MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Looking for a good old fashioned recipe for dumplings.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a good old fashioned recipe for dumplings.  (Read 1365 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Looking for a good old fashioned recipe for dumplings.
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »

We've been overrun with blackcaps this year so my wife made them with dumplings yesterday.  She just used one of what I call the online 'quickie' recipes...

They turned out pretty good but the dumplings were not anything like my Grandma used to make. 

I don't know if there is any difference between dumplings on desserts (I know they do them for blueberries for sure) and the ones that go on mainline dishes.

I think they all 'cook' by being on top of the boiling juices underneath.

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Looking for a good old fashioned recipe for dumplings.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »

My Grandma use to make a lot of stuff that nobody will be able to duplicate.  The know how, skill and ingredients aren't avail anymore.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »

My Grandma use to make a lot of stuff that nobody will be able to duplicate.  The know how, skill and ingredients aren't avail anymore.

My wife has a lot of my Mom's old recipes but not so many of either of our Grandmothers.  It was actually my aunt I guess that made the great blackcap dumplings. 

I agree with you that a lot of the good old stuff got lost along the way.

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »

We have recipe's that are on index cards - with faded pencil - I probably should digitize and redo them before some of those are lost -   Nothing for dumplings,  mainly christmas cookie variations and pies as I sort through them.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up