MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > 8 ways to keep your mind sharp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 ways to keep your mind sharp  (Read 526 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
8 ways to keep your mind sharp
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »

These sound like some useful tips...

I think some of our posters have been letting their minds 'slip' a bit lately :o :o :o

Everyone has the occasional “senior moment.” Maybe you wander to the kitchen and can’t remember why, or you misplace your keys. But while these mental hiccups may be bothersome, they usually don’t drive you to visit the doctor.

Most people focus on physical problems – high blood pressure, pain, disability – but if your mental health isn’t functioning optimally, your physical health will suffer as well.

The good news: Studies show you can bolster your brain’s reserves and reduce your risk of losing your mind by adopting some basic health habits. Already in your golden years? Don’t fret. Research also shows the brain continues forming new connections throughout our lifespans. And you can help it along with these eight brain-boosting strategies:

Article at:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sponsor-story/henry-ford-health-system/2016/07/12/brain-games-brain-functions-mind-power/86610212/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: 8 ways to keep your mind sharp
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »

These sound like some useful tips...

I think some of our posters have been letting their minds 'slip' a bit lately :o :o :o

1. Learn a foreign language.

I chose Irish... ;D
http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/irish-whiskey-home-page/irish-whiskeys-from-a-to-z

2. Try a new activity.

I've tried gardening/landscaping - because I doubt "new" golf courses count 

3. Eat brain-boosting foods.

Wine - check
fruits - check
trailmix - check

4. Exercise.

I always joked that I thought about doing this once ...

I enjoy walking - we have a nice area for it.

5. Get some sleep.

Weak here - as I rarely get 8 hours of sleep

6. Stay on top of your health conditions.

Knocking on wood -   fortunate to not have to take meds except for arthritis in my shoulder from an old injury. 

7. Meditate.

My trick to go to sleep if I'm wound up

8. Connect.

Both in real life and on here -
I have a network of friends from around the country from my schooling as well as work. 
FB but no twitter

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »

Within the last year my Mother was diagnosed with short term dementia and taking medicine for it that doesn't cure it, but slows the progression.  Still the same happy, easy-going Mom I've always known but easily confused.  One key is the meds.....and if you know anyone on them make certain it is taken at near the exact same time of day.  I've noticed that does lessen the confusion aspect a little.

Long term she still has it down, and I try to converse more with her along those lines with little brain teasers to make her think hard.

The Circle of Life.......tough thing to watch.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »

Seems like Disconnect would be on the list not Connect.

Social media causes more stress than marriage !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »

Within the last year my Mother was diagnosed with short term dementia and taking medicine for it that doesn't cure it, but slows the progression.  Still the same happy, easy-going Mom I've always known but easily confused.  One key is the meds.....and if you know anyone on them make certain it is taken at near the exact same time of day.  I've noticed that does lessen the confusion aspect a little.

Long term she still has it down, and I try to converse more with her along those lines with little brain teasers to make her think hard.

The Circle of Life.......tough thing to watch.
I recall my Mother-in-law who had the same - would like to tell stories from her childhood and could recall that pretty well...

Wish I'd have recorded some of it -   might be an idea to pass on a recording to your kids
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:48 PM »

heck, i know your age, lol, start taping you own stories! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up