MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Natural disasters in Monroe County over the years

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Natural disasters in Monroe County over the years  (Read 1106 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Natural disasters in Monroe County over the years
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »

As we've seen this past weekend the Lake Erie shoreline is prone to flooding under certain circumstances.  Here's an article from the MonroeNews that summarizes some of the more recent floods that have damaged the area.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180417/lake-erie-floods-of-1973-1985-and-1998
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Natural disasters in Monroe County over the years
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »

A personal family story from the 1985 flooding.  We had only lived down here a couple of years but had spent a lot of time getting around the area and especially the lakefront area in the county. 

One morning while it was storming we got a phone call from my Dad who was spending the winter in an RV park in Bradenton, Fl.  We had been there for Christmas and had an idea what they had for newspapers. 

Remember, this was in the time before cell phones were common and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet so a newspaper was a necessity if you wanted to know what was going on. 

My Dad said that the entrance sign to Grandview Beach in LaSalle was on the front page of the local newspaper.  It showed the sign about half covered in water and it was accompanied by a few lines about the flooding on Lake Erie. 

My Dad's comment was he wondered just how many people in the Bradenton area even knew where Grandview Beach was.  There are plenty of people right here in Monroe that don't recognize the name much less the location.  It's just north of North Shores and Toledo Beach and on the south and east side of Otter Creek.  There is also a little confusion in that in Frenchtown there is a Grand Beach.  Close but not the same!!!

To make it even more confusing Grand Boulevard is not at either Grandview Beach or Grand Beach but rather is the main entrance to  Detroit Beach...

go figure that one!!!

But, Grand Beach does have a Grandview Drive!

Are you confused yet?  Imagine a stranger in town looking for someone before the days of GPS and cell phones.

Grandview Beach does have a Beach Street although it is not along the beach.  The main street in Grandview Beach is North Lakeshore which is really an extension of Lakeshore at North Shores...

at least they don't call that street 'South Lakeshore'!!!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »

After I posted this I got to thinking about how many different 'natural' disasters there are that could fall under this topic.

Using my sometimes friend 'Google' I found this neat document from Monroe County (and you wonder where all your tax dollar$$$ go) and it has this list:

Specific Hazards ... 37
1. Tornadoes ... 37
2. Flooding ... 48
3. Transportation Accidents ..................................................................................... 76
4. Hazardous Material Incidents .............................................................................. 78
5. Infrastructure Failures .......................................................................................... 80
6. Severe Winds ... 83
7. Ice and Sleet Storms ............................................................................................. 93
8. Lake Erie Shoreline Hazards ................................................................................ 97
9. Public Health Emergencies .................................................................................. 106
10. Lightning ... 108
11. Hail ... 113
12. Snowstorms ... 118
13. Subsidence ... 126
14. Drought ... 128
15-16. Extreme Temperatures (Hot and Cold) ......................................................... 137
17. Wildfires... 151
18. Earthquakes ... 152
19. Fog ... 154
20. Invasive Species ................................................................................................. 158
Terrorism and Similar Activities .............................................................................. 159
Miscellaneous Hazards ............................................................................................ 160

This looks fairly inclusive to me!

Above from:

http://cms.revize.com/revize/monroecounty/emergency%20management/Monroe%20Hazard%20Mitigation%20Plan%20Mar%202017%20edition.pdf

Note:  this is over 200 pages if you're on a slow or metered ISP.

Earthquakes was one of my first thoughts.  We do have them around here although they are often not even felt by everyone and seldom cause any notable damage. 

Back in the mid 80s I was working in Point Place but literally only feet from the state line.  I was working on a concrete floor and didn't feel a thing.  A couple of the gals were working upstairs and they came flying down the steps asking "what was that"? 

"I don't know...   I didn't notice anything unusual"!

We all stood there looking back and forth and thinking the others were crazy ;) ;) ;)

I did find this site that tracks quakes but not a lot of detail.  I'm guessing there is a better info source out there somewhere.

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/us-mi-monroe/recent

I did find this 1977 state document about historic quakes.  Interesting that one of the first words that jumped out at me is "Karst"...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/GIMDL-CR14_216127_7.PDF

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »

As little as we're concerned with earthquakes we do have what seems like more than our share of tornadoes. 

Here is a link to some home movies from the 1965 Palm Sunday tornado in north Toledo and Erie townships.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/WEB-EXTRA-8MM-Palm-Sunday-film-480170413.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »

I posted this at least once before.

It's the video I shot of the March 15th (Ides of March!!!) Ida tornado from 2012.  My camera has lots of zoom and it does look like we're a lot closer than we really are.

We were about three miles away and actually a mile south as the tornado was moving northeast.  The secret was to keep an eye peeled for a new one that might decide to develop to the southwest of us!

This tornado did destroy a home on Ida Center Road. 

The microphone on my palmcorder is right in front of my face when I'm recording.  I don't breathe as hard as it makes it sound on the video although that was about the time I had a stent put in so I may have been having trouble breathing.  I know it was hot and humid that night.

As you can hear in the audio EMD was on their toes and had the sirens sounding.  That was probably at least the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd time they had been sounded that evening. 

Tornado 3.15.2012.wmv

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

Very ironic in that I started this thread yesterday and even commented about how rare an earthquake is in Michigan and what happened last night...

an earthquake...

although technically it was across the border in Canada the shock waves don't know anything about a border so they still made us shake.

We didn't feel anything but our dog sure did. 

Here's some news stories from this morning on the earthquake.  This one has a nice map and shows just how close to northern Monroe County it hit.  The first I knew about it was maybe ten minutes after 8 I saw a tweet from a someone that lives on Grosse Ile. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/04/19/michigan-earthquake/534813002/

From Mlive...   I see they have the same map!

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/04/a_36_magnitude_earthquake_occu.html#incart_2box_mlive_homepage_featured_entries

At least the NewsHerald article had a bit of humor included:

Above from:  http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/earthquake-hits-canada-downriver-area-and-everyone-runs-to-facebook/article_304757b8-44b8-11e8-90fc-4bbe2899c6c6.html

I found a couple of other creative memes regarding the lack of damage to our roads!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up