MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Anyone familiar with VESTIBULAR REHABILITATION?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with VESTIBULAR REHABILITATION?  (Read 486 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Anyone familiar with VESTIBULAR REHABILITATION?
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »

Back in the spring my wife fell one day and broke a small bone.  Long term minor issue except she had gotten a bit dizzy (no blonde jokes please....   I've already thrown those at her) and has continued to have periodic dizzy spells.  Lots of doctor visits with poking and prodding and they've drawn enough blood to paint a barn!

Vertigo was the diagnosis but then the question became 'why'. 

More testing and multiple MRIs and we know for sure she has a brain and she doesn't have any tumors in it.  Good to know but only told us what she didn't have...  not what she did have.  Finally this week they're 'pretty sure' it's an issue in her left ear and the suggested 'fix' is to go for Vestibular Rehabilitation.  The doctor even suggested that he just happened to have a cousin who runs a practice that handles these very issues :-\ :-\ :-\

I would say I have a better than average understanding of anatomy and medicine although most of my first hand experience is in 'emergency medicine' and this is obviously at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I did some googling and found a doctor (not anywhere near here) that explains a little bit but we're looking for more information.

Anyone had any 'first hand' experience in this field or do any of you have a cousin that does this type of rehab...

just as soon give your cousin the money...   the doctors we've been to trying to get this far have all bought new cars I'm pretty sure :) :) :)

https://www.stlouisear.com/vestibular-rehabilitation.html

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Anyone familiar with VESTIBULAR REHABILITATION?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »

All of these doctors who all seem to have a cousin that can help you remind me of the old Joshua Doore Funiture ad...

and he ended up dead in the trunk of a Lincoln Continental!!!

Joshua Doore furniture commercial (1970s)

If you're too young to remember Joshua Doore Furniture it was where the Gibraltar Trade Center is now.

http://www.retrokimmer.com/2014/11/mysterious-death-of-furniture-store.html

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »

I had periods of slight dizzyness when I would stand up from sitting.. It only lasted seconds...it was a combination of increasing thyroid meds and eliminating blood pressure meds..  I haven't had any issues in last 2 years..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »

I had periods of slight dizzyness when I would stand up from sitting.. It only lasted seconds...it was a combination of increasing thyroid meds and eliminating blood pressure meds..  I haven't had any issues in last 2 years..

Yes, they have eliminated potential drug reaction too.

It wasn't a real surprise (at least not to me) that it came back to an issue in her ears.  She has had hearing issues for years so it would have seemed logical to me to have started with her ears rather than test everything else first and then go to here ears.  I guess it was good to eliminate the potential of a brain tumor early on. 

Anyway, in the end I think they have it right.

Pages: [1]   Go Up