MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > American History

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American History  (Read 2040 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
American History
« on: January 03, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »

This is pretty sad.  My whole family that includes 5 teenagers are going to Boston the first week of July.  Trying to map out a plan.
The kids have no idea about Bunker Hill, Lexington-Concord or other historical sites.
Is this all the work of the progressives destroying our history and culture so they can ram  all their liberal progressive crap at them?

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: American History
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »

That certainly is, and is brought to you by our friends at the Department of Education of both Federal and State levels in dictating a curriculum and learning objectives that does not include deep dives into American History.  Sad, very sad!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »

There's that word "to better globalize the world"
Open borders, one government blah blah blah

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Nothing is as 'American History' as our railroads.

This photo article is from my hometown newspaper but most of the photos are from Chicago back during WWII.  This photographer must have had money because a color camera with color film was pretty unique (and expensive) for the times.

I wonder how many of these locomotives or cars may have traveled across Monroe County at one time or another?

https://www.ourmidland.com/seattlenews/slideshow/Color-photos-highlight-railroad-work-in-early-126865.php
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »

i was watching a series i think on the History channel "The Men That Made America" some time ago and saw that they were showing some again.  There was a lot of video when they were building the railroads.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »

i was watching a series i think on the History channel "The Men That Made America" some time ago and saw that they were showing some again.  There was a lot of video when they were building the railroads.

The railroads certainly became the 'spine' of the country and it's expansion across the continent.

I found this photo from the above link especially interesting.  In the 40s no one seemed overly concerned with working with asbestos!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »

I remember many train rides from Pittsburgh to St. Louis as a child (late 50's and early 60's) and always enjoyed them.  I also recall how crowded they were.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »

My aunt lived in a Toledo sub and had a boyfriend in Chicago.  She would hop the train every few weeks to see him

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »

My aunt lived in a Toledo sub and had a boyfriend in Chicago.  She would hop the train every few weeks to see him

Our son and his wife took a long weekend trip to Chicago from Toledo a few years ago.  They took the Amtrack from Toledo.  I know a lot of them have names but I don't have any idea what this one is named.  Everything was great going over but on the way back something broke down and the train was just able to crawl for miles over in Indiana.  Someone finally was able to fix it and all of a sudden away it went.  They were late but at least didn't have to walk home!

I was fortunate to be able to take the train all over Europe during my time there in the early 70s.  Practically the entire world has nicer (and safer) trains than the US does now.  A real shame!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »

I was fortunate to be able to take the train all over Europe during my time there in the early 70s.  Practically the entire world has nicer (and safer) trains than the US does now.  A real shame!!!

I've done Europe and Japan on trains.

Great way to get around both places.

The US?  Not so much.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up