MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th  (Read 2629 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I will be supporting the 911 surcharge increase on August 7th
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »

That's a stretch thinking politicians will lower taxes because they have enough money.

We're seeing at the federal level every day and I'm not convinced they have 'enough' money.  They're banking heavily that they'll have the money down the road!   

Yes, we may not see a true reduction in taxes but hopefully we'll see a scenario where they have enough surplus generated from this new technology to not have to raise taxes to cover something else.  You can't always look at the headlines "New Higher Tax" but rather sit down with John and 'count the beans'.  Old saying is "the devil is in the details". 

I'm not spending near as much time 'working' and I hope to be able to follow my township and  County government a little closer.  I might even get on a committee or two.  I've spent the last 25+ years being involved with our trade associations 'Government Affairs' committee although that has involved following and face to face with out state and federal legislators.  Our association has some lobbyists and they report back to us as to how well the various representatives do at voting our issues. 

I know several of the current and former County Board members and a few of the people that have been trying to get elected.  I'll be doing some lobbying of my own when I can and I'm not bashful so I don't mind speaking out if I support or oppose a particular issue.  Obviously I follow the 911 dispatch system pretty closely and have a pretty fair understanding of what is happening behind the scene. 

My other pet peeve is the road commission but not sure if my heart would be strong enough to get involved down there :-\ :-\ :-\
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »

I'm sorry but our politicians at all levels have led me to believe they are crooks.  yeah, there are some good guys with the right intentions but they are outshouted and shoved aside

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »

I'm sorry but our politicians at all levels have led me to believe they are crooks.  yeah, there are some good guys with the right intentions but they are outshouted and shoved aside

This is interesting...

I was just clicking through this and came back to see your post.  I'm not sure how much research they did on this article but it follows right along with what you say.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-b/the-most-dishonest-profession?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=twt_honest&utm_content=twt_honest_a02_v01

I've found most township level and county level politicians to be fairly honest. 

Part of that is they have to 'walk amongst us'...

they live down the road and they go to our church or their kids go to school with our kids.  I see them in the grocery or the hardware store.  I see them at Trapperz or R Diner. 

It's hard for them to 'hide out' from the people they represent. 

County Commissioners are theoretically not representing either party although frequently they are active members in one party or the other.  For the most part they stay away from voting along the 'who is right' line and tend to stay focused on 'what is right'.

By the time you get to congress we really don't need them to vote on anything.  You can almost always just predict that they will be voting along 'party' lines.  We don't need people with a brain to do that.  It would be a lot cheaper to just send robots!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »

Yea, at the county level I always thought Oley was so worthless that neither party would allow him to run on their ticket.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »

That's a stretch thinking politicians will lower taxes because they have enough money.

+1.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »

They spend all they have before the end of the budget cycle and say they need more so their budget is increased next time..

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »

Well the gigantic percentage increase passed. My guess is people voted for it because "how can you vote against improving the system, and thereby save lives."

Well I'm all for saving lives, but I also want a little sanity in government financing. There is no long term, or even mid-term, planning. It's always bordering on a crisis. And the end result is we always end up paying more on top of what we're already paying.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:19:18 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #127 on: Today at 08:50:19 AM »

Well the gigantic percentage increase passed. My guess is people voted for it because "how can you vote against improving the system, and thereby save lives."

Well I'm all for saving lives, but I also want a little sanity in government financing. There is no long term, or even mid-term, planning. It's always bordering on a crisis. And the end result is we always end up paying more on top of what we're already paying.

I'd say that's a safe guess.  Fortunately there are still a number of patriots out there that aren't so 'short sighted' and think of more than themselves. 

I'm sure somehow John will be able to count enough beans to figure out how to come up with that $2. 

Maybe we can put together a list of $2 cost cutters if you're having trouble!

I'm the one that's going to need help.  I have 3 phones and i know will get the surcharge and a tablet that has a phone number even though it doesn't operate as a phone.  I'm guessing I'll get the surcharge on that too. 

I have a Verizon MiFi unit that I will argue with them about though if they do charge it on that.  No phone abilities with that one!

So, I'm up to a whopping $8 a month.

Last night we stopped by Monroe's Original for Coney Dogs and it was $8 and change plus a $2 tip! 

We can either skip coney dogs one night a month or I suppose I could just stiff the waitress 4 times a month and that will cover it.

See....

problem solved and I only had to count wienies and no beans ;D ;D ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #128 on: Today at 08:54:30 AM »

Two different times yesterday came on the fire frequency and activated the 'all page' which sets off (theoretically anyway) every fire related radio device in the county.  Both times a similar message that Central's console would be down for a short time while they were installing upgrades to the system.  They have two independent consoles and it happened twice so sounds like they upgraded both consoles.

I'm wondering if this was already the upgrade we just passed or if this was something just for general maintenance?

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #129 on: Today at 10:28:21 AM »

It's not the money.  It's the idea that governments generally just ask for more instead of cutting back where you suggest we do.
They never made a good case for the extra funding.  Only needed a million bucks but put a surcharge on forever..

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #130 on: Today at 11:12:36 AM »

That’s a point I will strongly agree with.

Government always wants more money without doing their part to cut expenses. No matter how much money they collect, they will spend it all and want more in the very near future.

That “pork barrel” is something that seriously needs a lockable lid.

We’ve all read stories about hundreds of thousands of tax dollars spent on things like studies for “ Do fruit flies like reggae music better than jazz? “

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up