MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Subject closed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Subject closed  (Read 512 times)

halo_girl

• Elite Talker
Subject closed
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »

I wanted to remove this but apparently I do not have permission to remove a post I put up - oh well. /color]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:55:39 PM by halo_girl »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Looking for reputable oil change place
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »

I wish you the best of luck but I cannot recommend anyone. 

The few times I've ever used one I've been disappointed or worse. 

I've always changed my own other than a very few exceptions. 

I would look for someone where the owner of the business is the person doing the work but I'm not sure if that situation exists anywhere around here. 

Hopefully someone will have some positive suggestions for you.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

halo_girl

• Elite Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »

I wish you the best of luck but I cannot recommend anyone. 

The few times I've ever used one I've been disappointed or worse. 

I've always changed my own other than a very few exceptions. 

I would look for someone where the owner of the business is the person doing the work but I'm not sure if that situation exists anywhere around here. 

Hopefully someone will have some positive suggestions for you.

Thank you BRD

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »

Occassionaly Auto dealers have a deal.  Buy 3 or 4 and get one free.  Obviously it's to get you in the shop and sell you some other services.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »

Occassionaly Auto dealers have a deal.  Buy 3 or 4 and get one free.  Obviously it's to get you in the shop and sell you some other services.

Most places just aren't making any money on just an oil change.  They have to sell you something else or they don't make anything on the job.

The last time I took anything in was my '83 Grand Marquis.  I had heavy oil in it and somehow winter 'snuck up' on me and we got a nasty cold snap.  I finally got the car started but didn't have time to change the oil.  I worked just north of Cole Road on Monroe and there was a place on the corner.  Still there but I'm not sure if it's the same owner. 

It was like minus 10 out and I drove it in and asked them to change the oil BUT not to touch anything else!!!  Of course that message never got to the tech and while the oil is draining I hear him opening the 'air box' that holds the air filter.  He brought the filter back to show me how 'dirty' it was.  I had changed it maybe a month before so it definitely was not that bad.  I told him just to put it back and NOT to touch anything else...   just finish the oil change.  The next time I went to change the air filter I found that one of the cam over clamps was broken...   too cold out when he ripped it open I think!!! 

Anyway, I her lots of horror stories from people.  The worst of course is if they either strip the drain plug or they don't tighten it when they put it back in.  Down the road (literally) the plug works it's way out and you see a little red light glowing on your dash board.  Most people can not react quick enough to shut the engine down before there is some damage >:( >:( >:(

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »

Thank you BRD

I'll have to ask my oldest daughter unless I can find it on Google maps.

There is a guy up fairly close to you.  He's on one of the roads that runs north and south between Telegraph and 75.  He's a tech at one of the Ford dealers downriver but does some work from his home shop.  I don't know if he takes 'new' patients or not.  A good mechanic is as hard to find as a good doctor. 

He had a car for sale that we went and looked at one time.  It was his sister's car and we never could make a deal on it but he sounded like he knew what he was doing. 

There were a couple of custom cars sitting around that he was working on but other than that it just looked like a nice house with a garage and an extra pole barn maybe.  It's been 5-6 years so maybe he's not even there anymore.  I'll look later.

halo_girl

• Elite Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »

I'll have to ask my oldest daughter unless I can find it on Google maps.

There is a guy up fairly close to you.  He's on one of the roads that runs north and south between Telegraph and 75.  He's a tech at one of the Ford dealers downriver but does some work from his home shop.  I don't know if he takes 'new' patients or not.  A good mechanic is as hard to find as a good doctor. 

He had a car for sale that we went and looked at one time.  It was his sister's car and we never could make a deal on it but he sounded like he knew what he was doing. 

