MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > MEN vs BLADE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MEN vs BLADE  (Read 1450 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
MEN vs BLADE
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »

Well, my subscription to the MEN is up for renewal and for the first time in my adult life, it looks like I may not be receiving a hardcopy newspaper. The rate for 7 day delivery is $222. and I have to say the paper just doesn't have enough content to justify the cost. Not only is the paper becoming increasingly thin, but many of the stories are several days old.

The irony is, the Toledo Blade is four times the size and I can subscribe to it for $182. a year.

If my hardcopy withdrawals are too severe, I may subscribe to U.S.A. Today for $275.

The newspaper business is understandably a tough biz to be in now.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: MEN vs BLADE
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »

Well, my subscription to the MEN is up for renewal and for the first time in my adult life, it looks like I may not be receiving a hardcopy newspaper. The rate for 7 day delivery is $222. and I have to say the paper just doesn't have enough content to justify the cost. Not only is the paper becoming increasingly thin, but many of the stories are several days old.

The irony is, the Toledo Blade is four times the size and I can subscribe to it for $182. a year.

If my hardcopy withdrawals are too severe, I may subscribe to U.S.A. Today for $275.

I just dropped my paper subscription and went to online only. I still want to read it daily but found more and more that the paper was going directly into the basket since I already saw what I needed online.
I can live without all the coupons too.
The Blade is doo left wing for me and their success at delivering daily to me sucks every time I try it so I won't be subscribing ever again.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

We get them all, Blade, Telegram, Monroe News and the Dundee Independent.  I agree with everyone's comments that the MN stores are stale most of the time and the Blade (editorials) are for the most part pretty left of center.

The Telegram is pretty up to date with stories and Lenawee County has some interesting crime and punishment articles.  The old saying...'Lenawee County, come on vacation, leave on probation'....  still applies.

The MN. ad rates are higher than everyone else's as well.  No issue getting the Blade delivered here.  I just don't bother reading the editorials, no point in getting pizzed, besides most are syndicated anyway.  The Blade did do a couple in house editorial comments about Kaisch a week or two ago, that I found interesting, in as much as they seem to worship Kaisch, they slammed his flagrant use of OHP officers for personal protection on the campaign trail and what it cost Ohio taxpayers.

If we were to drop any paper, it would be the MN.  Makes a good litter pan liner and package stuffer (wadded up), but that is about it.  It's mostly rerun stuff that other tabloids have already reported.

Makes me wonder what the staff does for 8 hours a day.  They don't seem to be motivated in getting out and covering pertinent stories.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »

Yes it is and I sure wouldn't be making any major investments in any of them right now.  The one paper I really enjoy is the Dundee Independent and they have quit delivering to the Ida Party Stop where I have bought it for years.  I may try having them mail it for a few months and see how that works out.

Other than that it's just what I can scrounge online for local news for now. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »

The Independent is just that.  Tonya is very independent and writes as such.  We have home delivery, you should be able to get it too.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »

We get ours via USPS so everyone at the post office in P'burg reads ours as well...... ;D ;D

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »

I enjoy the online as well...  what gets me is there is no discount from the printed - so I have them deliver and use the coupons from time to time.

I never could understand business models that didn't offer discounts for something that is inevitable and would probably get more out of towners who have ties to Monroe.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »

The Independent is just that.  Tonya is very independent and writes as such.  We have home delivery, you should be able to get it too.

As far as I know they'll mail it anywhere in the country.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

Not a peep about Kaisch in the Blade tonight.  I think they are realizing that Kaisch isn't as good a sliced bread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up