MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > 1940 Census

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1940 Census  (Read 335 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
1940 Census
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »

Even though the 1940 Census was released a few years ago it's just now really getting indexed across the internet to where you can search by name.  At first you can find the family info provided you know the address they lived at so you can pull the proper card.

So far I've found my maternal grandparents in Dearborn.  They had paid $2000 for the house when they bought it.  We were up that way last week one day so we drove by and the house is gone.  Just an open lot.  I talked to the man next door and he says the house has been gone as long as he has lived there.  He also knew that the people on the other side of the lot now owned it but they didn't live there so I couldn't find any other info.  I'll work on finding them one of these days.

I had known my Mom lived in Jacksonville, Fl prior to and and during WWII. I found where she lived with her Aunt and her great Aunt.  That house looks like it's still there on Google streetview.  We'll have to make a side trip to Jacksonville on a Florida trip and look it up.
I also knew she had graduated from Robert E. Lee High school which is just a few blocks from the house.  It's still there but now they generally refer to it only as 'Lee' High School.

One of my Mom's sisters had lived in Atlanta, GA right on Memorial Drive.  I remember visiting them at the house when I was young (pre-teen).  I've frequently wanted to drive by when we were down there but I didn't have the address.  I found that on the census and then Google maps shows me that several years ago the house was bought by a large church and the house has been torn down. 

That's what I've had time to do so far but I'll keep plugging away and see who else I can find.

Anyone else found anything interesting?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: 1940 Census
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

I'm apparently looking at wrong web sites. Some ask you to sign in. Some I provide names, dates and places born and places lived and it tells me they found a hundred thousand names..Really?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »

I'm apparently looking at wrong web sites. Some ask you to sign in. Some I provide names, dates and places born and places lived and it tells me they found a hundred thousand names..Really?

I've hit that wall on more of my searches than I've been successful in.  It all depends on which of the websites have gone through page by page and indexed the info.  I'm sure that is very time consuming and expensive since all the cards I've downloaded were written in cursive.  I've found several incorrectly spelled names for streets too.  And if they've spelled the name of the family you're researching wrong then you may never find it.

I'll ultimately get a subscription to one of the genealogy sites but I'll do it when I can sit down and work on my research for several hours a day.

It's interesting that some of the info is available to Google so Google has had their robots 'crawl' the site (same as we see here) and index the info and make it available to the searching public.  I'm also hoping by the time I really need it that it will all be 'free'. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »

Here's one I picked at random.  I searched Google for "1940 census Telegraph Rd Monroe MI" and got lots of hits.

I picked this one because I'm guessing this is one that is spelled incorrectly.  There are still lots of Trabbics in the area but I don't know of anyone named Trabbie.  Very easy for a person to think a 'c' is an 'e' and even easier for a computer to do it if they are using a scanner with OCR (optical character recognition).  I have a couple of scanners with OCR and some do better in certain situations than others do.

https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Michigan/Anna-Trabbie_2xv9zn

This is what shows on the page.  Interesting that there weren't any house numbers.  Everyone pretty much knew everyone else in the community and for sure the mailman knew you.  Also interesting that Telegraph was route 25 at the time.  At some point they moved route 25 across the tracks to The Dixie and flagged Telegraph as route 24. 

Age   38, born abt 1902
Birthplace   Michigan
Gender   Female
Race   White
Home in 1940   
Telegraph Road US 25
Erie,
Monroe, Michigan
Household Members       Age
Head   
Levi Trabbie
Daughter   
Verna Trabbie
Daughter   
Irene Trabbie
Daughter   
Ruth Trabbie
Daughter   
Anna Trabbie   38
Daughter   
Marie Trabbie

When I clicked on the 'show actual record' button is when I ran into the signing up or logging in page.  But, for whatever reason I didn't get it on every page.

When I found my maternal grandmother in Dearborn (the one with the missing house) I got right to the card and downloaded it easily.  The OCR had slaughtered the street name and it took me a few days to figure it out.  I could see the house number so I looked up tax records in Dearborn to see if any of the streets with that number looked right...   nothing.  I got to thinking maybe they had built one of the freeways over the house.  I finally blew up the page and turned it sideways and I could read 'Middlesex' and it was easy to look up on Google aerial and see that it looked like there was no house on the lot.  And our in person visit confirmed the house was 'long gone'!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »

This is the site that gave me the actual image of the record when I did the Google search.

http://www.archives.com

I haven't tried searching direct there yet but I will later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up