There were a couple of custom cars sitting around that he was working on but other than that it just looked like a nice house with a garage and an extra pole barn maybe.  It's been 5-6 years so maybe he's not even there anymore.  I'll look later.

much appreciated :-)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »

I consider change oil, filters and stuff like that much easier to do yourself.  Besides I don't trust lube monkeys.  Wipers are so easy to change don't know why anyone would have them done in a garage in the first place.  New wipers ='s 5 minutes.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »

And most auto retail places will send the counter guy or gal out to put the wipers on, especially if you are a female..  I've seen them even change air filter

halo_girl

• Elite Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »

I consider change oil, filters and stuff like that much easier to do yourself.  Besides I don't trust lube monkeys.  Wipers are so easy to change don't know why anyone would have them done in a garage in the first place.  New wipers ='s 5 minutes.

never said we would have had them do the wipers, the fact being they flat out LIED to us by saying the wipers were fine when they clearly weren't.  As for doing it yourself, yes it obviously can be done but sometimes there is the owner's health to consider and for that reason, cannot be done at home.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »

Well, both BRD and myself are older as in retired. past 65, over the hill, etc.  I don't consider pulling a drain plug and spinning off an oil filter to be hard.

A 10 year old can do wipers.

Far as lying to you, you already knew the wipers were shot anyway. 

I was just at Firestone in Monroe on Dixie and I thought they were very professional, but then I just got a pair of Interstate batteries for my pickup which I installed myself, another easy peasy job.  Hard to find Interstate Batteries today.

Hopefully you aren't one of those people who succumb to the 'transmission flush' fiasco.  Don't even think about doing that...ever.  Especially if you are like most people and forget about your auto transmission.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »

Never had any rear ends or trannys flushed.  Once had coolant flushed 10-12 years ago when it seemed to turn to sludge after 10 years..I think that was in the early stages of Chrysler using the yellow stuff.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »

Never had any rear ends or trannys flushed.  Once had coolant flushed 10-12 years ago when it seemed to turn to sludge after 10 years..I think that was in the early stages of Chrysler using the yellow stuff.

If you do regular maintenance, change the fluid and filters, no issue.  If you don't like most people, big issue.  I do my own, drop the pan, change the fluid and pull the plug on the torque converter and drain that too.

No difference between an engine and a tranny, it gets hot and cold, only difference is no hydrocarbons in the oil, just heat and cool additive depletion.  Why American automakers deleted the drain plug.  They want it to fail.  All my pans have bulkhead fittings installed.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »

If you do regular maintenance, change the fluid and filters, no issue.  If you don't like most people, big issue.  I do my own, drop the pan, change the fluid and pull the plug on the torque converter and drain that too.

No difference between an engine and a tranny, it gets hot and cold, only difference is no hydrocarbons in the oil, just heat and cool additive depletion.  Why American automakers deleted the drain plug.  They want it to fail.  All my pans have bulkhead fittings installed.

How do you get a filter out and back in through a bulkhead fitting?

New transmissions are getting better and don't slip as much as they used to.  It was the slip that created heat and burned transmission clutches and pressure plates and therefor the fluid.  My mother in law had a Toyota Tundra with a sealed transmission.  Not even a dipstick to check the fluid level.

I had a 90s Dodge Shadow (actually had a few of them but that's a longer story) with a 3L Mitsubishi V6.  The transmission was the same one they put on the 2L 4 cylinder and it was easy with that engine in that car to get the transmission to slip.  When I got it the trans pan already had a couple of retainer bolt holes stripped out so I put helicoils in all of them.  I'd change the filter and fluid about every other engine oil change.  The fuel pump in the tank finally died and I just loaded it on the trailer and took it to the shredder. 

That car shouldn't have been on the road in the first place and I did't want some young kid getting it back on the road. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Subject closed
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »

I wanted to remove this but apparently I do not have permission to remove a post I put up - oh well. /color]

Once someone replies to any subject they it's stuck there.  As the original poster you used to be able to 'lock' the thread but it's been a long time since I tried to lock one.  When you lock it then people can still read what's there but no one else can post...

obviously it's not locked yet since I can still reply.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up