-\ :-\

You're entitled to look and see if the taxes and assessments have been paid and some other basic info without even having to go through a freedom of information request.  With a FOI you can find out even more.

Now, that will be the easy part.  If this is to be some kind of commercial or similar development you'll probably find the name is something like the 'ABC LLC of Monroe'.  With a little work you may or may not be able to get a hint of the 'people' behind the LLC.  Look for where the tax bill is being mailed to...  sometimes that's a good hint. 

You can check the LLC filing at the state website and it will give you the name of the registered agent.  That may be an attorney or it may be one (or the entire) of the 'members' of the LLC. 

If it's a corporation it gets a little more complicated but in many cases you can still get some basic ideas of ownership.

Of course then with that info you may or may not be able to determine their potential 'future' use of the property or properties in question.

If you know a current or past owner go here...  but spelling is critical.

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/egov/landrecords/regdeeds.aspx

Click on the 'Public Service Option, All Others' for the free link.  The other links are self explanatory and you can buy as much info as your pockets are deep!!!

Start with your own info or someone you know and you'll kind of catch on with how to work with it.

I usually just put in the name and let the computer do the work.  If it's a common name (Smith for example) you have to have a first name too.  And sometimes the guy down the street you know as 'Bud' has a much more complicated name that he owns property under.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »

Bedford Township provides access to the property records that some people are challenging that right.
https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/AssessingServices/ServiceAssessingSearch.aspx?i=1&appid=0&unit=328
If you are looking to find out before the transaction occurs this won't help but as mentioned if you don't know the owner of the property this would tell you.
search by either name or address.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »

Bedford Township provides access to the property records that some people are challenging that right.
https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/AssessingServices/ServiceAssessingSearch.aspx?i=1&appid=0&unit=328
If you are looking to find out before the transaction occurs this won't help but as mentioned if you don't know the owner of the property this would tell you.
search by either name or address.

People have been challenging the public's access to this since Al Gore invented the internet. 

From what I've heard in Bedford it's not so much the ownership as it is the details of the property (usually an owner's home).  However, not matter what they may argue anyone can walk into the township assessor's office and get all the same info.  Their argument is 'it's too easy to snoop by my neighbors or enemies. 

Btw...   this is frequently from people who are using the internet to make their own lives simpler and faster...

kind of the "I've got mine but I don't want you to get your's" attitude.

It's not just Bedford either...   happens all across Michigan and the entire country I would guess.

It's all just 'data' and data is the one thing the internet is making it easier to work with.

Now, if I could just print out a few sheets of treated plywood for a project I'm working on :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:28:00 PM by BigRedDog »
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

Just tell us where you are talking about and we can figure it out for you.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up