MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > "Alberto"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Alberto"  (Read 1006 times)

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
"Alberto"
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:13:08 AM »

My first in the 2018 series of "Death Storms".....

As of right now stat builder "Alberto" still lacks a closed circulation, and is producing no convective activity near the center of "circulation".... but hey it is May and damn near Hurricane season!  Climate change needs support and a story.  "Alberto" may become the earliest fake hurricane ever, someone will take a picture of a 50 year old (no longer in service) telegraph pole on the ground and a democrat family swamped by 3 inches of rain in the deep South, and a new natural disaster supporting CLIMATE CHANGE will be born!!!!

More people will be affected by scattered normal thunderstorm activity in the Great Lakes at the same time but there will be ZERO coverage!!!! 

"Alberto" is a late spring early summer low pressure center... nothing more, nothing less!!!! Naming it is just pushing a statistic.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: "Alberto"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »

My first in the 2018 series of "Death Storms".....

As of right now stat builder "Alberto" still lacks a closed circulation, and is producing no convective activity near the center of "circulation".... but hey it is May and damn near Hurricane season!  Climate change needs support and a story.  "Alberto" may become the earliest fake hurricane ever, someone will take a picture of a 50 year old (no longer in service) telegraph pole on the ground and a democrat family swamped by 3 inches of rain in the deep South, and a new natural disaster supporting CLIMATE CHANGE will be born!!!!

More people will be affected by scattered normal thunderstorm activity in the Great Lakes at the same time but there will be ZERO coverage!!!! 

"Alberto" is a late spring early summer low pressure center... nothing more, nothing less!!!! Naming it is just pushing a statistic.

Looks like this thread really belongs on the politics board!

Alberto is definitely the 'top story' on the various 24-7 weather channels. 

Politically, the Republican governor of Florida has declared a 'state of emergency' for every county in Florida although at this point the storm 'may or may not' even actually hit the state at all.  The next two states to the west have also declared emergency status for at least part of their state.  I'm not sure if those are Democrats or Republicans (or why it really matters either).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/27/storm-alberto-prompts-emergency-declarations-in-alabama-florida-mississippi.html

Looking at the 'long range' computer models which project where the storm 'may' go eventually takes it directly across our area.  Last night the center line was just east of Adrian but this morning that has shifted east and the center line is currently over around Oak Harbor, Ohio. 

I'm not sure if those are R or D computers though!

When I was in the Army we frequently referred to the time tested theory that "Prior planning prevents poor performance'.  Better to be over prepared than to stick your head in the sand and overlook the obvious 'potential' for problems. 

I have a backup sump pump all plugged in and standing by.  Other than that there's not too much I can do at this point other than keep an open mind.

I can find references to three prior storms 'named' Alberto since 1992.  Apparently it's a popular name for early storms.

Current storm path prediction which is obviously 'subject to change' by the hour.  Over the last 24 hours it has continued to shift more to the east.  If it does hit us directly then it looks like the farmers may not get much planting done for another week or two.

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »

So far Alberto is behaving and staying well out into the Gulf.  Eventually it will most likely hit land 'somewhere'.  The big question with any of these storms is how strong will it be when it comes ashore and how well prepared will everyone be when it finally hits.

As mentioned before all we know for sure at any given time is where the storm is currently positioned.  At any moment it can change abruptly regardless of what the computer models 'think' it should be doing!

The predicted path has changed back to the west again but unless it really swings we're going to get some more rain on Thursday and Friday it looks like.

We watched one of the farmers down the road this afternoon out working up 'spots' in his field where it was dry enough to get onto. 

We were over in Ida later and I saw a very long TerraGator go down the road. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »

In the last hour or two the 'core' speeds have jumped from 50 to 65 mph.  The graphic isn't labeled but it's from The Weather Channel's Twitter feed. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »

I was going to cut hay tomorrow.  Guess I'll wait until next weekend now.  Not enough dry down time.  Garden is getting planted,  Got taters in, cabbage, onions, brussels sprouts, peppers and zuchini .  Need to get in corn, beets and carrots.

Big garden this year, lots of green beans and onions, red, white and yellow.  Put 100 pounds of 46 on.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Thousands evacuate as Alberto bears down on northern Gulf Coast
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »

A 65 mph wind doesn't sound all that bad if you're away from the ocean and the 'storm surge'. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/28/thousands-evacuate-as-alberto-bears-down-on-northern-gulf-coast.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »

I was going to cut hay tomorrow.  Guess I'll wait until next weekend now.  Not enough dry down time.  Garden is getting planted,  Got taters in, cabbage, onions, brussels sprouts, peppers and zuchini .  Need to get in corn, beets and carrots.

Big garden this year, lots of green beans and onions, red, white and yellow.  Put 100 pounds of 46 on.

Probably a good idea.  The projected path keeps wiggling back and forth but we're still almost right in the middle of the current projection!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »

We were in Ky - on a golf trip and it missed the projections

We had perfect weather - first n 3 years down there!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »

Be happy getting the rest of the garden in at this point.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »

The latest projection shows the storm still shifting more to the west which appears to mean we'll be getting less rain.  A half an inch is still a lot of rain considering how wet the ground is.  Our sump pump is still running every 10 minutes or so!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »

A few more inches of rain and an east wind and all or Monroe County will be part of Lake Erie.

Then it has no worries....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

Lots of early planted (stupid) dead crops out here.  Sometimes I think farmers have as much sense as a rock.  Soybeans are in the toilet and corn will follow.  A few years of that and lots of farmers around here will be going tits up.  They are all carrying big notes on fancy equipment and JD finance don't care, they want their money.

Have to pay to play...

No notes on my equipment, all paid for except my new round baler and I have the funds to pay it off.  I don't because it's a business write off.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »

The storm keeps sliding to the west just a little bit at a time.  Maybe it will move far enough to spare us the monsoon rains!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »

Just watching 13ABC in Toledo and they are reporting that the temperature at Toledo Express Airport hit 99 degrees twice today.  That is not only a record high for today's date but also for the Month of May!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »

From Twitter:

Remnants of sub tropical storm Alberto could produce severe weather in portions of Southeast Michigan Wednesday afternoon and evening. #Miwx

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up