MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?  (Read 2038 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180622/dte-ups-ante-seeking-60-percent-tax-cut

What is going to happen to Monroe County when every single Government entity gets to take a tax cut?

Will they cut their budgets accordingly - or will they take the route of recovering the tax dollars through higher millage rates?

I am sure happy to see that all the Government Officials are acting like professionals through this process.

The effects of the devaluation will be felt throughout Monroe County. McNew said the ISD alone stands to lose about $2.5 million from the devaluation, which impacts the technology millage, general levy and special educational millage.

“This is a travesty and we cannot sit idly by and let big business bully our schools and this community,” McNew said.

I think Stephen needs to take a deep breath and not get emotional.  This is just business.  DTE is looking out for their business and shareholders.  It isn't personal.  They aren't "bullying" you.  Don't make it personal.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »

It might be a great time for anyone that has been thinking about selling their home and moving out of the county to actually get to it.  It might make selling a home in the county in a few years a lot more difficult...

or at least to sell at anywhere near the current price level. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »

I agree that housing prices potentially will be impacted.

DTE is the biggest taxpayer, and the biggest employer.

In a SWOT analysis I would put them down as a threat...  it is never good to have so much of your well being invested in one basket.

As Monroe County has lost its manufacturing base - I think it's strength has become that it is a place with reasonably good schools and services, the tax rates were much lower than surrounding counties, and you could quickly get to Detroit, Toledo, Ann Arbor to work.

If the tax rates go up to offset the further loss of manufacturing - one reason to be there goes away.  To maintain the balance I would think that housing prices would fall - which would defeat the purpose of raising the millage rates.  In many other communities this has become a viscous circle.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 04:11:59 PM »

Monroe County government will either get fiscally responsible or have no choice.  You raise millages to compensate for your poor dollar management, people leave and it gets even worse.  Like that new fire station.  I'd be putting that on hold but I suspect the government in this county don't have that much fore sight.  It really won't impact us much at all.  We get no services from Monroe County other than the half baked attempts by the NCRC to maintain the road.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »

Monroe County government will either get fiscally responsible or have no choice.  You raise millages to compensate for your poor dollar management, people leave and it gets even worse.  Like that new fire station.  I'd be putting that on hold but I suspect the government in this county don't have that much fore sight.  It really won't impact us much at all.  We get no services from Monroe County other than the half baked attempts by the NCRC to maintain the road.

Just because they don't give you services doesn't mean that your taxes won't go up to cover those services.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

rands

• Elite Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

Apparently Rep. Hernandez from the St. Clair county area is looking for answers as to why home owners are being charged more for electricity since these so call "smart meters" have been installed. DTE has been caught over charging customers.  Per the article I read in the Port Huron Times Herald, one customer went away for almost a month, he turned off his heat and ac, unplug anything that didn't need to be on.  When he received his electric bill for that month, it was higher than the month before.  Kind of strange that DTE posted its biggest profit ever the same year that it pretty much switched everyone to these new meters.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »

Apparently Rep. Hernandez from the St. Clair county area is looking for answers as to why home owners are being charged more for electricity since these so call "smart meters" have been installed. DTE has been caught over charging customers.  Per the article I read in the Port Huron Times Herald, one customer went away for almost a month, he turned off his heat and ac, unplug anything that didn't need to be on.  When he received his electric bill for that month, it was higher than the month before.  Kind of strange that DTE posted its biggest profit ever the same year that it pretty much switched everyone to these new meters.

I am surprised at how many people just 'accept' what their utility bill is and pay it and go on while complaining about the price of gasoline going up a nickel yesterday. 

When the MGU gas meter reader is here I go out and take a picture of the meter within minutes of him (was a her for years) reading the meter.  Sometimes they make mistakes.

We have Consumer's Power and just got our 'smart' meter upgrade last summer.  I haven't caught them in any errors yet but I do watch the bill every month just to keep them honest.  Our costs actually seem to have gone down some since they installed the new meter. 

I don't know if I should ask them for a refund for the last 30 years or just leave it alone and hope they don't replace the new meter again!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »

I am surprised at how many people just 'accept' what their utility bill is and pay it and go on while complaining about the price of gasoline going up a nickel yesterday. 

When the MGU gas meter reader is here I go out and take a picture of the meter within minutes of him (was a her for years) reading the meter.  Sometimes they make mistakes.

We have Consumer's Power and just got our 'smart' meter upgrade last summer.  I haven't caught them in any errors yet but I do watch the bill every month just to keep them honest.  Our costs actually seem to have gone down some since they installed the new meter. 

I don't know if I should ask them for a refund for the last 30 years or just leave it alone and hope they don't replace the new meter again!

I learned a while back to look at Estimated vs Actual readings...   MGU apparently had only been estimating mine for a while and I got a "large" bill...   I just told them I was going to take the same amount of time they ignored reading - to catch up... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »

Smart meters are all about cutting overhead and screwing the end user.  Like the 911 surcharge coming up for a vote.  I'm a no.

I get tired of paying for inept government.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

I think the surcharge vote is going to bomb. People are fed up with governments.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »

I think the surcharge vote is going to bomb. People are fed up with governments.

The voters need to focus on the good part...

saving lives and time (money)...

The overall fees plus tax costs is an entirely different battle which needs to be discussed and fought on a different front.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »

I understand your feelings toward the new technology. 
But all this asking for and taking our money has to stop somewhere

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »

Got the little blurb handout.  Supposed to replace the aging radio's the first responders use..  Poo on that too.  If it isn't radio's, it's turn out gear and if it isn't turn out gear it's a new fire station.  I'm still a no vote.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »

The voters need to focus on the good part...

saving lives and time (money)...

The overall fees plus tax costs is an entirely different battle which needs to be discussed and fought on a different front.

The Lord said...  Those that help themselves survive.  I'm tired of governmental agencies helping themselves to my dollars.  I've never seen any governmental agency save time or money in my entire lifetime.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »

The fee vote isn't about putting in Smart911.

The fee vote IS about raising money in fees so they don't have to pay 1.3 million out of the general fund to run the 911 system anymore.

I am guessing at the end of the day the County Commissioners think we will all be like BRD and anxious to pay more for our phones for "safety."

They are lying to you.

Vote NO.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up