MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Super Armory to be built in Dundee

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Armory to be built in Dundee  (Read 700 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Super Armory to be built in Dundee
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

Not technically a business but generally any military installation gives the local economy a good bump!

A $50M construction project will definitely add some $$$ immediately and then ongoing operations will probably vary.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what a 'super' armory is.  The news on 13ABC mentioned that they would be fencing a huge field so sounds like it may involve vehicles.  Hopefully there will be more details after the official announcement which is slated for about 10 minutes from now in Dundee.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/New-major-Michigan-National-Guard-development-comes-to-Dundee-482331041.html

http://www.misenategop.com/media-advisory-walberg-zorn-to-help-announce-major-michigan-national-guard-development-in-dundee/

Map link from above media advisory:

https://goo.gl/maps/emNnMR1a4rp
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Super Armory to be built in Dundee
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »

This article just popped up.  It says the site is 44 acres but it also doesn't sound like they're going to start building right away!

Perhaps they'll put up a sign that says "Opening Soon" 8) 8) 8)

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/11/michigan-national-guard-dundee-super-armory/601789002/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »

Good spinoff income for the local economy but no tax base I assume because it's a government building.  Local hotels and food joints will benefit tremendously unless they build housing too in the compound.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »

Good spinoff income for the local economy but no tax base I assume because it's a government building.  Local hotels and food joints will benefit tremendously unless they build housing too in the compound.

That would be my assumption.  I know in some cases the state does pay a small fee to local governments in lieu of property taxes but I'm sure if they do that in this case it will still fall far short of what normal taxes would have been.

Maybe this is what will fill up all those motel/hotel rooms they've built in Dundee in the last few years!

The info from the sale is already recorded at the Register of Deeds and it shows the purchaser clearly as the State of Michigan.

2018R08563 WARRANTY DEED 05-11-2018 11:39 AM $600000.00 3 pages

Parties
MONROE BANK & TRUST GRANTOR
DEPARTMENT OF MILITARY & VETERANS AFFAIRS GRANTEE
STATE OF MICHIGAN GRANTEE

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »

PILT  Payment in Lieu of taxes. When the state buys the property in London for a state game area they agreed to pay PILT so maybe this is the same thing. Buildings and improvements may well be excluded. The facility in Grayling has housing for probably 10,000 people and if this is going to be used for training then they may build their own housing.
I can only compare what they are proposing to what I see in Grayling. It will be on a much smaller scale of course but sounds like it will definitely create some spin off benefits to the Dundee economy.
It might be an eyesore if it's surrounded my chain link and concertina wire.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »

Looks like PILT is only for state owned property administered by the DNR which would include the London property. 

There may be some other forms of compensation for taxes on more urban state owned property such as the new armory but I can't remember ever encountering it. 

Here's some PILT info from the state website:

The payments are made by the Department of Treasury, and only on those public lands administered by the DNR.

Above from:

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79262_80437---,00.html

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »

PILT  Payment in Lieu of taxes. When the state buys the property in London for a state game area they agreed to pay PILT so maybe this is the same thing. Buildings and improvements may well be excluded. The facility in Grayling has housing for probably 10,000 people and if this is going to be used for training then they may build their own housing.
I can only compare what they are proposing to what I see in Grayling. It will be on a much smaller scale of course but sounds like it will definitely create some spin off benefits to the Dundee economy.
It might be an eyesore if it's surrounded my chain link and concertina wire.

I bet it will be, silver fence and razor wire around the top....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »

Will be interesting to see what specialty will be on site -  that will decide the levels of security.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »

Will be interesting to see what specialty will be on site -  that will decide the levels of security.

I assume Dundee probably has codes for fences but also wonder if a government project like this even has to follow any type of local building code. 

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

I'm thinking NO but they will probably try to get along. I'm sure Milan prison's fence isn't code compliant either.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

I doubt that Cabelas got much crap from Dundee when they applied for a building permit..

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »

I read in one of the articles that it would be about seven years before they obtained the funding from the feds to start PLANNING the facility.
It could be a boost to the local economy, but I don’t think it’s happening any time soon.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »

I read in one of the articles that it would be about seven years before they obtained the funding from the feds to start PLANNING the facility.
It could be a boost to the local economy, but I don’t think it’s happening any time soon.

There isn't really that much else going on in the way of big development in the county so I look at as better than nothing.

Actually, when you read all the details there's no guarantee this site will ever see anything more than a 'Coming in 7 years (maybe)' sign.  There are are states and other proposed facilities looking for the same federal $$$. 

It was the state's idea that if they already own the land they might get higher consideration.  I read that as we may never see anything but an open field in Dundee.  But at least it will be 'shovel ready'!

You might want to try to score that mowing contract.

Or maybe SCF can put in a hay field.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »

Wide ranging comments from the Dundee community on the local impact of the armory:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180516/what-are-dundee-community-reactions-to-armory-plans
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up