MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Another reason for Michigan to go to a part time legislature!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Another reason for Michigan to go to a part time legislature!  (Read 2602 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Another reason for Michigan to go to a part time legislature!
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »

If it looks like a duck and walks and talks like a duck...

'Follow the money'...

and when they make it harder to follow the money then you should realize they're hiding '$omething'!!!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/how_secretive_funds_allow_mich.html#incart_big-photo

Secretive funds allow Michigan lawmakers to accept corporate cash

A joint investigation by MLive and the Michigan Campaign Finance Network found at least 50 of Michigan's 144 House and Senate members, about one in three, are connected or have been connected to a nonprofit or administrative account. From 2013 to 2015, about $12.8 million flowed to more than 100 accounts connected to political parties, elected officeholders and their consultants in Michigan, the investigation found.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Another reason for Michigan to go to a part time legislature!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

This is interesting...

and somewhat appropriate for this forum...

the very first slide features someone many of us still remember even though he's (at least for now) no longer an elected official.

Rather appropriate too...

I've heard more than one person say he's been taking 'us' to the cleaners for years ;) ;) ;)

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/15_ways_lawmakers_use_their_no.html#1
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »

"Follow the Money"...

Politicians in Michigan don't seem to want the taxpayers to be able to follow the money trail in some cases!  BTW, this is not a partisan issue...   plenty of Ds and Rs are represented :o :o :o

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/11/michigans_hush_money_funds_are.html#incart_river_home

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 10:18:53 AM »

I thought this may be an appropriate thread to post this clip in.  Tax dollars in action!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20161224/zorn-sheppard-boast-perfect-voting-records
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »

Bragging about doing what I see as the MINIMUM and showing up to just vote?

Give me a break......
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »

Right!  It doesn't take a genius to vote.  anybody can do that.  Lets do something the citizens want done.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »

Actually fixing no fault insurance for instance?

Writing an energy bill that doesn't make the power companies and environmentalists both happy?  How about that?

I think the FULL TIME aspect gives these clowns too much time to get bought off, and not enough time in the trenches working back home, talking to those they represent.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »

If you feed a monkey enough peanuts you can teach a monkey how to vote as demonstrated by Pavlov, (Pavlov's theory of conditioning) who changed a dog's behavior by physical conditioning.   

It seems there is no Tax that our lawmakers can resist voting for. 

Lawmakers have a made a good living going to Lansing staying long enough to establish networks and connections then work as or for lobbyist. It's just business as usual and all this horse sh** about about being proud to serve is just that, representing his city or that and voting 100 percent of the time is horseh**. 

It's not just holding the title or words that matter, look at their deeds.

Deeds matter, not words.

Part-time legislatures is probably a direction well worth exploring since full time legislatures have proven themselves beholden to the highest bidder first, not to the people.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:13:51 AM by whispers »

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »

I'm all for a part time legislature, but exactly how is that alone going to make them less beholden to corporations?
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »

Good question......one I can think of is that they would not be around Lansing lobbyist as much, and have to spend more time in their respective districts with the people who elected them.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 11:14:42 PM »

Good question......one I can think of is that they would not be around Lansing lobbyist as much, and have to spend more time in their respective districts with the people who elected them.
I'm sure those lobbyists have our representatives cell numbers on speed dial.
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 11:17:45 PM »

True......I guess I don't have a good answer to your question then. 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »

I think you have the right answer there.

If they are living and working in the communities they represent - cause the legislature doesn't pay the bills - they will be far more responsive to their needs than what they can get from a lobbyist that has access to their ear much of the time.

I trust that Joe is still going to be working his market if I have a concern.  I don't see him letting his business go.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »

Joe sold his business
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up