MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Michigan's Gettysburg? River Raisin kicks off $100 million redevelopment

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michigan's Gettysburg? River Raisin kicks off $100 million redevelopment  (Read 615 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

This could probably go under several different categories but since it's got so much "Battle of Frenchtown" history involved I'm going to post it here.  I expect a lot of discussion that this is all 'pie in the sky' and it will never happen.  Monroe doesn't have much else to draw people so maybe even the naysayers need to jump in front of the bandwagon and start pulling for it. 

We've been to Antietam and Gettysburg (both civil war battle sites north of the Mason Dixon Line) and countless civil war battle sites in the south.  The key will be getting enough for people to see at the battle site that they won't be in and out in an hour. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/27/gettysburg-michigan-river-raisin-redevelopment/1073413002/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Here's an article about a man building near the battle field and his property will 'blend' with the surrounding area.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180827/barn-under-construction-to-be-part-of-french-canadian-homestead
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

A Detroit News article on the project and it explains where the first shot of funding is coming from:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/2018/08/27/monroe-battle-river-raisin-frenchtown/1088204002/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

So, is this $30M annually a 'pie in the sky' figure or is that a realistic projection ??? ??? ???

There will obviously have to be a lot more here for people to see than what there is now and that appears to be the direction they're moving in with the redevelopment.  Comparing this battle to Gettysburg seems like a stretch too. 

1.  The battle was much, much smaller.  Several hundred involved here and thousands and thousand at Gettysburg.

2.  People have a way of forgetting over time and there's been more time since the Battle of Frenchtown for people to forget. 

3.  I've posted here before that even though the battle of Frenchtown was much more critical to the outcome of the War of 1812 it is the Battle of New Orleans that is best remembered and has it's own song!!!  The British regulars fought the battle in NO and it was mostly the Native Americans and loyal Canadians that opposed the US here.  Maybe it's the catchy song that makes people remember the battle more than this one here.  The Battle of New Orleans actually was fought a few days after the war had been declared over. 

Where are all of our songwriters out there?  We need a catchy song!!!  Johnny Horton is long gone so we'll need someone to sing too.

This version actually has a bit of the history of the song and how Johnny Horton picked it up.  I doubt there were too many artists in the 50s that could have made such a hit.

The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

From Toledo 13ABC Toledo:

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Historic-River-Raisin-Battlegrounds-to-draw-more-tourists-491844711.html

a "History Corridor" that would link the historic battleground with Sterling State Park, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Eagle Island Marsh, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources wetlands and wildlife habitat east of I-75 and north of the River Raisin, properties south of the River Raisin including Hellenberg Field, Soldiers and Sailors Park, and historic and cultural resources in downtown Monroe.

I'm familiar with everything on that list except the Eagle Island or Eagle Island Marsh.  I don't think I ever even heard of that one.  Maybe someone has been busy handing out some creative names :-\ :-\ :-\

NewDawn

• Hero Talker

Looks like it was a part of Ford's, on E. Elm.   https://www.monroemi.gov/v_i_s_i_t_o_r_s/about_monroe_/history/preservation/
everyday is a new beginning....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Looks like it was a part of Ford's, on E. Elm.   https://www.monroemi.gov/v_i_s_i_t_o_r_s/about_monroe_/history/preservation/

Thank You 'NewDawn'...

you've been poking around in the River Raisin 'Delta' area!  I still think you should have been DeltaDawn!!!

Interesting...  I thought I knew that area like the back of my hand so I didn't even look there.  Sometimes it's so hard to see the 'obvious'.  I really figured it was going to be more to the north and maybe actually in the Detroit River area.

One of my all time favorite hits from the 70s!  And yes I know a few other gals named Dawn and they hear this every time we get together. 

Tanya Tucker - Delta Dawn

Pages: [1]   Go Up