MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Community responsibility?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Community responsibility?  (Read 8494 times)

supermom

• Hero Talker
Community responsibility?
« on: July 28, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »

I have always heard that there is nothing to do in Monroe. But who's responsibility is that? Should the city and county provide resources such as swimming pools, recreation areas, etc? Or should parents provide the activities for their children? I am wondering about the biggest issue of funding. Any thoughts?

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Community responsibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:27:03 PM »

Pretty easy answer actually, increase the revenue (taxes) and anything is possible.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »

Its a shame that there is no "community" pools left -    even wading pools would be great for the City as I grew up with them.    Probably an issue that Parks and Recreation would have to address - we also had Tot-lot programs with things for kids to do that was free or cheap...     I guess now it's just softball fields and $$ making
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »

They waste to much money for crap and hire to many friends and relatives for there to be any money left

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »

Its odd how no one seems to champion parks and recreation - in the City/county/townships.   

I think the Ice arena and Cantrick pool  fiasco's killed it in the City of Monroe -

Can't answer for Bedford area - Frenchtown relies on the School system
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »

Bedford has a pretty active Parks board.  Some pretty good play parks for the little ones and lots of ball and soccer fields. 
The fiasco at Lewis and 151 is another story.  Bought lots of land for a cemetery but most of it allocated to park that the seller continues to farm...Quite a deal..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

To me, 'Community Responsibility' and 'Entitlement' are real close.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »

I have always heard that there is nothing to do in Monroe. But who's responsibility is that? Should the city and county provide resources such as swimming pools, recreation areas, etc? Or should parents provide the activities for their children? I am wondering about the biggest issue of funding. Any thoughts?

I suspect Monroe could be overflowing with all sorts of things to do and there would still be some kids that would scream there is "nothing to do"!!! 

I'm not quite sure exactly what they're wanting to be able to do but I'm sure if they really wanted to find something they could. 

How did we manage to grow up when we didn't have near as  many distractions?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »

County drains and chores
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »

Heck there are plenty of parks unused. You never see kids outside playing baseball or football anymore. 30 years ago when my kids were young, every day when I came home from work the baseball field was full of kids playing baseball or football. There were ruts in the grass for baselines. Now they have all grown back and they are never used. The kids are all inside on computers, video games or cell phones.

What they need are more games like that Pokeman game for cell phones. Just drive through Loranger square or downtown about 7 PM, it's full of young people chasing Pokeman. Who needs a park?
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »

County drains and chores

I can hear the screams of 'child abuse' already ;D ;D ;D
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »

Edison planted trees so kids couldn't play on the right a ways anymore - but we spent many a day playing various seasonal sports from kickball to football...     

My uncles tell me of floating down the Mason Run - but that was more open then. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »

Heck there are plenty of parks unused. You never see kids outside playing baseball or football anymore. 30 years ago when my kids were young, every day when I came home from work the baseball field was full of kids playing baseball or football. There were ruts in the grass for baselines. Now they have all grown back and they are never used. The kids are all inside on computers, video games or cell phones.

What they need are more games like that Pokeman game for cell phones. Just drive through Loranger square or downtown about 7 PM, it's full of young people chasing Pokeman. Who needs a park?

That pokeman crap seems like a total waste of effort to me.  I guess you could be intently staring at your cell phone and walk out in traffic too...  Least cell phone providers make money on air time  you still have to pay to play (unless you have an Obama-phone, then we pay, you play.. :(

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »

Most kids today exhibit no motivation, cannot self entertain themselves and when they do, it is usually criminal in nature.  Sad.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »

Most kids today exhibit no motivation, cannot self entertain themselves and when they do, it is usually criminal in nature.  Sad.

I would disagree with "most" although I will agree that 'some' fit that description...

unfortunately those few do get the majority of the press so I believe it severely distorts the perception. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up