MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th  (Read 7337 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

No one ever likes to see a tax increase but I don't have any problem supporting this one.  Having been involved with emergency services much of my working life I realize that seconds can be critical in some circumstances.  Our son is alive and healthy today because he happened to be in a county with an already enhanced system when he was hit walking along a road in the dark. 

We currently have 5 devices we'll be paying the fee (tax) on.  Money well spent if it save one life in Monroe County!!!

This money goes strictly to the 911 center and the amount will actually decrease after a couple of years. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180713/election-2018-central-dispatch-explains-9-1-1-surcharge-request
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »

I don't object to that fee.  I don't like the fee that provides for free phones for people that don't want to spend their drug money on one

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »

Vote NO on any new tax - no matter how well they sell it to you.

They have more money every single year in the form of the ever increasing Property Taxes.

They can "find" the funds if the voters are not gullible enough to keep giving them more.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »

They have more money every single year in the form of the ever increasing Property Taxes.

They can "find" the funds if the voters are not gullible enough to keep giving them more.

Are you talking about the multi millions in property taxes that DTE is going to soon quit paying?

Your property taxes are going to be going up plenty to cover their reduction. 

I don't know around the state or across the country how many emergency dispatch systems are paid for by property taxes but the two counties I'm familiar with are both funded by a fee (tax if you prefer that word) that was originally paid on your land line phone bill and more recently on your cell phone bill.  This upgrade will make it much easier and a lot quicker to locate you or your family members in the event of an emergency.

The young guy that died folded over in the back of the van a few months ago would have been alive today if they would have had this system.  They could get 'close' to him but couldn't find him in a large parking lot. 

Our son got hit a few years ago down in Wood County and the 911 operator was able to stop the ambulance within 10-15 feet from where he was laying out in a field.  With what we have here now the ambulance and FD would have had to drive up and down the road until they spotted him out in the field. 

You can do this now but it won't help unless you're in an area that has Smart911.  Lots of info and you can sign up here:

https://smart911.com/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »

DTE doesn't exist to pay property taxes.

They exist to provide electricity and natural gas to customers.

Sorry if the local Monroe County Governments have had it easy for a long time, and didn't set themselves up for success.

My answer is still NO on any new tax - or "fee" if you prefer to call it that.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »

DTE doesn't exist to pay property taxes.

They exist to provide electricity and natural gas to customers.

Sorry if the local Monroe County Governments have had it easy for a long time, and didn't set themselves up for success.

My answer is still NO on any new tax - or "fee" if you prefer to call it that.

I never said or implied that DTE should or should not pay property taxes.  Sounds like a nice subject for a new thread. 

You were trying to mix property taxes with communications equipment fees and I was merely pointing that out. 

I take it from your original statement then that you feel the entire 911 system should be funded by property taxes as opposed to the current 'system'!?

A direct question...

are you opposed to the new system or are you only opposed to paying for it?

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »

Good point. If revenues are growing naturally as property values increase, or more sales taxes generated, or from a growing economy where does this increase in revenue go. Is it all needed to cover increasing costs or do they have a surplus? Why is it government always seem to spend every dime it gets and needs additional "new" taxes to make improvements? Then they get the increase and make the improvement. Then we have a recession, revenues go down, expenses continue to go up and they start juggling the books and talking about this or that tax (rate) hasn't increased in decades. And so it goes.       
John Kopke

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »

Article from the MonroeNews about the proposed improvements.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180714/central-dispatch-asking-voters-to-help-improve-services-for-county

The Monroe County Firefighters Asociation is supporting the proposal.

I also saw there is a 'citizens committee' that is supporting it. 

This is one of the tools that could ultimately save fire departments across the county money and therefore ultimately save 'property taxes' in the long run. 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »

Good point. If revenues are growing naturally as property values increase, or more sales taxes generated, or from a growing economy where does this increase in revenue go. Is it all needed to cover increasing costs or do they have a surplus? Why is it government always seem to spend every dime it gets and needs additional "new" taxes to make improvements? Then they get the increase and make the improvement. Then we have a recession, revenues go down, expenses continue to go up and they start juggling the books and talking about this or that tax (rate) hasn't increased in decades. And so it goes.     

The one rule of Government is Government always needs more.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

I never said or implied that DTE should or should not pay property taxes.  Sounds like a nice subject for a new thread. 

You were trying to mix property taxes with communications equipment fees and I was merely pointing that out. 

I take it from your original statement then that you feel the entire 911 system should be funded by property taxes as opposed to the current 'system'!?

A direct question...

are you opposed to the new system or are you only opposed to paying for it?

A direct answer.

