MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > My Favorite Thing about Monroe is.......

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Favorite Thing about Monroe is.......  (Read 682 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
My Favorite Thing about Monroe is.......
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »

Getting a Pizza at Detroit Beach
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: My Favorite Thing about Monroe is.......
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »

Getting a Pizza at Detroit Beach

We were there for a lunch pizza just a couple of weeks ago.

They're just as good as ever!!!
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »

Monroes original and desert at Dannys custard.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »

Monroes original and desert at Dannys custard.

We were at Monroe's Original last week for lunch but I stay away from Danny's Custard (too much sugar).

Too many trips to Zelda's over the years when they were the closest to Monroe's Original.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »

We were there for a lunch pizza just a couple of weeks ago.

They're just as good as ever!!!

Yes they are!

I may have to go get one on Friday.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »

Anyone besides me a fan of the Gingko tree in front of Dorsch and over on Hollywood?

What a lovely plant.....
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »

Everything I need is right here......well, except White Castle.   ;D

Overall, I really like the town/area but never had the opportunity to see it back in the old days; I bet it was a sight to behold.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

White Castle was a special treat...  when you had to go to West or Ford Roads to get one.

Having one in Monroe ruined it for me....  I think forever.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »

Once in a great while I would crave them, still do.  It was so convenient to make that hop up Telegraph for me to go get that craving satisfied.

Another thing I like about Monroe are the people, almost everyone I have met here were reasonable and personable folks.  Note I said "almost".   ;D

I like being a hop, skip, and a jump away to the airport too so another thing is the location.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »

My favorite thing about Monroe is I only have to go there every 3 or 5 years to renew my license

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 12:08:26 AM »

My favorite thing about Monroe is I only have to go there every 3 or 5 years to renew my license

+1  My CCW.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »

White Castle was a special treat...  when you had to go to West or Ford Roads to get one.

Having one in Monroe ruined it for me....  I think forever.

I still hit West Road for White Castle when we're up there. 

Back when I was still working at the marina one of the gals had a Z28 and one day a week we would pile into that and 'fly' up to West Road and grab a bag and then eat in the car on the way back.  I've often wondered what her husband thought when he got into the car after one of our lunches :o :o :o

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »

Everytime we go to the Castle for a bag of sliders, I (at least) get the squirts.  I can get that at McDees and it's closer.  Square fish sandwich, order of greasy fries and a drink is my ticket to 'run'.

Speaking of McDees, they have really went downhill in food quality and up in pricing.  The fries used to be good, now they are tasteless and don't let them get cold.  The coagulate into a greasy, mushy mess.

Glad we have a Culvers (in Adrian).  For the same price as McDees or Arby's you get to sit on real cushions instead of blow moulded plastic and the food is over the top.  best fries and onion rings I've ever had and the quality is very consistent too.  They have a killer shrimp (deep fried) dinner and the fish filet dinner is great as well.

Plus, all the gals are very easy on the eyes..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »

Everytime we go to the Castle for a bag of sliders, I (at least) get the squirts.  I can get that at McDees and it's closer.  Square fish sandwich, order of greasy fries and a drink is my ticket to 'run'.

Speaking of McDees, they have really went downhill in food quality and up in pricing.  The fries used to be good, now they are tasteless and don't let them get cold.  The coagulate into a greasy, mushy mess.

Glad we have a Culvers (in Adrian).  For the same price as McDees or Arby's you get to sit on real cushions instead of blow moulded plastic and the food is over the top.  best fries and onion rings I've ever had and the quality is very consistent too.  They have a killer shrimp (deep fried) dinner and the fish filet dinner is great as well.

Plus, all the gals are very easy on the eyes..... ;D

A few years ago Mickey D switched the grease they cook their fries in to something more healthy. 

I hate to think of how many gallons of the 'unhealthy' stuff I've 'processed'!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »

I'm pretty fond of going out to the Calder Farm and getting a cone and watching the livestock.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up