MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > World's leading NAVY . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World's leading NAVY . . .  (Read 693 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
World's leading NAVY . . .
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »

What the helll is going on with our NAVY?

Two different incidents involving ships colliding.
That's just embarrassing.
It's hard to imagine this happening once.... but two times!

That must make our enemies roll on the floor laughing.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: World's leading NAVY . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »

They probably have been spending more time studying the correct gender pronouns to use with their fine crew members who may be confused as to what they are instead of learning sailing skills.

I'm sure Trump will make the Navy great again.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »

Obama had messed it up so much they just thought training was something you did when you wanted to...   after all it was hard work and no one got a medal or trophy for training! 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

Not 2, Four incidents.  A big issue from what I understand is Navy Captains routinely turn off their navigation transponders when underway because it's possible for them to be tracked by 'others' when on.  The Fitz (as an example) had it's transponder turned off.  All commercial ships are required by Maritime Law to have them on and recording their positions...  not Navy ships, they turn them off.

Problem is, with it off, they cannot 'see' other ships except visually or on their radar and you have to be 'watching' that radar all the time 24/7.

Reminds me of Dodgem on the high seas.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

Not 2, Four incidents.  A big issue from what I understand is Navy Captains routinely turn off their navigation transponders when underway because it's possible for them to be tracked by 'others' when on.  The Fitz (as an example) had it's transponder turned off.  All commercial ships are required by Maritime Law to have them on and recording their positions...  not Navy ships, they turn them off.

Problem is, with it off, they cannot 'see' other ships except visually or on their radar and you have to be 'watching' that radar all the time 24/7.

Reminds me of Dodgem on the high seas.

Low speed dodgem at it's best... 

I'm sure the investigations will eventually show the speed of all ships involved but I haven't seen or heard that any of them were moving very fast. 

Transponders work great when you're sitting and looking at a radar screen (or a computer monitor) of ships hundreds or thousands of miles away...   remember when we watched the Coast Guard ice breakers working to free the ships stuck in the Great Lakes a couple of winters ago? 

These recent incidents are more like vehicle drivers trying to enter a roundabout for the first time!!!

I always get a chuckle when I zoom into an area and see a transponder 20-30-40 miles inland...   probably a trailer boat they use for chartering and then forgot to deactivate the power before they trailered the boat home.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »

The one that the Fitz was involved in, the commercial boat had it's transponder on and made some weird turns before impacting the Fitz.  The commercial vessel was making maximum speed when it impacted the destroyer.  From what I understood, it was an overtaking collision, that is, the Fitz was moving much slower than the commercial vessel was.

So the commercial vessel approached from behind and hit the Fitz at an angle, not a broadside hit.  Obviously, no one on night watch was looking over their shoulder or they would have seen the ship in as much as it was at least twice as large as the destroyer.  I realize it was at night but the visibility was clear on calm seas.

The Fitz never altered her course or speed.

I guess no one was looking but should have been.  probably why both the Exec on duty and the Skipper were relieved of duty.  The Skipper was asleep but poop rolls downhill and he was still responsible for the actions of his crew.

I keep thinking that Navy skippers need to take some courses in seamanship. 

Lets see, one grounding, 2 collisions and another questionable incident.  Not good for the Navy.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »

The bigger the ship the less the ability to slow down or change course.  They don't react like a car does.  You put on the brakes (reverse engines) and it takes a long time to slow down.

I witnessed that first hand in Cleveland when I worked at GW Industries.  An ore boat blew for the bridge, the bridge raised and before the boat cleared, the bridge tender lowered the bridge amidships.  I'm sure the skipper or someone saw that because they were laying on the horn but lift bridges, like boats don't move that fast.  I watched the bridge shear off the entire back upper deck and funnel of the ore carrier even though the ore boat had reversed it's engines.  No stopping on a dime.  Was something to watch and I was right there, not 100 feet from the 'incident'

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

More shakeups...   I'm thinking the message may get through under Trumps command staff... 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-09-18/us-navy-fires-two-commanders-after-asia-sea-accidents
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

More shakeups...   I'm thinking the message may get through under Trumps command staff... 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-09-18/us-navy-fires-two-commanders-after-asia-sea-accidents

Not quite correct, but it is the media after all.  Why ruin a story line with facts...  neither ship collided with merchant ships, the merchant ships collided (hit the Navy boats), not the other way around.  In the case of the Fitz it was an overtaking collision, IOW the Fitz was making headway but not at the speed the merchant ship was moving.  In fact, according to the ship's transponder, it was making maximum turns prior to hitting the Fitz.

Something stinks but I'm sure the public will never know what the smell is.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Report: Massive morale problems aboard US Navy ship
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

if things are this bad on one particular ship it's probably a safe assumption that there are issues on more than one of the others!!!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/report-massive-morale-problems-aboard-us-navy-ship

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »

Saw where the top officers of the Fitz have been given "land" duties...   the end of their careers. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

Some commentary on the Navy boats that crashed:

https://warontherocks.com/2017/11/what-we-learned-from-the-navys-collision-inquiries/
Interesting read  - and how the navigation systems take a back seat to weapons upgrades...  bet that changes soon!
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »

This may cut a lot of 'fat' at the top of the ranks...

but what are a few imported prostitutes (I wonder if they're better than domestic prostitutes>) between friends :o :o :o

This could explain all those ships crashing though...

the captains may have been letting the hookers steer ;D ;D ;D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/fat-leonard-scandal-expands-to-ensnare-more-than-60-admirals/2017/11/05/f6a12678-be5d-11e7-97d9-bdab5a0ab381_story.html?utm_term=.5cd87f80a6f3

Pages: [1]   Go Up