Taxes on cell phones, land lines, these "fees" as you like to call them is just another way to separate us from our money.

Let me see all the ways Government likes to separate us from our money.

Property taxes.
Sales taxes.
Fees for "Permits."
Fees on Services
Fees on Utilities
Income Taxes
Licensing Fees
Insurance Taxes - AKA Social Security and Medicare.
My favorite - big taxes on hotel rooms - so you can get people from out of town to pay for your stuff too.  Jazz fest anyone?
A new favorite - Patriotic Tariffs - which is just another type of sales tax.

The list goes on and on.

I get to use what is left over, and that works out to maybe half of what I make.

I think I should be able to keep more of what I make, and Government should cut out much of the silly **** it has decided it needs to do so it can spend the money where it is actually needed.

I think 911 is a necessary thing - if Government in fact really wants to provide the emergency services that it claims it is the only viable source for.

I just think they already have enough of my money, and they should spend it where it has the most impact.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

The one rule of Government is Government always needs more.

Don't paint with such a wide brush....

I have never lived in a city or village in my life although our place in Florida is just barely within the city limits.

I have always found townships to be generally fiscally responsible and very careful with taxpayer's money.

I know first hand how far a township fire department can go at stretching money.  Too bad all levels of government can't use a similar model.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »

I have never lived in a city or village in my life although our place in Florida is just barely within the city limits.

I have always found townships to be generally fiscally responsible and very careful with taxpayer's money.

I know first hand how far a township fire department can go at stretching money.  Too bad all levels of government can't use a similar model.

You forgot the lottery!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »

I now live in a Township whose office is only open 3 days a week - in the mornings.

They contract with surrounding Governmental Units for their fire protection - that way they don't need to waste money building a fire building or buying equipment.

They don't pay the county extortion money to get Sheriff patrols all their citizens already pay for with County taxes.

So far they haven't decided they need to assess money to fix roads - since all of the Citizens pretty well already for that also through any number of other agencies at the county, state, and Federal level.  Not sure how long this will last though - since those other Governmental units are doing such a bang up job.

Pension Bomb?  The Township doesn't have one - since it doesn't seem to have any full time employees.

Garbage Tax?  Nope.  I get to pick and pay my own provider.  Perfect - it costs me less that way then having a helpful Government negotiate a higher fee for me.

Compare this picture to the City of Monroe - where vital functions include taking care of a National Park, providing shots for Heroin OD's, building new buildings cause they didn't take care of the buildings they had, Not taking the lowest bidder for refuse - because....  I don't know the answer for that....  bribery maybe?  Oh yes - and they pay about 80K a year for a "communications director" to make the website harder to use and run a facebook page.  They are going to be sucking wind when DTE quits paying for 40% of their folly. 

And you know what?  I don't feel bad for the City of Monroe.  Those people deserve what they get.  I am proud to follow the stream of people that can leave town on out.  I just wish I could write off the Capital Loss on what I lost on the house there.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »

I now live in a Township whose office is only open 3 days a week - in the mornings.

They contract with surrounding Governmental Units for their fire protection - that way they don't need to waste money building a fire building or buying equipment.

They don't pay the county extortion money to get Sheriff patrols all their citizens already pay for with County taxes.

So far they haven't decided they need to assess money to fix roads - since all of the Citizens pretty well already for that also through any number of other agencies at the county, state, and Federal level.  Not sure how long this will last though - since those other Governmental units are doing such a bang up job.

Pension Bomb?  The Township doesn't have one - since it doesn't seem to have any full time employees.

Garbage Tax?  Nope.  I get to pick and pay my own provider.  Perfect - it costs me less that way then having a helpful Government negotiate a higher fee for me.

Compare this picture to the City of Monroe - where vital functions include taking care of a National Park, providing shots for Heroin OD's, building new buildings cause they didn't take care of the buildings they had, Not taking the lowest bidder for refuse - because....  I don't know the answer for that....  bribery maybe?  Oh yes - and they pay about 80K a year for a "communications director" to make the website harder to use and run a facebook page.  They are going to be sucking wind when DTE quits paying for 40% of their folly. 

And you know what?  I don't feel bad for the City of Monroe.  Those people deserve what they get.  I am proud to follow the stream of people that can leave town on out.  I just wish I could write off the Capital Loss on what I lost on the house there.

You'd be surprised how many people don't pay any attention to any of those items.  Many are only focused on the home itself (it looks just like the one in the magazine) or a particular school district. 

Out of curiosity are you in an area that has smart 911 already?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »

You forgot the lottery!!!

That is a fully voluntary fee that only dumb people partake in.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up