MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > USS Arizona

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Arizona  (Read 347 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
USS Arizona
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

Hasn't made much in the way of news but the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor) is closed for the immediate future due to cracks in the memorial pavilion itself.

Turn out one of the posters on another forum I frequent is on the oversight committee and he 'clued'us into what is really happening.

The Arizona is falling apart under the memorial, rusting away and becoming unstable but there is a much bigger issue and that is, the fuel tanks contain many thousands of gallons of bunker oil, how much exactly, no one knows but they do know it's there.

The danger is, at some point in the very near future the ship will become structurally unstable and the tanks could rupture and release the oil, how much no one knows.

Because the Arizona is a military grave site no Salvors are allowed to inspect the ship underwater or determine how much fuel is aboard (if any).  No one is sure but they will need to find out and soon and if the memorial is to ever reopen, it will need to be stabilized apart from the rusting hull that will no longer support it.

However it goes, will be a very touchy operation not to disturb the men that lay on the bottom with their ship.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: USS Arizona
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »

Hasn't made much in the way of news but the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor) is closed for the immediate future due to cracks in the memorial pavilion itself.

Turn out one of the posters on another forum I frequent is on the oversight committee and he 'clued'us into what is really happening.

The Arizona is falling apart under the memorial, rusting away and becoming unstable but there is a much bigger issue and that is, the fuel tanks contain many thousands of gallons of bunker oil, how much exactly, no one knows but they do know it's there.

The danger is, at some point in the very near future the ship will become structurally unstable and the tanks could rupture and release the oil, how much no one knows.

Because the Arizona is a military grave site no Salvors are allowed to inspect the ship underwater or determine how much fuel is aboard (if any).  No one is sure but they will need to find out and soon and if the memorial is to ever reopen, it will need to be stabilized apart from the rusting hull that will no longer support it.

However it goes, will be a very touchy operation not to disturb the men that lay on the bottom with their ship.

I suspect most of the news people in Hawaii are focused on the lava flow emergency!

I did see one article on it a few weeks back.  May have been in Stars and Stripes maybe.

It mentioned that they don't know exactly how much bunker fuel is still left on board.  It had been refueled just prior to the attack and it holds 1.5M gallons (now they're nuclear powered).  Immediately after the attack the ship was on fire for two and a half days and they literally don't know how much of the fuel burned off during the fire.  Since the memorial has been open visitors have been able to watch a few quarts a day that floats to the surface. 

No doubt they'll soon have to make some major decisions on how to proceed with both the fuel issue and the memorial itself.

I've never ever had any desire to visit Hawaii but if I did this is one place I would visit without a doubt. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: USS Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »

Here's an article from Stars & Stripes but it's from yesterday.  Maybe that's not where I read about it earlier.

https://www.stripes.com/news/navy/arizona-memorial-at-pearl-harbor-closed-indefinitely-1.529461
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: [1]   Go Up