MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Tesla

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 14253 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Tesla
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »

Yea, they are not my gig either, I still like the sound of that combustion engine.  But I will tell you what, I test drove a Model S development vehicle well before their release to mass production........that torque and responsiveness damn near gave me an erection!

The physics of an electric motor is...  They produce maximum torque at stall (0 rpm) and the faster the armature spins, the less torque they develop.  Why a diesel-electric locomotive make an excellent starting horse but a steam locomotive will beat any diesel electric for top speed.  Steam engines torque rise increases with rpm (so long as the boiler can supply enough steam that is.

So..  the seat of the pants feeling with an electric car will always be greater than an internal combustion engine.  IC engines build torque (torque rise) with rpm.  An electric motor don't.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »

I like the sound of the old muscle cars. I have a pretty new veh now with a 4cyl turbo and it doesn't make any noise..

There are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos on muscle car roar!!!

Muscle car roar

Listen real close as he's cranking the engine to start it...   the Vbelt squeals a tad just as it starts.  Part of regular maintenance was tightening the belt or out and out replacing it.  I kept a set of used ones in the trunk 'just in case'.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

When I went for my walk yesterday afternoon I happened to catch our neighbor outside...   the one that drives UPS semi trucks.  Asked him what he thought of the prospect of electric trucks and he figures that at least most of the original ones will stay right there in Nevada and California.

They have a few package trucks in Maumee.  I know, they visit my old employer (Freightliner of Toledo) on a regular basis.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »

VW and Corvair both used a gasoline fired heater.  Seems like at least the VW was a Bosch built heater.

VW used Bosch and I think Corvair used them as well but they could have been Stewart-Warner built under Bosch license..  I had a Veedub van with a Bosch unit.  That sucker would roast you out.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »

I had a 65 chevy with a 396 425HP.  It sounded a little better than that.  I noticed the guy pumping the gas.  That was a big no no.  It would flood easily.  In cold weather it was once to the floor to set the choke and that was it.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »

The physics of an electric motor is...  They produce maximum torque at stall (0 rpm) and the faster the armature spins, the less torque they develop.  Why a diesel-electric locomotive make an excellent starting horse but a steam locomotive will beat any diesel electric for top speed.  Steam engines torque rise increases with rpm (so long as the boiler can supply enough steam that is.

So..  the seat of the pants feeling with an electric car will always be greater than an internal combustion engine.  IC engines build torque (torque rise) with rpm.  An electric motor don't.

Totally understood the physics of it.......college engineering school paid off after all.  I was surprised at the physical magnitude of the physics was like on a human body.  Cool stuff.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

There ya go MN, reduce that overall carbon footprint!   ;)

Curious.....how effective is the heater in the passenger compartment?

Very effective. 

My generation didn't have a heat pump for heat - it has electric heat with toaster coils.

It is great - heat just about immediately when you ask for it.

Only problem - you can have range, or you can have heat, but you can't have both.  Hence - it is sitting in the corner of the garage.  I lose just enough distance using the heater that I don't feel comfortable it would make it on the cold days.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »

Problem is Fuzz, it don't reduce the carbon footprint, just moves it elsewhere....

The efficiency of the Monroe Coal Power Plant is far above that of even the best internal combustion engine.

Even with transmission and storage loses....  I think electric wins for lowest carbon footprint.

Now - if you want to talk about TOTAL footprint with the manufacturing?  Maybe not....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »

The efficiency of the Monroe Coal Power Plant is far above that of even the best internal combustion engine.

Even with transmission and storage loses....  I think electric wins for lowest carbon footprint.

Now - if you want to talk about TOTAL footprint with the manufacturing?  Maybe not....

Coal is bad, the 'greenies' want coal gone, replaced with wind and solar.  Nuke is out too.  Could you imagine wind turbines 6 deep from Zug Island to the Ohio line making sometimes wind power for us..  I cannot.  Wind turbines only make power when the wind blows and solar only when the sun shines...

I do my part to perpetuate the carbon footprint.  I'm all about it.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

If there's no wind you could just plug the wind turbine in to generate electricity couldn't you..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »

If there's no wind you could just plug the wind turbine in to generate electricity couldn't you..

What the wind turbine folks need to do is build a wind farm around the State Capitol.  Plenty of 'wind' up there to spin those wind turbines 24/7....  just say'in... ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »

What the wind turbine folks need to do is build a wind farm around the State Capitol.  Plenty of 'wind' up there to spin those wind turbines 24/7....  just say'in... ;D

Hoping the petition started by Brian Calley gets enough signatures to get on the ballot to put Mich legislature to part time.  I received a petition to collect signatures and have it filled and ready to return.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »

Hoping the petition started by Brian Calley gets enough signatures to get on the ballot to put Mich legislature to part time.  I received a petition to collect signatures and have it filled and ready to return.

So do I.  I found it interesting the my liberal family members (on CL's) side are against a part time legislature claiming it will never pass a ballot inititative.  I reminded them that they said Trump would never get elected either...  Bunch of liberal idiots.

Bunch of idiots (about Trump and the ballot inititative).  I want them to get the 300,000 dignatures (registered voters only) so Michigan voters can vote on what I see is a good plan to get the legislation in line with the majority of the rest of the country.

We need the same thing with insurance reform.  Make it a ballot inititative and get it out of the legislature's hands.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »

My only issue is, it was initiated by Calley, not a grass roots organization and having said that I wonder what Calley's motivation is.  I have to say, given the choices for governor, I will vote for Calley anyway.  Certainly not Schutte nor Gretchen or the towel head from Dearborn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up