MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Recreational Weed

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreational Weed  (Read 4889 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Recreational Weed
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »

Well, I see Canada just legalized recreational weed.
Kind of hope Michigan can do the same.
Seems like among other things, it might slow down the opioid usage.
The taxes collected would be another plus.
Other than the threat of obesity, I think it's safer than alcohol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/canadas-senate-votes-to-legalize-marijuana/2018/06/19/ab346ea7-807a-4fd4-b08d-0757c9d8f76c_story.html?utm_term=.5ab0167dad64

Far as tax collected, I just look at that as more money for Lansing to squander.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »

I'm thinking the ballot proposal will pass by a margin of 64 %

And there will be a lot of wasted money on both sides leading up to the vote.

I also have it on good authority that Randy Richardville is working for an anti marijuana legalization group.

Go figure !!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:11:10 PM by Maverick »
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »

OK, that's it!

I'm gonna go Maxine Waters onhisass next time I see him!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 08:26:11 PM »

I'm thinking the ballot proposal will pass by a margin of 64 %

And there will be a lot of wasted money on both sides leading up to the vote.

I also have it on good authority that Randy Richardville is working for an anti marijuana legalization group.

Go figure !!

That doesn't surprise me one bit!

In the beginning I thought he was going to do a pretty good job representing all of his constituents.  After I caught him out and out lying to me (to my face at that) I realized he was just another slick willie politician.  He did manage to sucker me out of a few donations along the way though.  In hindsight (which is always 20-20) shame on me for being so naive >:( >:( >:(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »

Those the 'hit the pipe' won't be employed either and if they are and get a random, they are done.  Not in my best interests and I see the County Comissioners election was close, very close this time.  Sounds to me like the voters are saying something.... ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »

Those the 'hit the pipe' won't be employed either and if they are and get a random, they are done.  Not in my best interests and I see the County Comissioners election was close, very close this time.  Sounds to me like the voters are saying something.... ;D

Please explain why that would matter to you.

I'm a strong believer in "live and let live".  I have a hard enough time taking care of my own business much less anyone else. 

I've had staff that I knew were 'using' but it never had any impact on their work or my business.  On the other hand I've had staff that were drunk 5 nights a week or maybe more.  They couldn't make it into staff meetings by 9 am and that did have an impact on my business.  We soon found those people a new place to work!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »

Had those problems where I worked. People that came in smelling or came in late were gone. But management went to treatment paid for by co. Not much different than today.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:20 PM »

Had those problems where I worked. People that came in smelling or came in late were gone. But management went to treatment paid for by co. Not much different than today.

My staff were all 'independent contractors' so I could not tell them what to do or when to do it (other than show up on time for staff meetings).  Our independent contractor agreement stated they had to produce a minimum revenue every year and not producing was enough cause for them to move down the road.

Didn't even need a bean counter to figure it out ;) ;) ;)

There are still a few of them out there that I actually get along pretty good with.

Again, if it's not impacting me I don't care what they do.  If it is impacting me then we figure out a way for it not to be impacting me!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:34 PM »

I still like being impacted now and then.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »

Please explain why that would matter to you.

I'm a strong believer in "live and let live".  I have a hard enough time taking care of my own business much less anyone else. 

I've had staff that I knew were 'using' but it never had any impact on their work or my business.  On the other hand I've had staff that were drunk 5 nights a week or maybe more.  They couldn't make it into staff meetings by 9 am and that did have an impact on my business.  We soon found those people a new place to work!!!

Simple, I don't want that shitte in the township (grow and distribution).  I believe in live and let live as well, but don't put in it my face becauaue I instantly go from complacient to pro active.

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »

Every time I see somebody that payed some ridiculous fine for possession of pot I want to reach out and slap them for not just getting their card.

One reason I can see people not getting a card . . .

If you have a CPL, you wouldn't want to lose it, which I would assume you would do if
the Feds cross referenced the card holders with the CPL licenses. I know I wouldn't take that chance.
I can almost guarantee you'll never read of a pothead going apeshit and shooting up a place.
Worst thing a pothead would do is shoplift a donut.

But . . you can be a stumbling, fall down drunk, and still keep your CPL. 
          Just don't carry when drinking.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:01:16 AM by nails »
Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »

Simple, I don't want that shitte in the township (grow and distribution).  I believe in live and let live as well, but don't put in it my face becauaue I instantly go from complacient to pro active.

You're a typical 'NIMBY' but the entire township might be considered a pretty big 'back yard'.

What is being proposed would be entirely legal under the new laws and none of the buyers would be criminals because it would no longer be illegal. 

