MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?  (Read 4728 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »

Okay.

I understand.

The ability to read is somehow diminished if you weren't a volunteer firefighter at some point in the last 50 years.

Gotcha.

Rah Rah Rah Police and Fire.  Check your brain at the door.

You and SidecarFlip need to get to get together on the forum rules committee...

just tonight he posted that what anyone read didn't count and that you had to have first hand experience...

now, which one is it ??? ??? ???

Not going to argue with you just like your comment about the 2500 dollar hammer, you don't know squat about that stuff, only what you read and hear.

Above quote from:

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=31134.msg766728#msg766728
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »

Whatever.  Again, key words are 'volunteer' and of course taxpayer money.  Roscommon has never saved this township a frigging penny.

Not going to argue with you just like your comment about the 2500 dollar hammer, you don't know squat about that stuff, only what you read and hear.

You and Monroenative need to get together on this issue.  He says it's not necessary to have experienced something first hand.  He says what you read is just fine.

Now you two are getting me confusesd...

which way is it?

Okay.

I understand.

The ability to read is somehow diminished if you weren't a volunteer firefighter at some point in the last 50 years.

Above quote taken from:

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=31134.msg766739#msg766739
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

At our advanced age, anything goes.  MN is a kid compared to us.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »

You and Monroenative need to get together on this issue.  He says it's not necessary to have experienced something first hand.  He says what you read is just fine.

Now you two are getting me confusesd...

which way is it?

Above quote taken from:

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=31134.msg766739#msg766739

Now you are trying to put words in my mouth.

For shame.......   For shame......
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »

The city has hired an attorney to challenge DTE's valuation reduction requests.   

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180719/monroe-hires-attorney-to-challenge-dte-energy

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »

$300 plus an hour...for nothing.  DTE is a business entity and as a business, it has every right to seek a tax devaluation.  If I was DTE, I'd close the Monroe plant entirely and say...  There ya go bozo's.

As an individual you can contest your valuation too.  DTE is no different, only difference is the amount.  I hope they get it.  Would be a wake up call to Monroe politicians to get fiscally responsible (f that is possible which I doubt)...

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »

Are you wishing for your own taxes to go up?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »

Are you wishing for your own taxes to go up?

Not really but they will anyway.  Fact of life living in America.  Never seen them go down...have you?

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »

$300 plus an hour...for nothing.  DTE is a business entity and as a business, it has every right to seek a tax devaluation.  If I was DTE, I'd close the Monroe plant entirely and say...  There ya go bozo's.

As an individual you can contest your valuation too.  DTE is no different, only difference is the amount.  I hope they get it.  Would be a wake up call to Monroe politicians to get fiscally responsible (f that is possible which I doubt)...

Only one problem - they also answer to their stockholders...   the  Monroe Plant makes power they can sell for a profit to those that are going "green"...

Spinning windmills are a fad - 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »

Only one problem - they also answer to their stockholders...   the  Monroe Plant makes power they can sell for a profit to those that are going "green"...

Spinning windmills are a fad -

I'm not so sure about that.  DTE and Consumers are both getting more and more of them across Michigan and other major power suppliers are building them across the country.

Take a drive up in the Thumb and then across around St. Louis and Alma.  They're building another 'wind farm' there right now.

https://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2018/06/more_than_70_wind_turbines_com.html

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

I'm not so sure about that.  DTE and Consumers are both getting more and more of them across Michigan and other major power suppliers are building them across the country.

Take a drive up in the Thumb and then across around St. Louis and Alma.  They're building another 'wind farm' there right now.

https://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2018/06/more_than_70_wind_turbines_com.html

Despite the propaganda, Windmills are not a reliable source of electric power.  When the wind isn't blowing the don't spin.  I guess around Monroe there is enough hot air generated by city council to keep them turning 24/7.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »

Despite the propaganda, Windmills are not a reliable source of electric power.  When the wind isn't blowing the don't spin.  I guess around Monroe there is enough hot air generated by city council to keep them turning 24/7.

But when they are spinning there is no cost for fuel of any type!

Batteries for storage are getting bigger and better all the time.

Consumers Power has a large 'pumped water' storage facility on the west side of the state. 

With all the gas power plants going in they work very good as a 'peaker' plant.  Much quicker response from a gas powered plant than from coal or even nuclear. 

At the rate they're building windmills here in Michigan someone must know something.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »

But when they are spinning there is no cost for fuel of any type!

Batteries for storage are getting bigger and better all the time.

Consumers Power has a large 'pumped water' storage facility on the west side of the state. 

With all the gas power plants going in they work very good as a 'peaker' plant.  Much quicker response from a gas powered plant than from coal or even nuclear. 

At the rate they're building windmills here in Michigan someone must know something.

If I'm not mistaken it called government assistance.  Just like E-Plants.

Don't matter though.  DTE will get their devaluation and then local government will have to make do with less.  Much less.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »

So who builds the batteries?  Panasonic maybe?  You seem to have all the answers.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

If I'm not mistaken it called government assistance.  Just like E-Plants.

Don't matter though.  DTE will get their devaluation and then local government will have to make do with less.  Much less.

I have no idea if they get government assistance for building wind plants or not.  I've been much more involved in how solar power is developing although the storage batteries would be identical.  I know there was a mandate several years ago for utilities in Michigan to have a certain percent of renewable energy by a certain date.  Solar is good but obviously not as good here as it is farther south. 

I would guess that with the way the wind plants are spread out around the state there is probably some wind blowing most of the time 'somewhere'.  Years ago when they first put up a few windmills just west of Bowling Green Ohio, we went over to check them out.  Even though there was no perceivable 'wind' on the ground those blades were turning just as nice as can be.  Would have been nice to know how many watts each was generating at any given time.  Maybe that's online somewhere by now. 

So who builds the batteries?  Panasonic maybe?  You seem to have all the answers.

I don't have anywhere near 'all' the answers...   if I did I'd get into politics!

In fact I got the few answers I do have by being involved and watching what is going on around me.

The right of way for he gas lines going to the Midland Co-Venture Generating station go right across our old family farm.  You couldn't help but learn a lot at the time because there was something in the paper almost every day.  Since that plant opened they have continued to add generators.  Seems like I read recently that they're working on two more right now.  This was the plant that was to be a nuke plant that almost bankrupted Consumers in the 80s.

A gas fired turbine kind of idles along and when power is needed at 'peak' demand times the operators throttle up the gas valve and in short order they have more electricity. 

The Consumer's plant in Luna Pier (now in the process of being dismantled)  had a fuel oil 'peaker' and around dinner time you would see the big puff of black smoke when they kicked it on although it was slower to react than the natural gas units are.

I think one of the new plants being built in Toledo (Oregon) will be nothing but a peaker plant.   

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up