MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Recreational Weed

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreational Weed  (Read 4890 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
Recreational Weed
« on: April 26, 2018, 11:47:18 PM »

I see the recreational marijuana subject will be on the ballot this Nov.

YES !

Get out there and vote people.
Support those fast food franchises. Help the tax base.
Besides, I’d rather hit the pipe, than ruin my liver.

Fuzz . . . You with me ?

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Recreational Weed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »

personally i don't care what people eat or smoke.
There are guys at the gym that smoke that stuff before they get there and then mostly act like idiots.  I'm not sure how they arrive safetly..

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »

personally i don't care what people eat or smoke.
There are guys at the gym that smoke that stuff before they get there and then mostly act like idiots.  I'm not sure how they arrive safetly..
Its like alcohol - except they don't become violent idiots... 

of course many were that way before - it just comes out more.

Id rather see it legal - then the resources could finally be put towards the opoids - where people actually are dying and commit crimes. 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »

I'm in nails!   ;)

Going to the gym stoned?  Generally afterwards for me I head to the lazy boy with a bag of chips and dip and watch the Andy Griffith show and laugh at Otis and Barney!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »

I think we can throw all the money we have at the opoid crisis and as long as we allow the drugs to flow into the country it will consume the whole budget.
There are issues with the people using the hard drugs that need addressed.  Not just reviving them every day

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »

CL and I will be a NO vote on the weed inititative.  Kind of moot anyway.  Federal Law makes it illegal to possess, cultivate or transport it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »

CL and I will be a NO vote on the weed inititative.  Kind of moot anyway.  Federal Law makes it illegal to possess, cultivate or transport it.
So your against choice of a less harmful option than Alcohol? 

No one says you have to imbibe!    but you could benefit from the taxes ;)     

Federal laws cover the crossing State lines -  and since we don't have federal police - its how States have been getting around that so far...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »

So your against choice of a less harmful option than Alcohol? 

No one says you have to imbibe!    but you could benefit from the taxes ;)     

Federal laws cover the crossing State lines -  and since we don't have federal police - its how States have been getting around that so far...

But we do.  Called Federal Marshals.

Tax wise I see no benefit.  Any taxes the pot yields will be squandered by Lansing.  Just like the lottery was supposed to help education.  Haven't seen that either.

My feeling on booze is, if you want to be a boozer, no problem with me, just don't drink and drive.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »

Well, I see Canada just legalized recreational weed.
Kind of hope Michigan can do the same.
Seems like among other things, it might slow down the opioid usage.
The taxes collected would be another plus.
Other than the threat of obesity, I think it's safer than alcohol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/canadas-senate-votes-to-legalize-marijuana/2018/06/19/ab346ea7-807a-4fd4-b08d-0757c9d8f76c_story.html?utm_term=.5ab0167dad64

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »

And maybe our jails would be less crowded.
I think the next logical thing to do would be to release anyone in jail for an offense that would now be legal if the ballot proposal passes--which it will by a handy margin.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

And maybe our jails would be less crowded.
I think the next logical thing to do would be to release anyone in jail for an offense that would now be legal if the ballot proposal passes--which it will by a handy margin.

I've been in a few discussions over the years on what 'might' happen when all out legalization might occur. 

One topic was that the local legal system would suffer financially due to the heavy impact from the loss of work and revenue. 

How far back should they go with removing the crimes from their records?

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

Not sure if they should take the offense off of their record or not. There are probably good arguments for both positions. I think for sure if you have charges pending or are in jail for a minor marijuana offense that would now be legal that you shouldn't have to live out your sentence.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:02 AM »

Not sure if they should take the offense off of their record or not. There are probably good arguments for both positions. I think for sure if you have charges pending or are in jail for a minor marijuana offense that would now be legal that you shouldn't have to live out your sentence.

Are there any breakdowns anywhere that show how much these minor offenders 'contribute' to the 'system' in the way of fines and costs as well as numbers over at the jail?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »

I doubt theres a report but if you just look at the daily police reports you can assume that when pot is legal there's going to be a definite drop in revenue. There's not a lot of people in the county jail for possession I assume so it probably won't effect the jail population to any great extent.

Every time I see somebody that payed some ridiculous fine for possession of pot I want to reach out and slap them for not just getting their card.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

On a side note, the City of St. Louis is not prosecuting for offenders caught with less than 100 grams.  I was somewhat surprised since I would think if you were caught with 3.5 ounces while wandering around town that that amount would be intent to distribute.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up