Question:  How many 'illegal' grow and distribution operations are there currently in your township?  I don't have specific numbers but I attended a drug info class put on by the MCSD several months ago.  The highest concentration of 'grow' (and I assume they also distribute) operations in the county are in the row of townships west of US23 because there are fewer homes and larger parcels.  Easier to hide the operations.

So, apparently right now it's there and not many people know about and everyone involved is a criminal (technically).  Under the new law much of that will change.  It may take awhile to weed out all of the local grow operations but in other states where they have legalized it has led to a decline in illegal operations which was part of the original goal.

I've said before I don't have a personal interest one way or another but I do know a lot of veterans that suffer from various ailments that most claim can be treated with marijuana.  So, it will still be the same people in the area 'buying' but they won't be doing anything illegal so they loose the 'criminal' tag. 

Several recent studies show an increase in commercial real estate values in areas surrounding grow and distribute operations.  More traffic for one business translates to more traffic for most any other business.  I have not seen any studies on residential properties but I'm thinking most of the 'G & D' operations are going to be in rural or commercial/industrial areas. 

So far the Michigan Legislature has not taken any steps (at least that I am aware of) to require any disclosure of nearby 'G&D' operations, legal or illegal. 

It is interesting what they have required sellers to disclose though!   

8. Farm or farm operation in the vicinity; or proximity to a landfill, airport, shooting range, etc.?

You have to disclose if the home you're selling is in the vicinity of a "farm operation"!  Who would possibly want to live near a farm?  They're so nasty with odors and dust (I'm citing now from the Michigan Right to Farm Act which has nothing to do with this form other than they were both enacted by our fine legislators!!!

I still struggle with the words proximity and vicinity.  Way too vague but the legislature left it that wan intentionally because one person's proximity is not the same as the next person's vicinity.  The legislature says it is up to individual buyers and/or sellers to work these definitions out as per individual transactions...   whoa...   talk about double talk!!!

Airport...   is that the flying farmer that has a small plane in his barn that he gets out 3 or 4 times a year and goes flying from his grass airstrip...   or does that mean Detroit Metro?  I wouldn't want to live near Metro but i would like to have a small STOL plane and a STOLport.  Would fit nicely across the back field of our property.

How about a landfill...   do they mean active like down on the state line behind Menard's or do they mean the one that served Petersburg but they shut down in 1964?  Which one do you suppose is more dangerous?

Shooting range...   is that what Livewire operates (does he still run that?) or is that what the State Police have down the road from us.  Or does that apply to the guy that shoots out in their back yard sometimes? 

All of these words are intentionally left vague by the legislature and are only intended to get buyers and sellers talking and making sure the buyer is 'aware' of what's in the vicinity (is that 300 yards or 5 miles...  no one knows). 

Anyway, no mention at all about grow operations.  Apparently the smell of horse @#$% is more offensive than the smell of marijuana!!!

It will be interesting if the legislature decides to make any changes after the full legalization most likely happens.  I've always been curious why they didn't include and kind of 'suspected' illegal operation but that would probably open a big can of worms for local authorities. 

For the record the legislature has not made any changes to the Michigan Seller Disclosure Act since 2006.  I guess they've been too busy kicking that fix the roads can down the road >:( >:( >:(

Here's a link to the form I quoted above.  That line will be in about the middle of the 3rd page.  #8 under 'other items'.

For all you dirty old men that strained your eyes looking at the young gals in the skimpy attire (yes, I saw it too!!!!) there's a button at the lower right of the page to increase the size of the font or zoom in on the page I guess.

https://libertytitle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/FSBO-final-E-Lansing.pdf

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »

One reason I can see people not getting a card . . .

If you have a CPL, you wouldn't want to lose it, which I would assume you would do if
the Feds cross referenced the card holders with the CPL licenses. I know I wouldn't take that chance.
I can almost guarantee you'll never read of a pothead going apeshit and shooting up a place.

But . . you can be a stumbling, fall down drunk, and still keep your CPL. 
          Just don't carry when drinking.

Will that change once Michigan (more than likely) allows recreational use? 

For the time being it's still going to be considered illegal by the Feds.

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »

But if MI allows recreational usage, you probably won't need any kind of card or registration.

So, unless you get arrested for the Federal charge of possession, no one knows anything.
And if recreational and medical use are allowed, I doubt anyone will be looking too hard for users.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

But if MI allows recreational usage, you probably won't need any kind of card or registration.

So, unless you get arrested for the Federal charge of possession, no one knows anything.
And if recreational and medical use are allowed, I doubt anyone will be looking too hard for users.

Yes, that's what I intended to say.  I see 'federal' border patrol cars almost every day and an occasional ICE vehicle. 

You'd be surprised how many ongoing FBI and US Marshal investigations are going on at any time in Monroe County. 

Still going to be a lot of illegal drugs in Michigan so I can see the potential for some 'overlap'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up