MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Subject closed

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subject closed  (Read 647 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Looking for reputable oil change place
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

How do you get a filter out and back in through a bulkhead fitting?

New transmissions are getting better and don't slip as much as they used to.  It was the slip that created heat and burned transmission clutches and pressure plates and therefor the fluid.  My mother in law had a Toyota Tundra with a sealed transmission.  Not even a dipstick to check the fluid level.

I had a 90s Dodge Shadow (actually had a few of them but that's a longer story) with a 3L Mitsubishi V6.  The transmission was the same one they put on the 2L 4 cylinder and it was easy with that engine in that car to get the transmission to slip.  When I got it the trans pan already had a couple of retainer bolt holes stripped out so I put helicoils in all of them.  I'd change the filter and fluid about every other engine oil change.  The fuel pump in the tank finally died and I just loaded it on the trailer and took it to the shredder. 

That car shouldn't have been on the road in the first place and I did't want some young kid getting it back on the road.

You remove the pan...lol  The bulkhead fitting alows you to drain the pan without making a mess in the driveway.  Ever pull a full trans pan and try to balance it without spilling the fluid...  guess not.

Heat is generated more in the torque converter than in the clutch packs anyway.  Modern boxes have full lock up overdrive anyway.  Power flow is straight through in OD but the converter is still rotating in fluid.

I'm a fluid guy, more the better.  My F350 has a B&M deep sump aluminum pan that increases the capacity by a gallon and a half. and it has a drain fitting too.  Change the fluid Dexron-Mercon 3 every year and the filter too.  Buy it in 5 gallon pails.  Fluid and filters are cheaper than a rebuild.

I think the Chevy HHR (defunct) had a sealed box too.  Bad business for the end user, cheaper to build however.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Looking for reputable oil change place
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »

You remove the pan...lol  The bulkhead fitting alows you to drain the pan without making a mess in the driveway.  Ever pull a full trans pan and try to balance it without spilling the fluid...  guess not.

Heat is generated more in the torque converter than in the clutch packs anyway.  Modern boxes have full lock up overdrive anyway.  Power flow is straight through in OD but the converter is still rotating in fluid.

I'm a fluid guy, more the better.  My F350 has a B&M deep sump aluminum pan that increases the capacity by a gallon and a half. and it has a drain fitting too.  Change the fluid Dexron-Mercon 3 every year and the filter too.  Buy it in 5 gallon pails.  Fluid and filters are cheaper than a rebuild.

I think the Chevy HHR (defunct) had a sealed box too.  Bad business for the end user, cheaper to build however.

Clutches and plates can slip and burn big time too.  I leaned to rebuild the 'in and out' boxes on marine drives.  No torque converter at all.  Just the plates to 'lock' things into forward and go direct drive or used a reversing band to put it into reverse.  They were all water cooled so even when they were slipping it took a lot to get them hot.  People did manage though!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Subject closed
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »

I've replaced a few clutches in my days though. I think 3 on my '60 Chev..And Ubolts a couple of times. It had the split drive shaft

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
Re: Subject closed
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:06:50 AM »

Once someone replies to any subject they it's stuck there.  As the original poster you used to be able to 'lock' the thread but it's been a long time since I tried to lock one.  When you lock it then people can still read what's there but no one else can post...

obviously it's not locked yet since I can still reply.

well my friend, you won't be able to reply after this comment; yesterday no matter where I looked the "lock topic" did not show up and now suddenly it does so I am officially locking all of the topics I started - I am done participating.  I try to make a point and feels like I am defending myself against stupid comments like I don't know what I am talking about, so be it.  People wonder why participation is down, hmmmm wonder why.  YOU were one of the very few I enjoyed interacting with; never felt judgement or anything like that so I will miss that but I am done.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up