MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > How is your garden doing this year...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is your garden doing this year...  (Read 292 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
How is your garden doing this year...
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »

Not much garden talk anymore...

I have a huge garden every year.  It supplies us over the winter with garden vegetables.

I planted about an acre of various stuff.  Potatoes, 5 varieties, Norgold, Red Pontiac, Maine Ruusets (got them right from Maine in certified seed potatoes from my good Friend Jerry who lives in Bangor), Kennebec and Purple russets.

7 Brussels Sprouts plants, a load of green beans (have at least 30 bushes of them), a couple hundred onion sets, whites and reds, 4 zuchini plants (for Joyce's Market) to make zuchini bread from, beets, cabbage (already cut and fermenting in crocks for sauerkraut) Ambrosia sweet corn and yellow, red and green sweet peppers.

Pulled about half the beets today and CL and I made 4 quarts of pickled beets.  We have pout up about 15 zip lock bags of green beans (in the freezer already), I can pick beans every other day now.

Despite the lack of rain (I've had to water the garden every 3 days, it's doing pretty good.

I'm into canning and filling the root cellar with vegetabes.

I bid on a large cider press with grinder at a local auction house.  Hope I get it, I have enough apple trees to make plenty of cider and I'll share too.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: How is your garden doing this year...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

Can't beat locally made cider that comes unpasteurized.  like the stuff i buy at Bennett's.

I can't imagine keeping up with an acre.  i use to have a garden of 125 x 100 that was almost full time work.  Now i'm down to just 25x25 with tomatoes, peppers and cukes.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: How is your garden doing this year...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

No cukes this year, CL and I are 'cuked out' for a while.  Glad I found out the 'secret ingredient' to keep the wilt at bay...

I am going to buy a furrower attachment for the tiller to eliminate the hand work in furrowing for potatoes.  That is a job I don't care for.

I have to pick a load of zuchini's for Joyce's Market.  I have a boatload of them in various sizes from little ones to blockbusters.

Told CL to start saving plastic gallon jugs, just in case I get the mill.  Probably freeze some and drink the rest and give it away too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:32:35 AM by SidecarFlip »
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up