MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Fake news and sensationalized propaganda perpetuated by idiots...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake news and sensationalized propaganda perpetuated by idiots...  (Read 1358 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Getting real tired of reading in the print newspaper sensationalized lies, thinly covered up by idiots that know nothing about what they are publishing...

Case in point, Yesterday the Blade did a front page story on the Texas Church shootings.  Nowhere, did they mention that in fact, a private citizen shot the perp in the parking lot of the church prior to his jumping in his truck and speeding away with the private citizen(s) in pursuit (and relaying their location to police dispatchers.  The perp took his own life (self inflicted gunshot) and crashed the truck, long before LE arrived on the scene.

Nothing was mentioned in the story.  What was published in the Blade was the fact that the perp used an ASSAULT RIFLE to kill the churchgoer's.

Fact of the matter is, what is the definition of an 'assault rifle'?

In actuality, any firearm used for killing other humans can be deemed an assault weapon.  Don't have to be a rifle, could even be a hammer, then it becomes an 'assault hammer'....

Don't think the Blade staffers have any idea but then 'fake news' is about sensationalism, not presenting the facts as it should be with upstanding journalism.

I get real agitated reading that drivel because it turns the unknowing and uneducated public against firearms in general.

Today, it's sad you have to wade through the BS to get the facts.

The Blade should be ashamed of itself.

At least the MN didn't go that route.  as typical, they just pulled the AP wire story and didn't add their own 'relish' to the report.

One of the Nation's 'Great Newspapers'...right.  A scandal sheet and fear monger and little else.  We get it for the ads and coupons but it has little viable content, however, it's loaded with opinions and bullshitte.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Fake news and sensationalized propaganda perpetuated by idiots...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »

I don't know that there is a media organization out there that can simply write or broadcast a news story without slant one way or the other.  It's sad, really sad.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »

If you don't like what you read then don't read it anymore. 

If you and enough like minded consumers quit buying then they will eventually either change or go out of business.

Problem solved :) :) :)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »

Understand, but I have been a news addict since high school.  I find it frustrating to have to try and filter out slants just to keep up on the news.

Newspapers.....I haven't purchased in years on a regular basis.  I think the only time I get one nowadays is if I am in a foreign country and starving for something to read in English.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

I still get the Blade everyday but don't pay much attention to national articles.  I don't get the MEN anymore since they stopped delivering on my street.

I don't believe anything on cable news.  Local news stations out of Toledo are only good for local info.
CNN, MSNBC, NBC etc aren't news organizations.  I do watch some of Fox.  I don't believe they make stuff up like the others however they are always slanted toward the conservative side.
You have to wonder what's going on when there is heavy emphasis on someones wrongdoing but no grandjury or prosecuter ever steps in.  On the edge of fake news?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »

Understand, but I have been a news addict since high school.  I find it frustrating to have to try and filter out slants just to keep up on the news.

Newspapers.....I haven't purchased in years on a regular basis.  I think the only time I get one nowadays is if I am in a foreign country and starving for something to read in English.

I understand that completely and there are very few 'true' news sources I skip over. 

Now, the political sites that mask themselves as a news source are something else...   those I typically avoid unless there is something special I'm looking for. 

I don't mind reading two or three different 'slants' on a topic (especially if it's something being politicized that I'm thinking maybe shouldn't be politicized). 

Anyway, once I can sort out the true 'facts' from all the opinions then I can put the story / article where it belongs. 

One of the big issues with the term 'fake news' is does it have a true definable 'common' meaning.

For way too many people any news they don't agree with immediately gets labeled 'fake news'!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »

I'd still really like to see any 'media type' define the term 'assault rifle'.  They don't have a clue.  It's the 'dirty Laundry' syndrome.

I will commend the MN for not interjecting an opinion, just grabbing the AP story off the wire and publishing it without interjection, but then that was the easiest route.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 06:11:51 AM »

There is just no integrity in journalism anymore!

NBC corrects story that Trump attorney Michael Cohen was wiretapped, intercepted White House call

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/05/03/trump-attorney-michael-cohen-wiretapped-feds-white-house-call/577512002/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »

There is just no integrity in journalism anymore!

NBC corrects story that Trump attorney Michael Cohen was wiretapped, intercepted White House call

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/05/03/trump-attorney-michael-cohen-wiretapped-feds-white-house-call/577512002/

When it comes to 'breaking news' in the political arena my observation is if the story to 'too good to be true' for either the left or the right then the story probably isn't true!

My personal policy is to  always check at least a few and preferably several sources.  Each may be reporting something slightly different but eventually you can build a consensus.

At this point I put all the breaking news stories 'on hold' for a couple of weeks.  If the story is still standing then there must be something to it.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »

I agree, good practice......but still, my point is that there is just no responsibility left in journalism and I find that disturbing.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »

I agree, good practice......but still, my point is that there is just no responsibility left in journalism and I find that disturbing.

It all goes back to the race to be 'first' with breaking news!  In their eye it's better to be first than it is to be accurate!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »

Perhaps some sort of monetary punishment would enforce discipline before reporting.  Obviously credibility decline has no preventative impact.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »

People need to just stop paying attention to TV news and printed media. 
Advertisers like customers.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »

Perhaps some sort of monetary punishment would enforce discipline before reporting.  Obviously credibility decline has no preventative impact.

Drag 'em kicking and screaming out behind the news building and put on their knees and shoot 'em....

record it and broadcast it on all the news outlets...

that will cut down on the issue in a big hurry!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »

People need to just stop paying attention to TV news and printed media. 
Advertisers like customers.

What news source do you have that does not rely on advertisers for their paychecks?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up