MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > MCCC millage

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCCC millage  (Read 545 times)

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
MCCC millage
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »

I have to vent about the MCCC millage.  I have been looking everywhere about what the college plans to do with the money raised if the millage passes, which I will vote for.  My concern is I have read so many letters saying how the college needs this money to remain viable.
  Most of the buildings were built in what, the 80s or 90s, a couple in the 70s. THEY NEED REPAIR is all I keep reading. What is the plan to repair them?  Everyone seems to be all for this I known.
  But everyone seems to be against a new Monroe fire station which was built before almost every building at the college.  And I can personally guarantee it is in far worse shape than ANY building at the college.
  People are saying a new station is not needed, But will blindly vote for a building used periodically, compared to a building used 24 hrs a day, and is a health hazard to anyone who enters it.  I am just curious as to why the difference of acceptance.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: MCCC millage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »

Wow.

What an unbiased rant from a lifetime Govt employee.

The issue here MR. Firefighter is that Govt Entities choose to spend the tax dollars on hiring wonderful government servants like you, and then giving you awesome pension plans and health care for life - rather than doing basic maintenance on buildings.

The same thing is true at the college that is true in the City of Monroe, and true at Bedford Schools, and everywhere else.

Then a few years later they come to the citizens crying they need more tax dollars to "replace" that "obsolete" building they didn't take care of.

What they need to do is figure out  how to deliver the SERVICES to the community for LESS money - and use the resources they have to take care of the capital resources like BUILDINGS that they have.

Vote no on both of them.  Neither will close.

Maybe the City can build a new station when they pay off the pension obligations - that also weren't fully funded.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »

Everybody gets more money but the man working for the money..How's that work out down the road when the working man has no more money to give.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »

I think we are already there.

The City Raises have been better than mine the last couple of years - but they need more of my money.

No.

The Community College needs more money to do maintenance on buildings built in the 60s and 70s - including bringing them up to BS Federal requirements.....  that very few if any will ever use.....  and if they do they will be going on OUR money..... 

But where was the urgency when they had their building spree a couple of years ago?  They built a fitness center and a performing arts center - things the area already had.

Now they need MORE money to take care of buildings they already had.

Bad planning.

The cities fire station?

No maintenance for 20 years - yep its going to need some.

Obsolete?  Hardly.

I have needs for my money - they buying power of which continues to shrink. 

I can't give to to Government because they are STUPID and CAN'T PLAN.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »

Surprised no rioting here seeing as how fire station millage passed.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

Surprised no rioting here seeing as how fire station millage passed.

No, but some council members will be unemployed from Government next November - and then maybe some Firefighters.....

Elections have consequences.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up