MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Berlin township fire

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berlin township fire  (Read 784 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Berlin township fire
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »

Makes a lot of sense and never understood why Townships haven't done this years ago when the Michigan Township Association made recommendations that Townships take greater notice for their fire services.   

The question I have is why isn't Estral Beach included?    its not in the township or its a village that has its own taxes?   Not familiar with either so that's why I'm asking for others with more expertice in that area  :)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171028/berlin-combines-newport-south-rockwood-fire-units-into-one-department
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: Berlin township fire
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »

We all know I am an advocate of regional fire protection. With the existing mutual aid compact we are a defacto regional fire department now but with way too much overhead and way too many buildings and separate fiefdoms
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »

Makes a lot of sense and never understood why Townships haven't done this years ago when the Michigan Township Association made recommendations that Townships take greater notice for their fire services.   

The question I have is why isn't Estral Beach included?    its not in the township or its a village that has its own taxes?   Not familiar with either so that's why I'm asking for others with more expertice in that area  :)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171028/berlin-combines-newport-south-rockwood-fire-units-into-one-department

That is correct...   villages are part of the township but they also have their own tax base.  If you live in a village you literally pay 3 tax bills a year. 

My take on Berlin township 'consolidating' fire departments is that they took the opportunity to do it when multiple events mostly coincided.

One of their long time chiefs (I don't recall which one) had retired anyway.

Like most other fire departments across the country they are in a scenario of falling memberships.  Not as many young people willing to step up and make the very steep commitment that is required today. 

Probably there was also an opportunity to save some money. 

Erie township is a much smaller township population wise and they still have two completely separate departments.  The city of Luna Pier also has a fire department even though they are working through the loss of much of their tax base due to the closing on the Consumers Power Plant.

Whiteford township is also a low population township that has two departments.  Ottawa Lake is not a village but rather just the west edge of the township.

Then there is LMR (London, Maybee, Raisinville.  Two townships and one village that work together.  Of not is that Ida responds to calls in the section of Raisinville Township south of the River Raisin. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »

Bedford has 3 stations and about half the firefighters it use to have. And I think a big share of them are from Whiteford..

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »

We all know I am an advocate of regional fire protection. With the existing mutual aid compact we are a defacto regional fire department now but with way too much overhead and way too many buildings and separate fiefdoms

If you ever get enough interest I'd be willing to lead that "committe/effort" as there are plenty of successful models that include incorporating  the full time/volunteer each community currently has - and builds upon that.    Elminating the duplication of services, or adding them in areas that can't afford is the intial benefits - mass purchasing,  a unified structure of command and the coordination of equipment by region...   

but then again I forget  this is a fiefdom issue...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up