MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Recreational Weed

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreational Weed  (Read 2035 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
Re: Recreational Weed
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »

For what it's worth, here's a link to some tax information related to Colorado.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/revenue/colorado-marijuana-tax-data

I think it could be a substantial income for the state of MI.
Screw the libraries. Use it to fix the roads.

As they say " Pot for potholes ".

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »

I'm voting no for a simple reason.

Laws made via ballot initiatives are typically not well thought out and all of the ramifications  are not considered.

Let the legislature pass the law! 

Michigan doesn't need another medical Marijuana type bill where we have to wait for the judicial to define what the law really means.

And oh yeah, Marijuana will still be a federal felony, no matter what the Michigan voters decide.

Employers will still not hire those that can't pass a piss test.

The state and federal legislatures need to fix those two points.   It can't be fixed with a state ballot initiative.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 09:22:19 AM »

Marijuana will still be a federal felony, no matter what the Michigan voters decide.

That may not be the issue you think it is.
Companies are relaxing the drug testing simply because
so many potential employees DO use weed for relaxation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-05/the-coming-decline-of-the-employment-drug-test

Kind of like Prohibition. Tried it.  Didn't work. Public was against it.  Give up and tax it.

Which brings me to . . . alcohol.
Booze and cigarettes are OK because . . . lawmakers like to drink and smoke.
We know both are serious health threats. No question.
Why are they OK.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:44:46 AM by nails »
Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »

That may not be the issue you think it is.
Companies are relaxing the drug testing simply because
so many potential employees DO use weed for relaxation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-05/the-coming-decline-of-the-employment-drug-test

Kind of like Prohibition. Tried it.  Didn't work. Give up and tax it.

Which brings me to . . . alcohol.
Booze and cigarettes are OK because . . . lawmakers like to drink and smoke.
We know both are serious health threats. No question.
Why are they OK.

So fix it in the Legislature.

Let them consider all the ramifications, write a coherent law that take it into account, and pass it.

Otherwise I guarantee the Courts will end up telling us what the ballot initiative means - just like the Medical Marijuana thing - that still isn't worked out.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »

Most if not all large companies are going to prohibit drugs and alcohol on the shop floor as being to dangerous to all employees.
And the unions will then argue (they already do) that if it goes in the contract every employee of the company should also be prohibited from taking anything and will be subject to random tests. 
That's just the way it goes down.

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »

Of course they will prohibit drugs and alcohol on the floor.

The drug test for employment is now disqualifying the casual person who would smoke a joint on the weekend or even while watching TV at home after work. Just like the person who drinks a beer in the evening.

No one is saying you should be able to smoke weed while performing your job. Although I know of a couple people who go to the factory with rum and coke in their lunchbox.

No one can answer the question . . . why is it OK and lawful to smoke and possess cigarettes, which are a proven health hazard (to the degree that they have to print health warnings on the label). Why is it better to smoke 15-30 cigarettes a day, rather than smoking an occasional joint in the evening.
Why is it OK to drink booze. We know it is a major cause of auto accidents.

It's just a blatant double standard.

But like I said previously, Lawmakers like to drink, so it's OK.

Curmudgeon in training.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »

I’ve been told that marijuana stays in your system for hours.  So how do you tell when the person ingested the stuff. If you are sick and every doctor agrees  marijuana’s the right think you have a case. The rest of you I feel sorry for that you have to get high to get they the day

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »

Depends on what you mean by "in your system"......in your blood system up to 60 days or so, as far as in "how long is a good buzz?......few hours max.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »

It's just a matter of time before its legal.  Need more and more progressives in governments and judgeships.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »

Yup, I agree.  I've said for years that the generational changes in public office would eventually become more pot friendly that would clear the way towards legalization.  It all started to become much more acceptable within the government ranks going back to the Clinton years.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »

Depends on what you mean by "in your system"......in your blood system up to 60 days or so, as far as in "how long is a good buzz?......few hours max.

Want a real buzz. grab a hold of some bare electric wires...
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »

I’ve been told that marijuana stays in your system for hours.  So how do you tell when the person ingested the stuff. If you are sick and every doctor agrees  marijuana’s the right think you have a case. The rest of you I feel sorry for that you have to get high to get they the day

the Tests are all F'd up... 

Alcohol goes out in hours
Heroin goes out in hours
Marijuana residue lasts 3-4 weeks... 

Which would you hire?   The alcoholic,  addict, or recreational user
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »

I'm voting no for a simple reason.

Laws made via ballot initiatives are typically not well thought out and all of the ramifications  are not considered.

Let the legislature pass the law! 

Michigan doesn't need another medical Marijuana type bill where we have to wait for the judicial to define what the law really means.

And oh yeah, Marijuana will still be a federal felony, no matter what the Michigan voters decide.

The state and federal legislatures need to fix those two points.   It can't be fixed with a state ballot initiative.

The state had the opportunity...  and did what they do best -  NOTHING...

Can't get them to pass simple legislation for safety of firefighters -  why would someone think they would do this?

That's why ballot initiatives are the evil necessity of our land... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »

... and now we have to dorks and one will inhabit the governor's office.  How comforting.  It's amazing what things distill down to isn't it?

Kind of surprises me that the legislature even shows up.  I wonder if, during session, they can even find the rest rooms.... ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »

the Tests are all F'd up... 

Alcohol goes out in hours
Heroin goes out in hours
Marijuana residue lasts 3-4 weeks... 

Which would you hire?   The alcoholic,  addict, or recreational user

Pee tests are.  Hair pulls aren't.  Hair pulls are like the annular rings in a tree trunk, tells all in detail.  Also expensive to perform.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up