MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Insurance/Hospital Billing "tricks" to get you to pay more

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance/Hospital Billing "tricks" to get you to pay more  (Read 1205 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker

Interesting read and some tips to reduce your costs!

I would start questioning "Doctors" as soon as they start talking about this status of admittance

They don't tell you until you're discharged and learn that you pay big for the designation that doesn't change your treatment - just how you are billed-  like for your regular medications you take at home!   

======================================
Hospital billing trick saddles the ill with unexpected costs
‘Outpatient observation’ status leads to big expense

http://www.toledoblade.com/Medical/2016/05/08/Hospital-billing-trick-saddles-the-ill-with-unexpected-costs.html
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Insurance/Hospital Billing "tricks" to get you to pay more
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »

For the hospitals and doctors to treat you as outpatient under observation they must be getting kickbacks. Otherwise they make more money by billing insurance I'd think

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »

Just saw on NBC 24 Toledo that they are doing segments on this all week long on the evening news.

Article from The Blade yesterday!

http://www.toledoblade.com/Medical/2016/05/08/Hospital-billing-trick-saddles-the-ill-with-unexpected-costs.html
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »

Sounds like the biggest hit is the drugs you take daily...   
so if you go to the hospital - take your own meds just in case they won't admit you... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »

I do on the few occasions where I went to the hospital, but they always confiscated my One-Hitter and told me no smoking in the hospital.

Another stupid rule IMO.   ;)
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »

Sounds like the biggest hit is the drugs you take daily...   
so if you go to the hospital - take your own meds just in case they won't admit you...

Take your meds along regardless if you expect to be admitted or not...

if they get the meds from their pharmacy you pay the single dose rate which the article points out can be extraordinary!

I was aware of this the last time I went for a stent at St. V's cardiac center...

dumped all my pills in a ziplock bag and put them in my overnight bag...

no dice...   they had to be in the original pill bottle with my name and prescription date and med expiration and dosage instructions on the bottle or they couldn't administer (or let me self medicate)...

However, since I took them in a summar list of my meds which I had typed myself they could (and did) give me all those meds.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »

I'm not sure they allow you to take your own meds in the hospital.  I only take one.  But knowing what i know about how they are, If i had to go to hospital I'd tell them i don't take anything. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:05:03 PM by blue2 »

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »

I'm not sure they allow you to take your own meds in the hospital.  I only take one.  But knowing what i know about how they are, If i had to go to hospital I'd tell them i don't take anything. 
Then your insurance would deny because of a double prescribed drug...

The bottom line is to be more pro-active and let your doctor know you aren't willing to play the insurance game - admit or send me home.   (you're either sick enough or your not)
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »

Gee, I'm 67 and I don't take anything, not even asprin.

Life is my medication.... ;D

I do have to have my CPAP machine and last time I was in the hospital, I had my wife bring my spare machine.  Don't think the 'pharmacy' has those....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »

My wife packs her machine before even heading to the hospital.......interesting question though as to if the pharmacy or hospital would keep them in stock.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

My wife packs her machine before even heading to the hospital.......interesting question though as to if the pharmacy or hospital would keep them in stock.

I bet it would cost a bundle.  I actually have 4 CPAP's.  3 bedroom size and a travel one that runs on 12 volts.

Sometimes you can't pack one, things happen too suddenly, like say a car accident.  I bet the hospital pharmacy has them on  hand.....  for a price.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »

I am enjoying writing to a health care provider trying to get them to correct billing errors they made to my insurance company.

My insurance company told me exactly what coding errors they made to get the claim rejected.

The Health Care Provider tells me it is AOK, and they are happy to set up a payment plan if I would like that.

The Health Care Provider is going to find out they are going to have to resubmit correctly if they want to get paid.  I have already put that in writing.  They have a reading comprehension problem.

I have a very high deductible.  It doesn't need to be even higher because of the errors of others.

I'm sure all of this will be easier when the Government is in charge?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:37 PM »

I wonder if the billing clerks get more than minimum wage - and really care if they do their job the right way...  ?
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up